More likely round 1

FB Rivers Lonergan Enright
HB Mackie Taylor Bews
C Duncan Johnson Stokes
HF Motlop Walker Caddy
FF Murdoch Hawkins Bartel
Fol Stanley Selwood Guthrie
Int Blicavs Horlin-Smith Hartman McCarthy
A query on why you have Jimmy in the backline, d'ya believe this is where he's headed career wise..?

A query on why you have Jimmy in the backline, d'ya believe this is where he's headed career wise..?

He could do the role, but a lot of injuries would have to happen for us to need to send him back, I just couldn't fit him in the forward line and he was a lot better than the players I had in the spot before hand, it was a joke side.

FB: RIVERS LONERGAN KELLY
HB: MACKIE TAYLOR ENRIGHT
C: DUNCAN GUTHRIE STOKES
HF: JOHNSON STANLEY MOTLOP
FF: CLARK HAWKINS BARTEL
1R: MCINTOSH CADDY SELWOOD
INT: MURDOCH HORLIN-SMITH THURLOW
SUB: MCCARTHY

I may get shot down in flames saying this but why do people rate Thurlow so highly? I think Bews has showed alot more and is way ahead of Thurlow, I hope im wrong but I think he'll spend most of 2015 in the VFL.

From what I've seen of Bews, he's a very good shut-down defender but doesn't provide much the other way.

B: Andrew Mackie, Tom Lonergan, Jared Rivers

HB: Corey Enright, Harry Taylor, Cameron Guthrie

C: Steven Motlop, Mitch Duncan, Jackson Thurlow

HF: Shane Kersten, Mitch Clark, Steve Johnson

F: Matthew Stokes, Tom Hawkins, Jimmy Bartel

R: Hamish McIntosh, Joel Selwood, Josh Caddy

INT: James Kelly, Mark Blicavs, Rhys Stanley, Jordan Murdoch

Needs a big preseason: Billie Smedts - He's got so much potential, but his career has stagnated somewhat and hasn't delivered so far, but give he's raw and still only 22 he may still come good in time. His best position seems to be as a high half forward. If he can put in a big preseason and force his way into Geelong's best 22, then 2015 could be Smedts breakout season.

On the verge on being an elite player: Mitch Duncan - Incredibly stiff to miss the All-Australian team in 2014 after coming off his best season in his career. A classy midfielder/half forward there's so much to like about Duncan and the way he goes about his footy. Already played 100 games and he's still only 23. Consistent, durable, reliable, and a proven match winner at times, he would have to be Geelong's best youngster right now.

Season 2015 will be a breakout season for: Shane Kersten - With the addition of Mitch Clark, Kersten now becomes the third tall forward. Is surprisingly quick on the lead for a player of his size and his follow up work as well as his second and third efforts are impressive as well. He had a promising debut season in 2014 kicking 10 goals from 9 games. Got tired towards the end of the season, but if he can run out games better in 2015, he will be a difficult match-up for opposition defenders. Could become a 30+ goal kicker next season.

Players likely to make their debuts in 2015: Kade Kolodjashnij, Jarrad Jansen, Zac Bates

Season 2015 Predictions
Ladder position:
4th-6th
Leading goal kicker: Tom Hawkins (70)
Geelong Best & Fairest: Joel Selwood & Mitch Duncan (Tie)
All-Australian Contenders 2015: Joel Selwood, Tom Hawkins, Mitch Duncan, Steve Johnson, Steven Motlop
Brownlow smoky: Steven Johnson

No Vardy? Not that I'm arguing, but find it very difficult to believe Scott won't play him.

At the moment I rate him the equal of Walker until he shows otherwise, he didn't have a strong Nab Cup last year which is the last thing we have to rate him on. I think Simpsons a better ruckman, and Clark is a better keyforward and that he doesn't have the mobility to be a third tall. And given that we have stacked our forwardline I think Blicavs' mobility around the ground(he takes a most of his marks between the fifty 50 arcs) is more important than having a second ruckman who can rest forward.

My suggestion based on typical set up for opposition. Balance of height, speed, skill. Bold are locks IMO others all have question marks on either fitness, age deterioration or in young players view point- their ability to do a solid pre season and force their way in. Ruck and CHF positions up for grabs depending on fragile big boys and who is fit and available!!. Plenty of depth if all fit ,not much if injury prone players don't get up, the fitness staff will be working overtime..

HB: Corey Enright, Harry Taylor, Jackson Thurlow

C: Mitch Duncan, Steve Johnson, Cameron Guthrie

HF: Steven Motlop, ???? injury prone player or Josh Walker, Jordan Murdoch

F: Matthew Stokes (small forward with pressure from Lincoln- if he can show he can kick goals), Tom Hawkins, Jimmy Bartel

R: ?????????? injury prone player or Rhys Stanley, Joel Selwood, Josh Caddy

INT FROM: George HS, James Kelly (inside mid not defender), Mark Blicavs (2nd ruck, utility) , Jed Bews (7th defender), Lincoln McCarthy(needs goals), Darcy Lang , Brad Hartman, Billie Smedts, Jarod Jansen, Jake Kola +? prob missed someone.

Injury prone players who based on history have to prove their bodies can handle AFL: Mitch Clark, Shane Kersten, Hamish McIntosh, Nathan Vardy, Dan Menzel, Dawson Simpson, Josh Cowan

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Needs a big preseason: Billie Smedts - He's got so much potential, but his career has stagnated somewhat and hasn't delivered so far, but give he's raw and still only 22 he may still come good in time. His best position seems to be as a high half forward. If he can put in a big preseason and force his way into Geelong's best 22, then 2015 could be Smedts breakout season.

