Mega Thread 2014 Free Agency and Trade discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree with Frawley just Jogging around, he's being running his ass off up forward with the worst inside 50 count and delivery in the comp yet still the 3rd most marks in the competition. His best position is as a defender and while he wasn't his all Australian best in recent years he still rarely ever let his opponent beat him and this playing in a defence when the ball gets pummelled in there all day. The club has let players down like Frawley and Rivers not the other way round.

See I think its easy enough to look interested when your kicking goals, but when he has been asked to go down back and do a job he has been a quarter as effective as in previous years

No doubt the club has let these players down off field, but the only people responsible for on field efforts are the players themselves

See I think its easy enough to look interested when your kicking goals, but when he has been asked to go down back and do a job he has been a quarter as effective as in previous years

No doubt the club has let these players down off field, but the only people responsible for on field efforts are the players themselves
Frawley has played poor in recent weeks but I've seen people slag off on him in the review thread all year, I think he's had a fairly decent year up forward considering the midfield we have delivering to him, your KPP's can only do so much when the midfield is getting flogged, forwards are never going to kick goals and defenders are always going to have goals kicked on them. I think Fraws has always kept putting in and I don't blame him for leaving

Frawley has played poor in recent weeks but I've seen people slag off on him in the review thread all year, I think he's had a fairly decent year up forward considering the midfield we have delivering to him, your KPP's can only do so much when the midfield is getting flogged, forwards are never going to kick goals and defenders are always going to have goals kicked on them. I think Fraws has always kept putting in and I don't blame him for leaving

Hes been decent as a forward, but He was an AA quality full back and he hasn't looked close to that since

For mine thats all above the shoulders

Lynden Dunn has managed to look better as a defender this year despite our shitness

You feel sorry for a bloke who is about to earn in excess of 600k a season, and has several teams chasing his services? If he leaves, he is still a ripper bloke amongst his mates... but to us he will be derided, that's sport

Not in that way.

I just reckon he's been damned whichever way he went all season.

Supporters hating on him for not signing, whilst the club is telling him they'd rather take the compo.

I was pretty dirty on Scully, but I don't feel the same with Chip.

Not in that way.

Supporters hating on him for not signing, whilst the club is telling him they'd rather take the compo.

Yeh fair enough, free agency makes people act funny, at the moment it's all secret dealings and smokes and mirrors from all parties, and none of it is particularly pleasant for the fans (not that the AFL would care about that necessarily).

Hes been decent as a forward, but He was an AA quality full back and he hasn't looked close to that since

For mine thats all above the shoulders

Lynden Dunn has managed to look better as a defender this year despite our shitness
His AA year was awesome, he was rebounding out of defence as good as any key position player I've seen, that's been lost since that year and I reckon it's got to do with the whole team not playing with as much run and space as 2010, Frawely hasn't been able to play that style since then, people were saying in 2011 that Frawleys gone backwards but I thought his 1 on 1 and beating his opponent has always been pretty close to 2010.

Not in that way.

Is this for real? What if we get band 2? pick 21, I think Frawley is worth more than that

Is this for real? What if we get band 2? pick 21, I think Frawley is worth more than that

No, sorry. That's just me speculating.

I reckon the club would know what deals he has in front of him though.

Wouldn't surprise me if we've already worked something out with another club, for example;

We guarantee Sydney to trade them pick 3 if they give Frawley a good contract.

We take Malcekai and a good young mid on decent money to make sure they have the cap room.

Ie/ Pick 3 for Mitchell and Malceski.

Sydney end up with a KPD an. A high draft pick, we end up with a quality young mid and an AA half back flanker.

Win/Win.

No, sorry. That's just me speculating.

I reckon the club would know what deals he has in front of him though.

Wouldn't surprise me if we've already worked something out with another club, for example;

We guarantee Sydney to trade them pick 3 if they give Frawley a good contract.

We take Malcekai and a good young mid on decent money to make sure they have the cap room.

Ie/ Pick 3 for Mitchell and Malceski.

Sydney end up with a KPD an. A high draft pick, we end up with a quality young mid and an AA half back flanker.

Win/Win.
Yeah that would be hard to do and it's probably draft tampering.

First you would need Frawley to want to go to Sydney, then you need Sydney to want to take pick 3 off our hands, who at pick would Sydney prefer over Mitchell?

You would have to line up deals with the other clubs to, not sure what Geelong or Hawthorn would give up for pick 3

First you would need Frawley to want to go to Sydney, then you need Sydney to want to take pick 3 off our hands, who at pick would Sydney prefer over Mitchell?

You would have to line up deals with the other clubs to, not sure what Geelong or Hawthorn would give up for pick 3

Couldn't prove anything on tampering - and they'd probably like it as it gets us the compo which would take heat off the priority pick situation.

Frawley wouldnt be a problem given it's a winning side and his best contract offer.

Sydney could take best available, or trade it down for a player and pick. And yes they would like to keep Mitchell, but a senior KPD is a premiership move for them - and they have heaps of gun mids mids coming through - but Mitchell is the one on big money.

Anyway it was just an example.

Couldn't prove anything on tampering - and they'd probably like it as it gets us the compo which would take heat off the priority pick situation.

Frawley wouldnt be a problem given it's a winning side and his best contract offer.

Sydney could take best available, or trade it down for a player and pick. And yes they would like to keep Mitchell, but a senior KPD is a premiership move for them - and they have heaps of gun mids mids coming through - but Mitchell is the one on big money.

Anyway it was just an example.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/ge...der-jono-orourke/story-fnelctok-1227041889813

GEELONG is set to offer Melbourne free agent James Frawley a five-year contract in a bid to trump rivals Hawthorn and Gold Coast for the success-starved big man.
Originally taken with pick No. 12 in 2006, Frawley’s departure will likely deliver Melbourne the No. 3 pick in free agency compensation.

The 193cm defender/forward was reportedly linked to an asking price of $700,000 a season, but Geelong’s offer is understood to be closer to $500,000 a year for the 2010 All-Australian.

We can't take Malceski as a free agent. It would dilute our compo for Frawley.

If you trade for a player it doesn't dilute the compo, only if you pick him up as a free agent. Doing the trade for the players and pick would mean we still have the compo @ what ever that is.

I would say if we had picks 2 and 3 we get best kids a tall and a mid.

We can always pick up defenders late in draft from state league level.

If you trade for a player it doesn't dilute the compo, only if you pick him up as a free agent. Doing the trade for the players and pick would mean we still have the compo @ what ever that is.

I would say if we had picks 2 and 3 we get best kids a tall and a mid.

We can always pick up defenders late in draft from state league level.

That's what he said.

Also I'm not sure $500,000 will deliver band 1 compensation.

I think if it's 5 year deal, along with him being 25, it probably could. and if it's not, the AFL better use its discretionary powers to make sure it is! :p
Combined with a 5 year contract and a favourable wink from the commission it almost certainly does

The 5 year deal is promising but I still don't have faith that $500,000 will get us the band 1, I'm more inclined to believe an end of first round pick but I hope I'm wrong.

Lets assume Sydney win the premiership

How does 3 for Mitchell, Malceski and 18 sound?

Still feels like a little under for mine

Pretty terrible for mine.

Afl proven quality backand mid and our first for a shot at an unknown quantity.

Asides, pick 18 is going to be wrapped up for Heeney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back