Injury 2015 Injury Updates Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Great stuff Forza. Whilst there is no doubt we have missed the precision kicking of Polec and his creative dash thru the middle and the lightning dash of White who not only has missed a few matches but was playing with a groin injury, it shows we have had many other issues before we put too much weight on the injury argument.

I'm still scratching my head as to what went wrong.

Sure teams have worked out how to stop our running game but that still doesn't explain losses against bottom 4 sides. To think we lost to Freo, in WA by 8 or so points after leading all game, in round one and then to lose to the blues and lions is unfathomable.

It makes it hard to fix if you can't clearly see the problem.

Thought I'd have a look at our top 25 players from 2014 and see how they're faring in 2015...

BnF Rank, name, [2014 games missed thru injury, 2015 games missed thru injury]

1. Robbie Gray [0, 1]
2. Travis Boak [1, 0]
3. Kane Cornes* [0, 0]
4. Justin Westhoff [0, 0]
5. Matthew Lobbe [1, 3]
6. Ollie Wines [0, 4]
7. Jay Schulz [0, 0]
8. Hamish Hartlett [2, 0]
9. Chad Wingard [1, 0]
10. Thomas Jonas [3, 2]
11. Brad Ebert [0, 0]
12. Jack Hombsch [1, 0]
13. Matthew Broadbent [0, 0]
14. Alipate Carlile [5, 4]
15. Jared Polec [1, 12]
16. Matt White [3, 4]
17. Jasper Pittard [0, 2]
18. Jackson Trengove [5, 4]
19. Angus Monfries [8, 0]
20. Jarman Impey [1, 3]
21. Jake Neade [0, 0]
22. Cameron O'Shea [0, 0]
23. Domenic Cassisi** [3, NA]
24. Aaron Young [3, 0]
25. Kane Mitchell [0, 0]

New players
1. Patrick Ryder [NA, 4]
2. Nathan Krakouer [NA, 1]

* Cornes - Technically not injured but retired early in the season, played 7 games in 2015
** Cassisi - Retired at the end of 2014

Top 25 players games missed in 2014 (inc. finals) - 38
Top 25 players games missed in 2015 (to R17) - 39 (44 inc. new players)

By the end of our season we would have had more injuries than in 2014, potentially in the region of 50-60% more injuries. I don't know how this compares to 2013 as I don't have the data for it. I only started counting injuries and PAFC BnF scores in 2014.

This doesn't take into account form or players playing under injury clouds.

The key differences are injuries to Polec and Wines in 2015 and the availability of Monfries in 2015.

It's not just how many games they've missed, it's when they've missed. I'm going to include Kane Cornes as an out because it's not like he is available for selection and was best 22 at the start of the season.

Round 1 Fremantle - Lobbe
Round 2 Sydney - Lobbe
Round 3 North Melbourne - Lobbe, Impey
Round 4 Hawthorn - Wines, Gray, Impey
Round 5 Adelaide -Wines, Impey
Round 6 West Coast - Wines, Polec
Round 7 Brisbane - Wines, Polec, Carlile
Round 8 Richmond - Polec
Round 9 Melbourne - Ryder, Polec, Trengove, Cornes
Round 10 Western Bulldogs - Ryder, Polec, Trengove, Cornes
Round 11 Geelong - Ryder, Polec, Trengove, Cornes
Round 12 Carlton - Ryder, Polec, White, Cornes
Round 14 Sydney - Polec, White, Trengove, Cornes
Round 15 Collingwood - Carlile, Polec, White, Jonas, Cornes
Round 16 Adelaide - Carlile, Polec, White, Pittard, Jonas, Cornes
Round 17 Essendon - Carlile, Polec, Pittard, Cornes

There's no consistency with the squad this year. It's not just one player missing, it's 3 or 4 of our best 22 out at once. That means that we are playing players who may not understand the gameplan fully or not be able to execute it correctly due to inexperience etc.

Actually there has been a pretty consistent outs group from Rd 9 onwards I have put Jacko and Bobby in the same group as it means we are 1 KPP down. It suggests our depth players arent good enough replacements and thats where the inconsistency comes from because they are usually in and out like dirty big trout .

Round 9 Melbourne........... - Ryder, Polec, Trengove, Cornes
Round 10 Western Bulldogs - Ryder, Polec, Trengove, Cornes
Round 11 Geelong............. - Ryder, Polec, Trengove, Cornes
Round 12 Carlton.............. - Ryder, Polec, White, Cornes
Round 14 Sydney.............. - Polec, White, Trengove, Cornes
Round 15 Collingwood........ - Carlile, Polec, White, Jonas, Cornes
Round 16 Adelaide............. - Carlile, Polec, White, Pittard, Jonas, Cornes
Round 17 Essendon............ - Carlile, Polec, Pittard, Cornes

Our defence at the moment is sans Carlile, Pittard and Jonas - that's half our best available out. Pittard would be the biggest out of the lot as there hasn't been a direct replacement for him. Ironic given our derth of HBF's. We've sacrificed Hartlett out of the middle and suffered for it IMO.

First-year defender Logan Austin will go under the knife this week for surgery to both shoulders.

AFL injury list as of Monday 3 August

Ollie Wines – shoulder (TBC)
Mason Shaw - groin (available)
Paul Stewart – hip (assess)
Nathan Krakouer – hamstring (assess)
Alipate Carlile – back/hip (1-2 weeks)
Jared Polec – foot (indefinite)*
Logan Austin - shoulders (season)

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2015-08-03/injury-update-round-18

Our defence at the moment is sans Carlile, Pittard and Jonas - that's half our best available out. Pittard would be the biggest out of the lot as there hasn't been a direct replacement for him. Ironic given our derth of HBF's. We've sacrificed Hartlett out of the middle and suffered for it IMO.

:rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its football but it doesn't make it any easier accepting these shoulder injuries. It goes without saying that I didn't want Ollie to have any such injury because they tend to be issues during player careers. Then there's Austin who I think shows so much promise. Bloody frustrating. We've had a fair share of shoulder injuries in our afl journey.

Still cant believe we had Robbie and Ollie out and we blistered the hawks (for a qtr and a half)...

Would rather Ollie back 100% next year, than risk it IF we make finals

I wonder what worked that day but misfired a few weeks later.

I wonder if we just lack pace through the midfield with the absence of a fully fit Polec and White?

Work rate
Clearances and Hawthorn not blocking the middle.
Once teams started guarding the middle and not letting us play the game on our terms we went backwards.

Clearances and Hawthorn not blocking the middle.
Once teams started guarding the middle and not letting us play the game on our terms we went backwards.

Agree that these tactics have kept our scoring down a bit however our work rate has been ordinary this year. Players refusing to do the things that got us to where we were at end of 2014. In particular the discipline to play defence prior to the ball hitting the backline. Allowing the likes of Brisbane, Carlton and Essendon kick over 100 against us is an indictment.

Edit: Looking at the stats and we have dropped from 2nd best in average 'scores for' in 2014 back to 7th so far this season. But we have also dropped from 3rd best average 'scores against' to currently being 10th. Yin and Yang.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back