Competitions 2014 Bulldogs Supercoach & Dreamteam Questions

Remove this Banner Ad

Why? Wood has never been a good SC player. Doesn't have the job security, is injury prone, doesn't score well. Far better off going for a rookie over Wood.

I reckon Wood will likely have better job security than many of the rookies, but at $215K is virtually rookie priced. And he can score OK depending on how far out of defense he pushes. Hard to find too many must have back rookies and I need 4 or 5 of them! If Wood is named R1 he'll definitely come under consideration for me at that price. If I can find 5 other rookies that are surer things I will but I can't at this stage (of my admitably limited research so far).

I reckon Wood will likely have better job security than many of the rookies, but at $215K is virtually rookie priced. And he can score OK depending on how far out of defense he pushes. Hard to find too many must have back rookies and I need 4 or 5 of them! If Wood is named R1 he'll definitely come under consideration for me at that price. If I can find 5 other rookies that are surer things I will but I can't at this stage (of my admitably limited research so far).

Kolodjashnij, Cutler, Fuller (who I think is a surer thing than Wood), McDonald. I'd sacrifice elsewhere before going for Wood!

I got an email regarding DT registration, I didn't know there was going to be 2 very similar this year. AFL Fantasy (Official) and "Real" Dream Team. Anyway, I thought that DT was the usual one and signed up no problem.

Usually you remain registered with the previous years details, a bit pissed off now because I've had the same team name in DT/Fantasy the last 4 years or so and now someone else has got it :mad:

Kolodjashnij, Cutler, Fuller (who I think is a surer thing than Wood), McDonald. I'd sacrifice elsewhere before going for Wood!

I have KK and McDonald. Not convinced of Fullers JS (but maybe). Don't know much about Cutler - why do you like him as a rookie (JS and scoring)? And I need 5 rookies (well rookie priced) in my back line ideally.

I have KK and McDonald. Not convinced of Fullers JS (but maybe). Don't know much about Cutler - why do you like him as a rookie (JS and scoring)? And I need 5 rookies (well rookie priced) in my back line ideally.

Backline rookies are extremely hard, that's why I've gone for only the 3 at the moment. I guess Wood is alright if you're looking for a cheapish defender that will make you some money.

I reckon Libba will get a lot more attention from opposition this year. He will still get good numbers but i think a tad below last year. Wallis will improve his numbers but his current price is too risky and in that mid range that is no mans land.

I'll be picking Fuller and maybe Hunter

Campbell only down as a forward. What the heck? i wanted him as a ruckman.

VS don't really care so much about the positional stuff.
Last year they had Blicavs as a midfielder, until they realised the error late and invented a new M/R position to patch over their 'mistake'.

VS don't really care so much about the positional stuff.
Last year they had Blicavs as a midfielder, until they realised the error late and invented a new M/R position to patch over their 'mistake'.

VS don't run AFL Fantasy - VS run their own VS DreamTeam now; the two games are different.

I notice a lot of people on the DT board putting Howard in their team but not much talk of selecting him here. How has he been training and do you guys see him in the 22 come round 1?

I notice a lot of people on the DT board putting Howard in their team but not much talk of selecting him here. How has he been training and do you guys see him in the 22 come round 1?

I don't think many people on this board have any idea why he wasn't delisted, let alone in the best 22.

He also just had double hip surgery, so yeah…stay well and truly away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you know why so many people are putting him in their team? Dannnnn's already explained why you shouldn't pick him.

Do you know why so many people are putting him in their team? Dannnnn's already explained why you shouldn't pick him.

To be fair, most rookie spots at the moment are just fillers. In theory, a running half back flanker with good skills in his fifth year in a team who needs a running half back flanker with good skills at basically rookie price is a brilliant pick. I think most people at the minute are just looking at him on paper and thinking, "He'll get games." I expect him to drop off the radar once we get closer to the season proper.

To be fair, most rookie spots at the moment are just fillers. In theory, a running half back flanker with good skills in his fifth year in a team who needs a running half back flanker with good skills at basically rookie price is a brilliant pick. I think most people at the minute are just looking at him on paper and thinking, "He'll get games." I expect him to drop off the radar once we get closer to the season proper.

But you'd definitely be skeptical of a running HBF with supposedly good skills that's in his 5th year in the team, that hasn't played many games, that literally NO ONE is talking about. Fuller is a far better option than him. Most players are honestly. But to be fair, I assumed he was about 200K, I haven't even bothered to look at his price.

And even those rookie spots are going to guys that MIGHT be good picks during the year. Howard will not be one of those.

But you'd definitely be skeptical of a running HBF with supposedly good skills that's in his 5th year in the team, that hasn't played many games, that literally NO ONE is talking about. Fuller is a far better option than him. Most players are honestly. But to be fair, I assumed he was about 200K, I haven't even bothered to look at his price.

