Strategy 2015 best side

Remove this Banner Ad

Its obvious that to match it with Hawthorn, Sydney and Port, (North hasnt convinced me just yet), that there are a few key areas we fall down in.
1. Ruck
2. Fire power
3. Speed

Over our years of dominance these were our strengths (Ottens, Mooney, Johnson, Wojo), but since the retirements of club greats, we seem to be lacking in these areas. The acquisition of players over the trade and free agency period should add more firepower, right now Ruck stocks look a bit iffy, and speed is still a problem. In saying that, i believe this side has the ability to possibly learn to cover and re create the Geelong way of Footy, back to the point of Footy domination.

B: Bews, Lonergan, Kolo
HB: Enright, Taylor, Mackie
C: Murdoch, Selwood, Johnson
HF: Motlop, Clark, Bartel
F: Kersten, Hawkins, McCarthy
Foll: Stanley, Caddy, Jansen
Int: Thurlow, Duncan, Hartman
Sub: Guthrie

With these player rotating through they side to rest the older guys: Lang, Horlin-Smith, Smedts, Blease?, Menzel? Vardy?

B: Bews, Lonergan, Kolo
C: Murdoch, Selwood, Johnson
HF: Motlop, Clark, Bartel
F: Kersten, Hawkins, McCarthy
Foll: Stanley, Caddy, Jansen
Int: Thurlow, Duncan, Hartman
Sub: Guthrie

With these player rotating through they side to rest the older guys: Lang, Horlin-Smith, Smedts, Blease?, Menzel? Vardy?

You may very well be right, but I don't see our best 22 right now having two guys who haven't played a game yet (Kolojdashnij and Jansen). I still think Rivers will be there next year, plus Horlin-Smith as well. And as DtC said, can't see Guthrie as the sub.

Its obvious that to match it with Hawthorn, Sydney and Port, (North hasnt convinced me just yet), that there are a few key areas we fall down in.
1. Ruck
2. Fire power
3. Speed

4. Physical Strength. On and at the ball.

Is there going to be a sub next year, thought I heard talk of the league abandoning it and returning to a normal four man interchange bench?
Great idea.
I would add that every bench needs a sub for concussion only, so 22 plus a concussion sub. Unlikely to happen, but dare I say it, it's a "No- Brainer"

See... I think we are building quiet a good contested midfield, with caddy selwood and Duncan, maybe pick up another inside mid in the draft, or just wait for danger next year.

I will be interested to see how Jansen goes next year.
He is a big lump of a kid for a midfielder @ 192cm and 93kgs.
I have not written him off as a player who could possibly play seniors next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guthrie Lonergan Rivers
Enright Taylor Mackie
Motlop Johnson Duncan
Stokes Clark Bartel
Murdoch Hawk Stanley
McIntosh Caddy Selwood
Int: Blitz Kelly Thurlow
Sub: Horlin-Smith
Emerg: Smedts Bews Kersten

Still a pretty good lookin' side I reckon. Top 4 a possibility but if not, 5th or 6th is definitely a realistic target.

B: Bews, Lonergan, Rivers

C: Duncan, Caddy, Guthrie

HF: Motlop, Clark, Menzel

F: Bartel, Hawkins, McCarthy

Foll: Stanley, Selwood, Johnson

I/C: Blicavs, Stokes, Hartman

Sub: Thurlow

Emergencies:

Kolo, Lang, GHS, Kelly

Notable Omissions:

Kelly: Feel like he may be a bit similar to Josh Hunt in his last year at the Cats or even Ryan O’Keefe, will miss a spot if it’s a toss up between him and a young player like Bews, or even Guthrie if he spends some more time down back again. Been a champion of the club but need to get games into younger guys.

Simpson/McIntosh: Looked like the answer to our prayers before he blew out his knee in 2013. Obviously underdone due to a persisstant back injury but all that aside, but average around the ground in terms of reading the play, footskills and marking ability. I do believe they will offer the number 1 ruck mantle to Stanley if they can’t improve McIntosh’s fitness to run out a whole season next year.

Vardy: Don’t want to risk him in the Ruck to much with such a damaged body, Feel the Mitch Clark if fit has squeezed him out. Could be something, but just a bit too far gone for mine.

