List Mgmt. 2014 Draft + DFA Talk Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Wish the draft would hurry up and get here, so annoying that its still 3 weeks off.
Although if we skip over someone like Wright, Weller, Ahern or Duggan to reach for someone vanilla then I'll take that back and wonder what I was getting impatient for.
If we are going to "invest in the draft" then we need to make sure we take at least 4 live picks plus the upgrade for Miles for 5 picks total.

12. Wright, Weller, Ahern, Duggan, DeGoey
33. Blakely, Neale-Bullen, Menadue
52. McLean, Anderson, Drummond, Daniel
70. Daniel (or may depend on the mix of players we've taken earlier)
83. Miles (R/L)

I think we'd be crazy to let Caleb Daniel slip through to the rookie draft as he wouldn't reach us there

The Herald Sun mock draft by Jay Clark and Sam Landsberger.

1 - St.Kilda: Christian Petracca
2 - Melbourne: Angus Brayshaw
3 - Melbourne: Patrick McCartin
4 - GWS: Jordan De Goey
5 - Collingwood: Jayden Laverde
6 - GWS: Hugh Goddard
7 - GWS: Jarrod Pickett
8 - Gold Coast: Kyle Langford ...
9 - Collingwood: Darcy Moore (F/S)
10 - Geelong: Jake Lever
11 - West Coast: Paul Ahern
12 - Richmond: Liam Duggan
13 - Fremantle: Sam Durdin
14 - Adelaide: Peter Wright
15 - Gold Coast: Jarrod Garlett
16 - North Melbourne: Nakia Cockatoo
17 - Essendon: Lachie Weller
18 - Sydney: Isaac Heeney (Academy Selection)
19 - Carlton: Caleb Marchbank
20 - Essendon: Tom Lamb

The discourse at the moment is that De Goey is the bolter. Langford to Gold Coast is interesting, Duggan, Wright, Cockatoo and Weller all available at our pick.

The Herald Sun mock draft by Jay Clark and Sam Landsberger.

1 - St.Kilda: Christian Petracca
2 - Melbourne: Angus Brayshaw
3 - Melbourne: Patrick McCartin
4 - GWS: Jordan De Goey
5 - Collingwood: Jayden Laverde
6 - GWS: Hugh Goddard
7 - GWS: Jarrod Pickett
8 - Gold Coast: Kyle Langford ...
9 - Collingwood: Darcy Moore (F/S)
10 - Geelong: Jake Lever
11 - West Coast: Paul Ahern
12 - Richmond: Liam Duggan
13 - Fremantle: Sam Durdin
14 - Adelaide: Peter Wright
15 - Gold Coast: Jarrod Garlett
16 - North Melbourne: Nakia Cockatoo
17 - Essendon: Lachie Weller
18 - Sydney: Isaac Heeney (Academy Selection)
19 - Carlton: Caleb Marchbank
20 - Essendon: Tom Lamb

The discourse at the moment is that De Goey is the bolter. Langford to Gold Coast is interesting, Duggan, Wright, Cockatoo and Weller all available at our pick.
Wright > Weller > Cockatoo > Duggan for me, but if we come away with any of these 4 i'll be very happy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is Wright as a Ruckman? If he's good I really hope we pick him up and develop him primarily as a Ruckman. Really, we only have Maric as a pure Ruckman (Vickery/Griffiths are really forward who can fill in a ruckman when required).

Even not as a ruckman we should not pass on him. Plenty more midfielders to choose from. Forwards at his stature are hard to come by. I still reckon he will go top 5.

Weller if he slides ahead of Ahern then I'd be happy to go Blakely. No one else stands out at this stage

Not overly concerned with our 1st pick, as I think we will end up with a very good player. This year we need to nail the other picks, otherwise we will be struggling in the depth department in the future years. Hopefully Francis doesn't go too far left field this year, we really need quality added this year.

Duggan is too safe and doesn't have a high enough ceiling of potential to warrant pick 12 this year IMO.

I'd much rather a De Goey, Ahern, Blakey or the ****, all of whom could shit all over duggan if they were to get everything out of themselves.