On the verge on being an elite player: Mitch Duncan - Incredibly stiff to miss the All-Australian team in 2014 after coming off his best season in his career. A classy midfielder/half forward there's so much to like about Duncan and the way he goes about his footy. Already played 100 games and he's still only 23. Consistent, durable, reliable, and a proven match winner at times, he would have to be Geelong's best youngster right now.

Season 2015 will be a breakout season for: Shane Kersten - With the addition of Mitch Clark, Kersten now becomes the third tall forward. Is surprisingly quick on the lead for a player of his size and his follow up work as well as his second and third efforts are impressive as well. He had a promising debut season in 2014 kicking 10 goals from 9 games. Got tired towards the end of the season, but if he can run out games better in 2015, he will be a difficult match-up for opposition defenders. Could become a 30+ goal kicker next season.

Players likely to make their debuts in 2015: Kade Kolodjashnij, Jarrad Jansen, Zac Bates

Season 2015 Predictions
Ladder position: 4th-6th
All-Australian Contenders 2015: Joel Selwood, Tom Hawkins, Mitch Duncan, Steve Johnson, Steven Motlop

I wish Kade was playing for us :p

it's literally impossible to do the 2015 side now.
with the Stanley and Clark inclusions, trying to work out how on earth all our talls shuffle around is doing my head in. Does Blicavs replace Mackie for round 1?
Does Clark replace Walker?
Or does Stanley and Walker play the 1st & 2nd ruck position? Where does this leave Simpson (if fit and fires through the pre season), while McIntosh is also still around.

You then look at Lang (midfield/half back), Thurlow (wing/half back) and Bews (back pocket) who may only need a couple of practice games to come into the side ahead of a couple of veterans, as unlikely as it seems right now.
And that is why I don't do best 22's.
We don't know what the makeup of the team will be, nor do we know who will be in form come round 1.

I don't see a spot for Simpson or Mcintosh in our best 22. I think Stanley will play ruck, along with Blicavs and, when fit, Vardy.

this time last year on this forum it seemed like simpson being out was the sole reason we didnt win the premiership

how things change in a year

If everyone was available, I would expect to see:

B: Rivers Lonergan Enright
HB: Mackie Taylor Guthrie
C: Duncan Caddy Motlop
HF: Stokes Stanley Kersten
F: Clark Hawkins Bartel
R: McIntosh Johnson Selwood
Int: Blicavs Murdoch Kelly GHS

But I would be making a 2011 like move in 2015 and playing two of Hartman, Lang and Jansen and one of Thurlow and Bews every week. I'd be leaving out three of Rivers, Enright, Stokes, Bartel and Kelly every week to allow that to happen.

And no, I don't think we can win the flag in 2015. I see it as a transition year where we need to get games into the next generation and allow them to play alongside great like Enright, Bartel and Kelly while they still can.

If everyone was available, I would expect to see:

B: Rivers Lonergan Enright
HB: Mackie Taylor Guthrie
C: Duncan Caddy Motlop
HF: Stokes Stanley Kersten
F: Clark Hawkins Bartel
R: McIntosh Johnson Selwood
Int: Blicavs Murdoch Kelly GHS

But I would be making a 2011 like move in 2015 and playing two of Hartman, Lang and Jansen and one of Thurlow and Bews every week. I'd be leaving out three of Rivers, Enright, Stokes, Bartel and Kelly every week to allow that to happen.

And no, I don't think we can win the flag in 2015. I see it as a transition year where we need to get games into the next generation and allow them to play alongside great like Enright, Bartel and Kelly while they still can.

Apart from Varcoe, the MC voted Mackie as the poorest of our older players this season.

Apart from Varcoe, the MC voted Mackie as the poorest of our older players this season.
Throw him into that group if you want Fred. I'm indifferent. The group isn't so much about form, but age and closeness to retirement. I think Mackie is further away from the end than those five. If his form drops away, then of course he should go. Thurlow should be first in line to take his spot IMO.

Throw him into that group if you want Fred. I'm indifferent. The group isn't so much about form, but age and closeness to retirement. I think Mackie is further away from the end than those five. If his form drops away, then of course he should go. Thurlow should be first in line to take his spot IMO.

I think Thurlow has played his best football on the wing, from what I've seen in both 1sts and 2nds, but time will tell.

I think Thurlow has played his best football on the wing, from what I've seen in both 1sts and 2nds, but time will tell.
Yes, I probably agree. I think Mackie's role is a real team need though and I'm not sure who else coming through has Thurlow's class and footskills.

Best 22 when all are fit and in form:

FB Rivers Lonergan Enright
HB Guthrie Taylor Mackie
C Motlop Selwood Duncan
HF Stokes Clark Bartel
FF Vardy Hawkins Menzel
Fol Simpson Caddy Johnson
Int Murdoch HS McCarthy Kelly

Emerg Thurlow Kersten Blicavs

Notes:
- Menzel probably wont ever be back
- If Vardy is fit and firing, he is better than Blicavs and Stanley as the second ruck/forward
- Stanley doesn't push a fit Vardy out. Blicavs provides more flexibility and Kersten is better for team structure as the third tall. It only makes sense to have him as pure insurance, but still pick 21 for insurance? hmm
- Simpson can only be replaced by Hmac. 1st ruck for 1st ruck.

Season 2015 Predictions
Ladder position:
4th-6th
Pretty good summation:thumbsu:

It's so weird seeing a hawk fan come in here and be sensible and not a right flog. Can't say you've ever been anything other than measured and kind on this board:thumbsu:

You sure you're not a closet cats fan?;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy 2015 best side

Remove this Banner Ad

Back