List Mgmt. 2013 LIST MANAGEMENT thread - Finalised

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Sylvia chat is ridiculous. We NEED him to resign. We have the worst midfield in the comp and are desperate for mature bodies and experience in the middle and people are suggesting we just let Sylvia walk? Anyone who watched us play at all can tell where our deficiency lies. Whether or not he has lived up to his talent is irrelevant at this stage but cutting a 27 year old veteran with 155 games of AFL experience given the current make up of our midfield would be insanely shortsighted, Bailey/Prendagast-esque. We need more experience and talent in the middle, not less. We need to rebuild our midfield, not start again from scratch. If Sylvia left, Jack Trengove would be our second most experienced midfielder. Not even Roos can do anything with that.

This Sylvia chat is ridiculous. We NEED him to resign. We have the worst midfield in the comp and are desperate for mature bodies and experience in the middle and people are suggesting we just let Sylvia walk? Anyone who watched us play at all can tell where our deficiency lies. Whether or not he has lived up to his talent is irrelevant at this stage but cutting a 27 year old veteran with 155 games of AFL experience given the current make up of our midfield would be insanely shortsighted, Bailey/Prendagast-esque. We need more experience and talent in the middle, not less. We need to rebuild our midfield, not start again from scratch. If Sylvia left, Jack Trengove would be our second most experienced midfielder. Not even Roos can do anything with that.
put a dash in your main emphasis in your post... cheers

I just get the feeling that Sylvia is the sort of player that could (finally!) flourish under Roos, if he applies himself 100%.

Based on his comments I'm certain Roos wants to keep him; most likely for the reasons you've outlined. We really lose nothing by keeping him, and could gain plenty if he finally kicks on.

Paul Roos is a genius, comes in and for once does what a new coach should actually do. Doesn't delist anyone of any worth, bye bye Brian Royal finally, bye Leigh Brown, and got rid of some of that dead weight Neeld picked up. Full marks on delistings and assistants leaving so far. :thumbsu:

Paul Roos is a genius, comes in and for once does what a new coach should actually do. Doesn't delist anyone of any worth, bye bye Brian Royal finally, bye Leigh Brown, and got rid of some of that dead weight Neeld picked up. Full marks on delistings and assistants leaving so far. :thumbsu:
AND YAY FOR KEEPING JETTA AND MAGNER <3

Not necessarily re: Jetta, but I don't think there's any real need to delist ALL the players at this stage. I'm surprised he didn't go with the others today, but maybe there is some trade table interest (can we fleece Richmond again?) or, alternatively, maybe we will delist one or two more based on trade week results/PSD prospects.

Yep. No point delisting unless you've got people in mind to bring in to replace them.

----------​

And anyone who wants to lose Sylvia to FA can GAGF.

worrying trend (like all years) b+c does not equal a, NOT EVEN WITH E THROWN IN! STOP SUGGESTING IT... (I am done)

Hard to believe that even after we've cleared 7 players (currently 6 senior spots available) there are still so many lucky to be on the list.

3 rookies left. Magner technically can go another year but given he is mature age they'll probably either promote him or let him go. Clisby a possible upgrade.

Hard to believe that even after we've cleared 7 players (currently 6 senior spots available) there are still so many lucky to be on the list.

3 rookies left. Magner technically can go another year but given he is mature age they'll probably either promote him or let him go. Clisby a possible upgrade.
promoted mid season wasnt he?

promoted mid season wasnt he?
That was just a temporary elevation during the season similar to LTI replacements. He's still a rookie.

For permanent promotion to the senior list it has to be done as part of list lodgement 1 on October 31. They actually call them out at the National Draft these days after the regular picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For mine, it makes no sense to promote Clisby to the senior list when you can effectively have him at your disposal anyway via the Rookie List.

Use the extra spot on a FA eg Cross
It depends how many more spots we open up but it's a fair point. A second year probably wouldn't hurt him but there are no guarantees that he'll have a spot to be elevated at any time during the first half of the season.

It depends how many more spots we open up but it's a fair point. A second year probably wouldn't hurt him but there are no guarantees that he'll have a spot to be elevated at any time during the first half of the season.

Isn't there a rule where each club names a nominated rookie prior to the start of the season that can play from then on (effectively a senior listed player)?

Isn't there a rule where each club names a nominated rookie prior to the start of the season that can play from then on (effectively a senior listed player)?
Mid season.

