NFL 2013 NFL - Off-Season & Pre-Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury prone*

10 games in 4 years, with 7 of those coming last year. So three in three years, which is previously better than.... A whole heckuva lotta SB team leading WRs...

Get a clue peeps. This is worse than the Chism argument.
And all the bloody preseasons with his migraines? Only going downhill from here

ProFootballCentral‏@PFCentral
The Green Bay Packers are going to release S Charles Woodson. They hope to bring him back in lesser deal. Woodson will explore other options

Tampa Bay Buccaneers are expected to release CB Eric Wright this offseason.

The Dallas Cowboys are unlikely to re-sign free-agent CB Mike Jenkins.

The Kansas City Chiefs and Detroit Lions will inquire about the availability of Dallas Cowboys WR Miles Austin.

The Green Bay Packers are going to release S Charles Woodson. They hope to bring him back in lesser deal. Woodson will explore other options
What other options? Who is going to want a 36 year old safety who has lost a step and is well past his prime? Will end up back in GB for 1 more year before retiring with hopefully another ring.

And all the bloody preseasons with his migraines? Only going downhill from here
Four years ago? Ones that have no impact on his actual output any more, as obvious by the minimal amount of games lost across those three years, one due to a hamstring strain.

One unlucky injury and it's 'all downhill'.

You gotta watch more football Larks ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eight NFL teams still looking for answer at quarterback

Mike Garafolo, USA TODAY Sports2:14a.m. EST February 12, 2013

2013-02-11-sanchez-tebow-4_3_r536_c534.jpg

Story Highlights

• Plenty of teams could be making a switch under center in 2013
  • 49ers QB Alex Smith and Seahawks QB Matt Flynn will be two of the most popular targets
  • The Jets likely will hold on to Mark Sanchez, but he could face competition for the starting spot
The Philadelphia Eagles might have settled on their quarterbacks for 2013, but here are eight teams with a quarterback situation that's mildly to majorly unsettled:

Arizona Cardinals:
"I'm not ready to give up on Kevin Kolb yet." Those were the words of team President Michael Bidwill on New Year's Day. Could anything have changed in the last six weeks after the promotion of new general manager Steve Keim and the hiring of offensive-minded coach Bruce Arians?

Perhaps, but it doesn't look like it. Arizona seems set on sticking with Kolb, albeit likely at a lower rate than the $11.5 million he's owed in 2013.

FREE AGENCY: Slim pickings at quarterback

Buffalo Bills:
Coach Doug Marrone and incoming rookie Ryan Nassib. From Syracuse to Buffalo. Seriously, could it be any easier or more perfect of a match? Ryan Fitzpatrick just hasn't played well enough for long enough in Buffalo. He could serve as a placeholder for Nassib or another youngster. But he's not long for that job — or Buffalo.

Cleveland Browns:
A CBS Sports report this week that Browns CEO Joe Banner badly wants to upgrade from Brandon Weeden is the latest in a series of indications Banner isn't infatuated with Weeden.

As with all teams looking for a quick fix, it won't be easy, because there isn't much in the draft. So maybe Banner, who lost a faceoff with the Eagles over coach Chip Kelly, is about to get locked into another one with Kansas City Chiefs boss Andy Reid. The prize? San Francisco 49ers backup Alex Smith.

Jacksonville Jaguars:
Wait, remember what new GM Dave Caldwell said about Tim Tebow? Oh right: "I can't imagine a scenario in which he'll be a Jacksonville Jaguar. Even if he's released." Well, that settles that. As this quote from Caldwell from a recent Florida Times-Union story does about whether Caldwell will bump Blaine Gabbert out of a starting job: "We need to build around him. We'll upgrade whenever we can upgrade."

NFL: Five who might break out in 2013

Kansas City Chiefs:
Reid is not going to start the season with Matt Cassel as his quarterback. Cassel, set to earn a base salary of $7.5 million, might not even be on the roster very long. No, Reid is going to make a move — he has to if he wants to compete right away.

A trade for Smith makes a lot of sense. But so would dealing for Seattle Seahawks backup Matt Flynn, who was drafted by the Green Bay Packers when current Chiefs GM John Dorsey was the Packers' director of college scouting.

New York Jets:
New general manager John Idzik can thank former GM Mike Tannenbaum for handcuffing him to Mark Sanchez for one more season. That doesn't mean Sanchez won't face competition. Idzik, who came to the Jets from the Seahawks, is expected to take a look at former Seahawk Tarvaris Jackson. And don't rule out Idzik sniffing around Flynn.

Oakland Raiders:
They haven't asked Carson Palmer to take a pay cut from his $13 million base salary, but it's only a matter of time. Palmer has lost twice as many games as he's won (an 8-16 record) and has thrown 35 touchdowns to 30 interceptions. Not good enough. And Terrelle Pryor's presence is enough leverage to force Palmer's hand.

Tennessee Titans:
The quarterback isn't changing. The scheme is. Underrated athlete Jake Locker could be running the read option or taking snaps out of the pistol formation. "We're definitely going to look at all that stuff," offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains said last week, "just like every team in the NFL is going do."

How does Tucker top Walsh?

According to Football Outsiders, Tucker was the best Kicker in the league by a fair margin. He was 1st on kick-off value and 3rd on FGs. Plus he's had to kick in more clutch situations.

That said, I don't think you could really go wrong with any of the 3 hyped rookie kickers (Tucker, Walsh, Zuerlein)

According to Football Outsiders, Tucker was the best Kicker in the league by a fair margin. He was 1st on kick-off value and 3rd on FGs. Plus he's had to kick in more clutch situations.

That said, I don't think you could really go wrong with any of the 3 hyped rookie kickers (Tucker, Walsh, Zuerlein)
FO metrics DO come up with some weird results...

Can't see the Jets landing either Flynn or Smith to challenge Sanchez. For starters, they would want to be the starter and the Jets would need to restructure their contract to fit them under the cap. Signing a cheap veteran like Jackson or Matt Moore is probably more likely because they wouldn't necessarily expect to start, but would welcome the opportunity to win a starting job.

Can't see the Jets landing either Flynn or Smith to challenge Sanchez. For starters, they would want to be the starter and the Jets would need to restructure their contract to fit them under the cap. Signing a cheap veteran like Jackson or Matt Moore is probably more likely because they wouldn't necessarily expect to start, but would welcome the opportunity to win a starting job.

You'd think that with the Jets salary cap position, that the draft is the only option for QB competition to Sanchez. There's a bunch of middle tier QBs this year, and the Jets will likely take one in the 2nd or 3rd round IMO.

You'd think that with the Jets salary cap position, that the draft is the only option for QB competition to Sanchez. There's a bunch of middle tier QBs this year, and the Jets will likely take one in the 2nd or 3rd round IMO.

I'm sure a quarterback will be taken late in the draft to develop. But Idzik has been talking about competition to Sanchez in training camp and I think that will come from a veteran free agent quarterback.

Unlucky. Strange signing actually, unless he is just being used in return duties? Or a camp body?

Yep I have no idea. I guess competition for Washington...........the NFC Pro Bowl punt and kick returner, hmmm I'm not sure what Leon's salary hit is this year.

I'm sure a quarterback will be taken late in the draft to develop. But Idzik has been talking about competition to Sanchez in training camp and I think that will come from a veteran free agent quarterback.

ComPETE was preached in Seattle and it has worked fairly well for us. Idzik is a shrewd operator, wouldn't be surprised for a similar system of "money doesn't matter you earn your position" mentality to exist with the Jets.

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL 2013 NFL - Off-Season & Pre-Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back