List Mgmt. 2014 Draft + DFA Talk Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Gotta say, I am very happy with the type of players brought to the club this year, no idea if they are good enough but they are certainly the right types

6/7 young quick onballers that like a goal, a monster FF and the best player in the VFL

In one year we have created depth and speed.

Well done FJ and Blair, all we need now is for them to be developed in the right way
Genuine question, is this true?

Yeah come away feeling like we actually nailed it rather than hoping that some randoms might be decent. :p

Does help that we didn't pick up recycled hacks that we already know are hopeless.

Also helps that we have 4 full time recruiters. Its starting to pay dividends now!

Surprised Rowan Marshall wasn't picked up, really liked his game. Keitel and Cripps are others unlucky to miss out. Capiron had a really bad year,for those mentioning him before, very poor decision making saw him turn the ball over in dangerous spots time and time again.

You can never have too many though. Would have liked an extra tall or 2 personally.

We should have picked Kietel even if we might have had to show him the door end of the year.

At least he could have helped with structures seeing how our half forward line and half back line goes under different scenarios.

Hardwick's, and other's favourites are in far too cosy a position IMO holding us back!

Some have no pressure from competition while others like Miles and Foley have to keep 10 replacements off their backs!

Last edited:
Loving our additions. Right from national draft to rookie selections.
Should be a decent crop of speedy skillful midfielders and half forwards coming through in the next 3-5 years.

Hopefully they're good enough to contend with the quality of GWS and Gold Coast though. Doubt it.

You can never have too many though. Would have liked an extra tall or 2 personally.
You can actually have too many. We need to be able to fit them in the VFL side and we don't have a VFL reserves any more to play them at a lower level if we don't have space for them all.

tiger_of_old & THE_GUN , what do you guys like about him. Could you give us some info ?
Probably too late now but , I love the way he is a relentless inside mid that just gives his all and is a big boys aswell, The type of kid that will stand infron of a truck if it meant he had a chance to mark the ball. Also a good mark and reasonable kick.

Ohhh well looks like lower league and learn from what Kane Lambert has been able to do

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what do you think of the rookie draft?
I liked it, Would of liked a developing KPD But looks like the recruiters rated our current guys way above anything available at our picks so not fussed just hope Elton come along this year to fill that Void.

Really thought Mellington was worth a shot, Pretty happy to give Lambert a try and see what he has at the next level, The kid is too good for VFL but AFL is another beast all together but you never know - If he can emulate his VFL form we might just have another Miles

AND WOULDNT THE CARLTON SCUM BE PISSED OFF WITH THAT :D

I liked it, Would of liked a developing KPD But looks like the recruiters rated our current guys way above anything available at our picks so not fussed just hope Elton come along this year to fill that Void.

Really thought Mellington was worth a shot, Pretty happy to give Lambert a try and see what he has at the next level, The kid is too good for VFL but AFL is another beast all together but you never know - If he can emulate his VFL form we might just have another Miles

AND WOULDNT THE CARLTON SCUM BE PISSED OFF WITH THAT :D

Fair enough.

I agree with a taller mid like Mellington but hopefully there are some in the 2015 draft.

I do like Short in particular, his kicking and composure seems top notch.

I agree on the KPD or swingman but we will have to see what is available down the track.

Fair enough.

I agree with a taller mid like Mellington but hopefully there are some in the 2015 draft.

I do like Short in particular, his kicking and composure seems top notch.

I agree on the KPD or swingman but we will have to see what is available down the track.

The reason why im not really getting my jocks in a knot over not taking a KPD/Swingman namely Keitel is that he was expected to go high in the ND roughly 25-40 but didnt end up even getting rookie listed so im thinking that all clubs have seen some glaring issue with his game.

The only other KPD that was worth a risk in my opinion is Mitch Brown and he would only be an emergency back up so id rather not

But Mellington instead of Thomas would of been fantastic

The reason why im not really getting my jocks in a knot over not taking a KPD/Swingman namely Keitel is that he was expected to go high in the ND roughly 25-40 but didnt end up even getting rookie listed so im thinking that all clubs have seen some glaring issue with his game.

The only other KPD that was worth a risk in my opinion is Mitch Brown and he would only be an emergency back up so id rather not

Ha ha, my concern with Kietel is largely about Griffiths and to a lessor extent Chaplin. IMO Griffith's would play better and the team would function better with someone like Kietel. So I can see us continue to have half forward problems and half back problems until we get a swingman like Kietel.

I read on the recruiting area one commented Kietel wasn't selected because they thought he was an inbetweener between a KPP and mid. Funny thing is I think RFC needs an inbetweener like Kietel or Tomlinson as part of a half forward duo team with Griffiths as an inbetweener between KPP and ruck at half forward. Don't think others see this yet if ever.