And even those rookie spots are going to guys that MIGHT be good picks during the year. Howard will not be one of those.

Didn't we just conclude that a lot of people on the DT board have him in their side? ;) It's very much like follow the leader over there.

He's priced at $135,500 in AFL Fantasy, which is a significant amount cheaper than most rookies, given the new rookie pricings this year. There are also a distinct lack of defensive rookies that are guarantees to get games - past McDonald, you're hard pressed to find decent-scoring options who will get games, especially given that most are over $200k. I assume that most people who don't follow the Dogs avidly see the cheap price, see what kind of player he is, and figure that, given he's been around for a while and plays a role we're crying out for, he'll be given opportunities this year. Problem is he's just not very good and is well behind quite a few of our existing players in that position (Goodes, JJ, Murphy, Picken, Wood for a start).

At this point of the season he's not a horrible pick for somebody who doesn't really follow him as a player. He's affordable and basic logic dictates that he'll get games - two big ticks in the DT defensive rookie bench world. Problem is that he's coming off surgery, has shown very little quality at AFL level, and has too many players in front of him. He's a bad pick, but I'm hardly surprised people are picking him in January.

What about Pearce, instead of Fuller, if what Macca said is to be believed, that he is knocking on the door of best 22, he will get games.

Again just too much competition for me at this stage. You would expect Wood, Young, Howard, Fuller, Goodes, Higgins, Johannisen, Murphy, Darley, Wood, Pearce and Picken to all get games in the defensive half at times this year. That's not factoring in players such as Grant, Smith, Macrae, Cooney, Tutt, Hunter and Prudden who may also feature down there at stages. You can only play somewhere in the vicinity of 3-5 of the first lot of those each week, meaning that there's just too much of a lack of job security. The last thing you want is getting stuck with a rookie who plays two games, then makes way for other players to play that role.

That said, this is something that gets refined during the Challenge and such, so if somebody like Pearce dominates the practice matches and seems to be well and truly best 22, the facts above may change. For now, though, there are just too many players vying for only a few roles.

At this point of the season he's not a horrible pick for somebody who doesn't really follow him as a player. He's affordable and basic logic dictates that he'll get games - two big ticks in the DT defensive rookie bench world. Problem is that he's coming off surgery, has shown very little quality at AFL level, and has too many players in front of him. He's a bad pick, but I'm hardly surprised people are picking him in January.

I'm still not understanding the basic logic that dictates he'll get games. If he was a KPD, then sure it would be justified. But as a HBF in his 5th year, that most people would know as "that spud that the Dogs picked in the first round", why would he suddenly get games? It doesn't make any sense. He'll be out of all their teams come the end of the NAB challenge, so it doesn't matter too much anyway.

I'm still not understanding the basic logic that dictates he'll get games. If he was a KPD, then sure it would be justified. But as a HBF in his 5th year, that most people would know as "that spud that the Dogs picked in the first round", why would he suddenly get games? It doesn't make any sense. He'll be out of all their teams come the end of the NAB challenge, so it doesn't matter too much anyway.

Because he's "that spud that the Dogs picked in the first round that they retained for another year." We delisted club champion Daniel Cross before we did Howard - to a lot of people, that's a pretty nice indicator that we value his role in the team. Whether we agree or not he was retained for a reason, and that reason will likely earn him games at some stage this year. We're crying out for a running flanker, and he is one of those. The names I mentioned above are hardly household names, and let's be honest, we don't exactly win much neutral support, nor do we get a large number of neutrals watching our matches - without knowing the players around to fill that role and taking everything else related to our needs and such into consideration, Howard seems to be a shoe in to get games.

Because he's "that spud that the Dogs picked in the first round that they retained for another year." We delisted club champion Daniel Cross before we did Howard - to a lot of people, that's a pretty nice indicator that we value his role in the team. Whether we agree or not he was retained for a reason, and that reason will likely earn him games at some stage this year. We're crying out for a running flanker, and he is one of those. The names I mentioned above are hardly household names, and let's be honest, we don't exactly win much neutral support, nor do we get a large number of neutrals watching our matches - without knowing the players around to fill that role and taking everything else related to our needs and such into consideration, Howard seems to be a shoe in to get games.

Maybe I'm just used to people researching the players before just plonking them in, the SC board is a lot more sophisticated in that sense ;)

Maybe I'm just used to people researching the players before just plonking them in, the SC board is a lot more sophisticated in that sense ;)

DT board is very 'cut and paste', which leads to most of the very good players not posting their teams until after the season begins. It's hilarious to see how many teams get blatantly copied over the pre-season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Competitions 2014 Bulldogs Supercoach & Dreamteam Questions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back