We can play it safe with other picks but we need more A grade talent on our list and I can't see duggan being an A grade afl player

Duggan is nearly the best ball user and decision maker in the draft. Evident by Vic Metro using him to take their kick ins, and hitting 26/30 targets at the combines kicking test. Quality on both sides and is lethal on his left around goals.
He has pretty good ood endurance with a 10:11 3km time trial which was 9th at the combine.
I would not be upset at all to see Duggen in the yellow and black, and could see him cracking the line up early next season.
All this "safe bet" talk is garbage. If there were safe bets then we wouldn't need a combine, we wouldn't need scouts. Theres a risk with every single player drafted, some have more or bigger risks and others have positives that could benifet a team a lot more then others.
I'm sick of hearing about scouts going for unknown quantities and tellin everyone you need to take risks to get a good player. No you don't. This brings teams undone very quickly as we've seem first hand at Richmond too many times.
Oakley-Nicholls
Fiora
Tambling
Myers
Pattison
Polo

Too many times in the past decade Richmond recruiters have decided to try and outsmart everyone and use there picks on unconventional footy players. All the while clubs like Collingwood, Geelong and even Hawthorn have taken players who are quality footballers first, then worried about athleticism later.

Duggen would be a great fit for us, his skills would see him getting games Neely straight away alone.

Duggan is nearly the best ball user and decision maker in the draft. Evident by Vic Metro using him to take their kick ins, and hitting 26/30 targets at the combines kicking test. Quality on both sides and is lethal on his left around goals.
He has pretty good ood endurance with a 10:11 3km time trial which was 9th at the combine.
I would not be upset at all to see Duggen in the yellow and black, and could see him cracking the line up early next season.
All this "safe bet" talk is garbage. If there were safe bets then we wouldn't need a combine, we wouldn't need scouts. Theres a risk with every single player drafted, some have more or bigger risks and others have positives that could benifet a team a lot more then others.
I'm sick of hearing about scouts going for unknown quantities and tellin everyone you need to take risks to get a good player. No you don't. This brings teams undone very quickly as we've seem first hand at Richmond too many times.
Oakley-Nicholls
Fiora
Tambling
Myers
Pattison
Polo

Too many times in the past decade Richmond recruiters have decided to try and outsmart everyone and use there picks on unconventional footy players. All the while clubs like Collingwood, Geelong and even Hawthorn have taken players who are quality footballers first, then worried about athleticism later.

Duggen would be a great fit for us, his skills would see him getting games Neely straight away alone.

I agree he will be a very good player for us or whoever picks him up. But do you think he will be a genuine A grader?
This is a strong draft, it seems like there could be some genuine stars in there. Do you think his ceiling is as high as some other players?
Say both Duggan and de goey both reach their full potential. Who do you see being the better player in the end?

Duggan is too safe and doesn't have a high enough ceiling of potential to warrant pick 12 this year IMO.

I'd much rather a De Goey, Ahern, Blakey or the ****, all of whom could shit all over duggan if they were to get everything out of themselves.

We can play it safe with other picks but we need more A grade talent on our list and I can't see duggan being an A grade afl player
Who says Duggens cieling isn't as high as a Cockatoo or an Ahern?
Who says Duggen won't turn out to be a super smooth moving midfielder in the Cotchin or Pendlebury mold? He is a lot closer to reaching his potential then the players you've mentioned.

I
I agree he will be a very good player for us or whoever picks him up. But do you think he will be a genuine A grader?
This is a strong draft, it seems like there could be some genuine stars in there. Do you think his ceiling is as high as some other players?
Say both Duggan and de goey both reach their full potential. Who do you see being the better player in the end?
It would be very close between De Goey and Duggen in my opinion. I see both of the having super AFL careers. Both have great skills and both can find the footy.
De Goey can go inside a bit more then Duggen and is also better overhead.
Duggen is a better user and cleaner with footy. Also he is very smart at setting players up around goals.
Wouldn't be upset with either of them to be honest.
Outside Petracca and Brayshaw I think they're are the best two midfielders in terms of translating to AFL level

Who says Duggens cieling isn't as high as a Cockatoo or an Ahern?
Who says Duggen won't turn out to be a super smooth moving midfielder in the Cotchin or Pendlebury mold? He is a lot closer to reaching his potential then the players you've mentioned.

Exactly, IMO he is a lot closer to fulfilling his potential already, and will probably have a quicker impact at afl level. But if he's already closer to reaching is full potential then that would mean his ceiling isn't as high.

I would rate de goey around the same as Duggan right now but maybe a little behind. But I just think he has more room to grow overall than Duggan has

I
It would be very close between De Goey and Duggen in my opinion. I see both of the having super AFL careers. Both have great skills and both can find the footy.
De Goey can go inside a bit more then Duggen and is also better overhead.
Duggen is a better user and cleaner with footy. Also he is very smart at setting players up around goals.
Wouldn't be upset with either of them to be honest.
Outside Petracca and Brayshaw I think they're are the best two midfielders in terms of translating to AFL level

Yeah I would not be upset with either. I would love to have Duggan on our list. I just think there will be slightly more talented prospects still there at 12 that I would rather personally

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2014 Draft + DFA Talk Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back