Mega Thread 2013 TRADE PERIOD discussion thread - Aidan Riley (Crows) added as a DFA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Daniel Cross is a must for mine. Other than Jones and Vince we still have very few bigger, mature bodies. We also need to even out the age of our list out. We have just lost a lot of experience. A mature player who will set the standards at training. Big tick for me.
Yeah, I still think Cross adds value. He strikes me as the type who could go on into development ala Black when he's finished (just hypothesising here). Just because we've bolstered our ranks we still have hard work to do. I'm sure Stone wouldn't mind that added bit of short term experience and he's a good clubman I think. Spots are at a premium though so it will be interesting.

Yeah I don't think anything was really on the cards until they started talking pick 2 this week and Melbourne asked about Tyson. Pretty sure his manager said that was Monday but he was with a group of the GWS boys at Setanta's wedding in Hawaii, then Dom and his manager spoke Wednesday night when he got back, manager spoke to the Demons yesterday and the trade was done today.

For an idea of how quickly this came together, Dom followed Heath Shaw on Twitter yesterday. Kinda random unless you're a GWS player given we're working on a trade for him haha
yeah fair call, same thing that vince changed his info to mfc this morning apparently, before we officially traded for him, tad interesting... vince also followed jones a couple of days ago...

funny thing i found though is vince doesnt follow crows anymore but follows melbourne hahaha (the man moves quick)

Yeah, I still think Cross adds value. He strikes me as the type who could go on into development ala Black when he's finished (just hypothesising here). Just because we've bolstered our ranks we still have hard work to do. I'm sure Stone wouldn't mind that added bit of short term experience and he's a good clubman I think. Spots are at a premium though so it will be interesting.
mod man, can we still get delisted free agents?

We can still get DFA - doesn't open until the draft period closes IIRC.

Here is write up by resident BF draft expert - Knightmare in his 2011 mock/phantom draft:

#3 GWS - Dom Tyson (VIC - Mid)
Height: 186cm, Weight: 82kg, DOB: 08/06/1993
Recruited from: Oakleigh Chargers
Style: Simon Black/Nick Dal Santo
Player comparison:
Range: 3-5
Profile: Real standout throughout the champs and has really risen up the rankings in a hurry. Really good genuine footballer who doesn’t stand out athletically, but can do it all. Can play inside/outside, has really improved his outside game this year, but I do view him as more of an inside mid long term. Left footer, but can use his right, and use it well when he needs to. Has a really high work rate and has great endurance. Has great vision. Skill level is good for an inside player and has all the footy smarts and decision making ability you could hope for. Big time ball accumulator who should have a fairly immediate impact at the next level through the midfield. Pace is average at best, but with the smart game he plays, I don’t think it will be an issue at the next level.
Why: Pretty much a foregone conclusion that Tyson will go top 3 with Patton and Coniglio.

Interestingly, Knightmare also rated Tyson 2nd in his power rankings for that's years draft class.

For sure, there are three DFA periods intertwined with list lodgements ie we could delist more players.

If we want Cross or anyone else we can get him as of November 1.

---------

Friday 1 November - Gillette AFL delisted player free agency period (1) begins.

Wednesday 13 November - Gillette AFL delisted player free agency period (1) closes;

Friday 22 November - Gillette AFL delisted player free agency period (2) begins.

Wednesday 27 November by 2pm - Gillette AFL delisted free agency period (2) ends.

Friday 29 November - Gillette AFL delisted player free agency period (3) begins.

Tuesday 3 December - Gillette AFL delisted free agency period (3) ends.

For sure, there are three DFA periods intertwined with list lodgements ie we could delist more players.

If we want Cross or anyone else we can get him as of November 1.

---------

Friday 1 November - Gillette AFL delisted player free agency period (1) begins.

Wednesday 13 November - Gillette AFL delisted player free agency period (1) closes;

Friday 22 November - Gillette AFL delisted player free agency period (2) begins.

Wednesday 27 November by 2pm - Gillette AFL delisted free agency period (2) ends.

Friday 29 November - Gillette AFL delisted player free agency period (3) begins.

Tuesday 3 December - Gillette AFL delisted free agency period (3) ends.
concerned they are sponsored tbh

Hey Guys Sorry To Intrude

Just wanted to send my Congrats to your List Management team so far during Trade/Free Agency period.

As a Passionate Bulldogs fan it was shattering seeing Daniel Cross go but unfortunately got pushed out by our Younger Mids, I think he would be a massive asset to Melbourne he is very well renowned for his Physical Conditioning and the way he prepares for games I think he was one of the key reasons why Libba, Wallis, Dahlhaus, Macrae, Johannisen and all our young guys have come on in leaps and bounds this year.

Have Faith Dees fans give it 1-2 Years working with Crossy and you will be flying.

Good Luck for the Rest of Trade/Draft Period

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pace is average at best, but with the smart game he plays, I don’t think it will be an issue at the next level.

Watching his highlight video, he looks quite evasive - kinda Sam Mitchell style, or even Nathan Jones style. Gets away from plays through crafty side steps rather than just blistering away from them.

Watching his highlight video, he looks quite evasive - kinda Sam Mitchell style, or even Nathan Jones style. Gets away from plays through crafty side steps rather than just blistering away from them.

Yeh I was thinking that as well, for a guy who is not meant to be very fast he sure seems to have a lot of time and space

Just watched the Tyson highlights video, and still remember him from the 2011 championships. Looks like an absolute jet, very Dal Santo and Black like (not saying he'll end up as good of course).

It's a shame he's still a long way off his best footy and won't improve us significantly in 2014 but give him 50 games under his belt (also known as the "Dean Bailey mantra") and watch out....

Just watched the Tyson highlights video, and still remember him from the 2011 championships. Looks like an absolute jet, very Dal Santo and Black like (not saying he'll end up as good of course).

It's a shame he's still a long way off his best footy and won't improve us significantly in 2014 but give him 50 games under his belt (also known as the "Dean Bailey mantra") and watch out....
Will do a shit load more that Aish or Kelly next year.

I haven't read fwd yet - and I will - but who is this McDonald and who is going to take him at 8?
Luke McDonald, North committed under father/son to pick him at 8.

Thanks West Coast :hearts:

Fair point. It might be just my Cale Morton-itis but I'm pretty glad we won't be getting Aish.

Definetely Morton-itis. Mundy and Fyfe were nothing but flanker types when drafted.

Can we send Grimes down back again now?

He has played really well there in the past, but also has demonstrated midfield capability. Exactly what a modern defense needs.

Clisby worked hard for his spot and plays well, but I don't see him as a long term option. Good depth but we'll need better players on our list to move forward (unless he keeps developing!).

What do you consider an A grader ? is Marc Murphy/Bryce Gibbs A Grade or do you reserve that for top 10 in the comp. Toumpas and Tyson havn't done anything yet so that's a big call.
Top ten in the comp is not A grade, more like top ten percent so top 60. Top 10 in the comp are super elite, eg you brownlow medalists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back