2014 rising star

Remove this Banner Ad

Aish is going to be a gun, but he's not going to win the rising star next year. He's still too slight.

For mine, I think Patton could get it.

What a stupid way to measure the "success" of a draftee... Brown was an epic fail. He is a third round selection at best.

Menzel again another fail. You say 9th in terms of fellow first round selection, but who cares not in the top 20 of his draft year.

Menzel is certainly not a fail. Stephen Wells took a bloke with pick 17 who should have gone top 5 on talent. He then did 4 ACL's, you simply can't predict that.

Keep going...you're going to have to find 17 better than Menzel.

At Menzel's pick, Nat Fyfe, Jake Carlisle and Aaron Black were all still available. The Cats would kill to have their hands on any one of them right now and you know it. Wells is a great recruiter but nothing ever turns out perfect, and his specialty is more getting value out of second or later round picks. If you want a recruiter who always nails first rounders, take a look at whoever runs it for Richmond from 2006 onwards (and try to ignore Tyrone Vickery).

Dunstan and Sheed are the 2 first round midfielders I expect to step in and play early and play well. Luke McDonald will do very well but probably suffer from playing too many team roles as a half back flanker.

Aish and Jack Martin might still need another year to work on their bodies before they consistently play well but neither would surprise. Add Kelly to that list as well, his elite endurance will allow him to play early.

Joe Daniher showed how big an ask it will be for Hogan and Boyd and whilst those 2 might be ahead of where he was development wise it might not be enough.

I'll go with:
1. Dunstan (as a smokey)
2. Sheed
3. McDonald
4. Martin
5. Hogan
6. Aish

Menzel is certainly not a fail. Stephen Wells took a bloke with pick 17 who should have gone top 5 on talent. He then did 4 ACL's, you simply can't predict that.
This.

Menzel is a manchild. Could easily have become a mid if he hadn't blown his knee out four times. Modern game is all about around winning stoppages all over the ground.

Newman if everything goes right is capable of playing every game.

I'm not too sure about this prediction.

From what I saw of Newman at the Black Ducks in 2013, he was a long way from real good form. Needs to get his skills + head space into another dimension.

If you think that Newman is capable of playing every senior game in 2014, I think it says more about the state of the Eagles list, rather than Newman deserving a senior game.

Aish has been playing against men in a very strong league for the last two years. He's ready for AFL and he will play a lot of games in 2014

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Grundy going to be Collingwoods starting ruck?

Haven't seen a first year ruckman do what Grundy done this year.
Probably the best young ruck we've seen come through in a long time.

Aish has been playing against men in a very strong league for the last two years. He's ready for AFL and he will play a lot of games in 2014

Aish won't be winning your rising star award.
He'll be a good player down the track.

Dom Sheed is a sneaky chance given his ready-made game.

Jack Martin the raging favourite though.

Yes, if Dom Sheed gains a starting midfield position - which isn't beyond the realms of possibility, then he will be VERY hard to beat, the kid is a ball magnet.

Jack Martin too light on for the rising star IMO, he isn't where Jaeger was body wise - possibly ahead talent wise, but won't get the same time in the middle.

Martin or Billings

No to Billings, he is a flanker in the juniors and will take some time before he builds and engine - which will see him as a midfielder, can Billings win the rising star as a flanker in a weak side? NO.
Will he be an exceptional talent down the track? Yes.

Pigs will fly before Billings wins the rising star.

Desperate to try and find another dud amongst the stars...

jfi, which player did you rate as a dud from that list minus Tenace?
Tenace would be the only one?
Brown is yet to be determined, but not a dud.

Remove this Banner Ad

2014 rising star

Remove this Banner Ad

Back