Murdoch: Wanted to like him, quick, left footer, wears my number. Unfortunately even with all that pace seems to get ran down a hell of a lot, and doesn’t seem to use it to chase. McCarthy gets his spot as the young small forward because of a hell of a lot more heart and intensity.

GHS: Just a bit too one paced, probably have enough inside ball winning with caddy & selwood, may ultimately get a reprieve due to the loss of Christensen who did relieve in that role. Toss up Between him and Blease in the last spot.

Just my two cents, I know Menzel is pretty unlikely but gee we would all love to see it.

Happy to answer any questions/abuse.

Last edited:
GHS: Just a bit too one paced, probably have enough inside ball winning with caddy & selwood, may ultimately get a reprieve due to the loss of Christensen who did relieve in that role. Toss up Between him and Blease in the last spot.

Horlin-Smith is a very different player to Blease. I don't think the competition will be between those two.

Horlin-Smith is a very different player to Blease. I don't think the competition will be between those two.
Totally agree, but the MC wont nessesarily go like for like, if they feel pace/outside run is needed blease gets the nod, or if another contested ball winner is the order of the day i think blease is first out for GHS.

Totally agree, but the MC wont nessesarily go like for like, if they feel pace/outside run is needed blease gets the nod, or if another contested ball winner is the order of the day i think blease is first out for GHS.

Horlin-Smith's clearance numbers stand up pretty well. If he's fit I can't see him being left out.

C: Motlop, Caddy, Guthrie

HF: Stokes, Clark, Menzel

I/C: Blicavs, Thurlow, Hartman

Sub: Blease

Emergencies:

Kolo, Lang, GHS, Kelly

Notable Omissions:

Kelly: Feel like he may be a bit similar to Josh Hunt in his last year at the Cats or even Ryan O’Keefe, will miss a spot if it’s a toss up between him and a young player like Bews, or even Guthrie if he spends some more time down back again. Been a champion of the club but need to get games into younger guys.

Simpson/McIntosh: Looked like the answer to our prayers before he blew out his knee in 2013. Obviously underdone due to a persisstant back injury but all that aside, but average around the ground in terms of reading the play, footskills and marking ability. I do believe they will offer the number 1 ruck mantle to Stanley if they can’t improve McIntosh’s fitness to run out a whole season next year.

Vardy: Don’t want to risk him in the Ruck to much with such a damaged body, Feel the Mitch Clark if fit has squeezed him out. Could be something, but just a bit too far gone for mine.

Murdoch: Wanted to like him, quick, left footer, wears my number. Unfortunately even with all that pace seems to get ran down a hell of a lot, and doesn’t seem to use it to chase. McCarthy gets his spot as the young small forward because of a hell of a lot more heart and intensity.

Just my two cents, I know Menzel is pretty unlikely but gee we would all love to see it.

Good looking side!

Only changes I would have made personally would be Lang in for Blease as I think we will make Blease fight for a spot in the AFL team by spending weeks in the VFL at the start of the year. Also I heard Menzel is spending a month around in the VFL to start the season so would have Murdoch in for him if this is a Round 1 side.

So, Lang & Murdoch in, Blease & Menzel out.

HF: Stokes, Clark, Duncan

I/C: Vardy, Thurlow, Lang

Sub: Hartman

EMG: Kelly, GHS, Walker, Murdoch, Smedts, Blicavs (Lots of emergencies I know :p)

Bews/Kelly fighting for spot.
Lang/GHS fighting for spot.
Clark/Walker fighting for spot.

At this stage I have Vardy on the bench to come into the FWD line and rotate with the tall guys there.
Blicavs unlucky to miss out but depends where they want him to play, still back-up RUCK or DEF now?
Murdoch we need to tell to use his pace more & also for to add fitness so he can add that FWD pressure but also run out games better.

HF: Stokes, Clark, Menzel

I/C: Blicavs, Thurlow, Hartman

Sub: Blease

Emergencies:

Kolo, Lang, GHS, Kelly

Notable Omissions:

Also Duncan is a pretty big notable omission :p

Horlin-Smith's clearance numbers stand up pretty well. If he's fit I can't see him being left out.
My query on GHS is his defensive work in the middle. If he doesnt win that clearance, stuggles to put pressure on or lay tackles. Hes only young and will improve, but has blokes run off him alot from the center.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy 2015 best side

Remove this Banner Ad

Back