Under the old veterans rule you could nominate one full year in lieu of a veteran.

Sylvia had a pretty good consistent year this season and you are insane to think that we would get something more valuable than him in compensation.

I want to see what Roos can do with Col.

Didn't say it'd be more "valuable", but I'd rather we got something for him. Obviously the opinion on him across the board varies pretty widely, but I don't think he's a great (or even a good) player and at the end of the day who cares what Roos can do with him because he's most likely only got a few years left anyway.

Depends how you look at it. We were by far the worst midfield in the competition this year, despite having Nathan Jones in the middle as well as this 27 year old veteran with 155 games of AFL experience who is far from a clearance machine despite having all the attributes you'd think one would need to get the job done. I don't think he plays well as a midfielder and his best position is as a lead up forward because the only thing he's really good at other than being mediocre is having set shots for goal. He'd look better in a better team but he doesn't do all that much for us. We would be weaker for a time, but I don't think the difference would be that much worse than it is now, and we'd still have time to remedy it in the FA / trade period.

We can still add players like Cross who at least have runs on the board in terms of performance and consistency, and chase Adams and a few other names at the trade table. Why hang on to a bloke who has been underwhelming most of his career and has only started to turn the corner now at 27/28 when free agency popped up.

And it's not all about experience. If we had the choice of Wines or Sylvia in the midfield, I'd go with Wines every time. Never mind the respective ages.

Depends how you look at it. We were by far the worst midfield in the competition this year, despite having Nathan Jones in the middle as well as this 27 year old veteran with 155 games of AFL experience who is far from a clearance machine despite having all the attributes you'd think one would need to get the job done. I don't think he plays well as a midfielder and his best position is as a lead up forward because the only thing he's really good at other than being mediocre is having set shots for goal. He'd look better in a better team but he doesn't do all that much for us. We would be weaker for a time, but I don't think the difference would be that much worse than it is now, and we'd still have time to remedy it in the FA / trade period.

We can still add players like Cross who at least have runs on the board in terms of performance and consistency, and chase Adams and a few other names at the trade table. Why hang on to a bloke who has been underwhelming most of his career and has only started to turn the corner now at 27/28 when free agency popped up.

And it's not all about experience. If we had the choice of Wines or Sylvia in the midfield, I'd go with Wines every time. Never mind the respective ages.

Because if you go to the mfc website col is in our top 5 for tackles disposals and inside 50's

Yes he isn't a very good midfielder at all but he was consistent last year , he just needs someone to teach him how to be an a grade midfielder , he is a better forward but until we are getting 70 inside 50's a game we can't afford to have him forward

People are dumb if they think we should get rid of him unless an amazing deal comes across us eg pick 5

Because if you go to the mfc website col is in our top 5 for tackles disposals and inside 50's

Yes he isn't a very good midfielder at all but he was consistent last year , he just needs someone to teach him how to be an a grade midfielder , he is a better forward but until we are getting 70 inside 50's a game we can't afford to have him forward

People are dumb if they think we should get rid of him unless an amazing deal comes across us eg pick 5

Someone has to be in the top 5. Trengove is 5th and he had a pretty underwhelming year, but at least he's got time on his side.

As for teaching him to be an A Grade midfielder, Roos would want to do it pretty damn sharp or he might just get him up to scratch by the time he retires.

I won't be gutted if he stays, but let's not pretend he's some crucial piece of the puzzle because he never has been and turning 28 next year (given the state of our list and where we're at in terms of competing for the pot) he never will be. There won't be any amazing deals for him, but if a 2nd round pick was our compo for him going, I'd take that over a couple of years of downhill skiing while we climb to the heights of 14th.

Someone has to be in the top 5. Trengove is 5th and he had a pretty underwhelming year, but at least he's got time on his side.

As for teaching him to be an A Grade midfielder, Roos would want to do it pretty damn sharp or he might just get him up to scratch by the time he retires.

I won't be gutted if he stays, but let's not pretend he's some crucial piece of the puzzle because he never has been and turning 28 next year (given the state of our list and where we're at in terms of competing for the pot) he never will be. There won't be any amazing deals for him, but if a 2nd round pick was our compo for him going, I'd take that over a couple of years of downhill skiing while we climb to the heights of 14th.

I want him to get a big offer so we can hopefully get an early compo for him.

Paul Roos has not wasted any time and not a minute too soon.

What do you guys think about the potential of trading Gawn? What would his value be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back