The best thing for us is McKenzie IMO in terms of structure in this draft. No surprise to me he is outmarking our more experienced players every now and then in training. I am anticipating McKenzie plays in 2015 possibly FF with JR next to him and later maybe some time in the backline against weaker opposition.

But the biggest problems for RFC to me are half forward and half back apart from our ruck rover area that will stop us progressing dramatically in finals

Ha ha, my concern with Kietel is largely about Griffiths and to a lessor extent Chaplin. IMO Griffith's would play better and the team would function better with someone like Kietel. So I can see us continue to have half forward problems and half back problems until we get a swingman like Kietel.

I read on the recruiting area one commented Kietel wasn't selected because they thought he was an inbetweener between a KPP and mid. Funny thing is I think RFC needs an inbetweener like Kietel or Tomlinson as part of a half forward duo team with Griffiths as an inbetweener between KPP and ruck at half forward. Don't think others see this yet if ever.

The best thing for us is McKenzie IMO in terms of structure in this draft. No surprise to me he is outmarking our more experienced players every now and then in training. I am anticipating McKenzie plays in 2015 possibly FF with JR next to him and later maybe some time in the backline against weaker opposition.

But the biggest problems for RFC to me are half forward and half back apart from our ruck rover area that will stop us progressing dramatically in finals
Keitel : There must be more to the weaknesses in his game that has stopped him from being selected and if thats the case then i agree with passing on him
I did hear a negative comment about his agility once but wasnt from a source that i have had much to do with so cant really comment on that in any depth but i did like his flexability at junior level to adapt to playing both ends. Also i wouldnt really call 194 an inbetweener
HFF: Im ok with our HFF's and think that they dont need to be too big and you can have 180-183cm players that play that role with good effect provided they are a marking player and not just a small crumbing type and with Lids/Gordon/Lennon/Martin providing the 'taller' Option I think its not too bad

HBF: Now thats a different story, I love the way Houli plays and respect the guy heaps but if he was only 7-8cm taller
I have seen him going back to cut off the ball and just fall a little 'Short'
McIntosh was the player i was hoping to take that Role but we really dont have another 186-189 HBF , Dyson Heppell would of been fantastic

Keitel : There must be more to the weaknesses in his game that has stopped him from being selected and if thats the case then i agree with passing on him
I did hear a negative comment about his agility once but wasnt from a source that i have had much to do with so cant really comment on that in any depth but i did like his flexability at junior level to adapt to playing both ends. Also i wouldnt really call 194 an inbetweener
HFF: Im ok with our HFF's and think that they dont need to be too big and you can have 180-183cm players that play that role with good effect provided they are a marking player and not just a small crumbing type and with Lids/Gordon/Lennon/Martin providing the 'taller' Option I think its not too bad

HBF: Now thats a different story, I love the way Houli plays and respect the guy heaps but if he was only 7-8cm taller
I have seen him going back to cut off the ball and just fall a little 'Short'
McIntosh was the player i was hoping to take that Role but we really dont have another 186-189 HBF , Dyson Heppell would of been fantastic

A Fremantle poster reckons Keitel had questionable agility and another said he was questionable athletically. Maybe that was due to his agility.

Anyhow I see Griffith's as more a floating CHF as opposed to normal CHF. Ideally we need a stronger half forward with him aerially IMO. Fyfe would be terrific.Martin is not dominant in the air although Lids can be handy. Dunno, thats why I wanted us to get Tomlinson and if they can help out on the half backline it would be great for team balance

Last edited:
I can't remember where I read it but supposedly Tim Clarke said that we needed a major overhaul of the VFL side so that we could play the same structures and same gameplan as the AFL team. This would improve the chances of anyone going up to AFL to fit straight into the team. It looks as though we are a fair few runners short through both teams so this draft was great for added depth and learning opportunities for the entire club. This is why a stand alone VFL team is a must to take the next step when you are starting at the bottom (or at least middle of the pack). Coburg played to win every game in the VFL (even though they didn't). Richmond's VFL team should be playing to ensure that the AFL team win.

Lambert :hearts:

Very surprised he wasn't taken by another club before us, I guess Essendon are busy picking up spuds like McKernan lol.
Essendon are preparing for the suspensions imo, They need to be able to field a team if they have players suspended
I think they have turned over probably around 15 players from the original 34 and if Carlisle gets suspended McKernan is actually a good selection that could atleast give them some AFL experienced players that could be delisted after 1 year at minimal cost and if he comes good its just a bonus

Reading the Carlton board, Keitel is rumoured to have issues with being a dickhead. They passed on him so I believe the rumours are false. :D

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2014 Draft + DFA Talk Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back