Remove this Banner Ad

B: Steven Morris, Alex Rance, Dylan Grimes
HB: Bachar Houli, Troy Chaplin, Jake Batchelor
C: Nick Vlastuin, Dustin Martin, Brandon Ellis
HF: Ben Lennon, Ben Griffiths, Brett Deledio
F: Shane Edwards, Jack Riewoldt, Ty Vickery
R: Ivan Maric, Trent Cotchin, Anthony Miles
INT: Reece Conca, Taylor Hunt, Chris Knights, Ricky Pettard
Depth: Newman, Grigg, Dea, Astbury, Hampson, Thomas, McDonough, Gordon, Foley, Lloyd, Arnot

Close to another posters team. I copied most of it.

Well 31 games total for the last 5 seasons, works out to about 6 games a year. Why would his body at 28 years of age after years of injury suddenly be able to cope with AFL footy?
If it was as doom and gloom as you're making it out to be, the medical team would've advised the club that Knights isn't worth pursuing anymore and he would've been delisted. Injury prone players can turn it around with a bit of luck, and from all reports Knights is making fantastic progress. A solid pre-season will do him the world of good.

Senior Side Round 1
B: Steven Morris David Astbury Troy Chaplin

HB: Bachar Houli Alex Rance Taylor Hunt

C: Reece Conca Nick Vlastuin Brandon Ellis

HF: Brett Deledio Ben Griffiths Dustin Martin

F: Tyrone Vickery Jack Riewoldt Shane Edwards

R: Ivan Maric Trent Cotchin Anthony Miles

INT: Ricky Petterd Jake Batchelor Shaun Grigg Ben Lennon

VFL Side Round 1
B: Matt Dea Dylan Grimes Kamdyn McIntosh

HB: Chris Newman Todd Elton Connor Menadue

C: Nathan Drummond Corey Ellis Nathan Gordon

HF: Matt McDonough Reece McKenzie Chris Knights

F: Sam Lloyd Liam McBean Daniel Butler

R: Shaun Hampson Matt Thomas Nathan Foley

INT: Ivan Soldo Matt Arnot Jayden Short Jason Castagna Kane Lambert

Above is my starting sides for round 1. The AFL side effectively rewards those who played a part in us winning those 9 games in a row. While the VFL side with the new draftees included becomes similar in structure to the AFL side.

AFL Side End Of Season
B: Steve Morris David Astbury Dylan Grimes

HB: Bachar Houli Alex Rance Nathan Drummond

F: Ty Vickery Jack Riewoldt Sam Lloyd

INT: Ben Lennon Shane Edwards Taylor Hunt Corey Ellis

VFL Side End Of Season
B: Matt Dea Troy Chaplin Jake Batchelor

HB: Jason Castagna Todd Elton Connor Menadue

C: Nathan Gordon Kane Lambert Kamdyn McIntosh

HF: Ricky Petterd Reece McKenzie Chris Knights

F: Liam McBean Ivan Soldo Daniel Butler

R: Shaun Hampson Shaun Grigg Matt McDonough

INT: Jayden Short Matt Arnot Matt Thomas Chris Newman Nathan Foley

Bit of a change by seasons end with Petterd Grigg Batchelor & Chaplin making way for Grimes Drummond C.Ellis & Lloyd. Granted they aren't massive changes to the line up but I don't see the need for wholesale changes, just slight changes as we add some speed and a bit of youth. Similar with the VFL side with the kids coming in to take the roles of senior guys who are coming to the end of the line.

I have said it before in another thread but I really hope dusty and lids do play on opposing HFF for a lot of minutes.

How do you match up on that. For me that's the key for 2015, how well those two work up front.

That is our strength and we need to play to it.

I like this side:
Senior Side Round 1

But like it even better with these changes:

B: Nick Vlastuin David Astbury Dylan Grimes
HB: Reece Conca Alex Rance Taylor Hunt
C: Cory Ellis Kayne Lambert Brandon Ellis
F: Jack Riewoldt Reece Mackenzie Shane Edwards
INT: Ben Lennon, Connor Menadue, Nathon Drummond

I like this side:
Senior Side Round 1

But like it even better with these changes:

B: Nick Vlastuin David Astbury Dylan Grimes
HB: Reece Conca Alex Rance Taylor Hunt
C: Cory Ellis Kayne Lambert Brandon Ellis
F: Jack Riewoldt Reece Mackenzie Shane Edwards
INT: Ben Lennon, Connor Menadue, Nathon Drummond

Does look stronger on potential although your missing a bench player for the future team

here is my rational to that team, basicaly its about having the luxury to play good players in other positions (ie) Vlastuin top a back poacket, he is too good for that but that is great, he was known for his intercept marking as an U18, and is tough and reads the play well would settle nicely at BP, Astbury and Rance are locks and grimes gives us youth and run in a 3rd tall that Chaplin doesnt. That locks the back 4 and now we need run and grunt at HBF. I look for Conca who is very creative, good skills and can hold his own one on one with hunt on the other flank, both these boys are capable of playing as mids so can relieve and rotate there as needed, would like to see a kid like menadue push hunt to the bench eventually - but that once again is a luxury.

Centre line is run, class and grunt, Cory Ellis is young but will get there (Knights, Gordon or Drummond can fill in till he gets some size), Brandon is a running machine and Lambert is just a hard nose grunt mid with some talent.

Rucks are a lock, Maric, Cotchin, Miles

The forward line is where it really starts to look good, Lids and Martin on the flanks are as good as anyones HF and both these boys could be AA in that position, Griffo is a little flakey at CHF but is getting there, could be replaced by Mcbean if he can step up.

Deep forwards are Reece at FFWD, goalsquare to 30m up the middle, get out of his way he will mark it.
Jack just does what he wants, roves, crumbs leads he has the smarts and would now be playing on 1 opponent not 3, Edwards takes the crumbing role as he can chase, tackle and snag a goal it would be up to others like Mcdonna, LLoyd or Butler to take it from him.

Of the HB i would prefer someone other than Conca as I'd want to be able to break the lines and have elite kicking. I think Hunt could do well there. I like Lambert in the centre, am really looking forward to seeing what he can do. Basically for me our HB line needs the same class as our HF. MACCA will be fun to watch also.

VFL this year will have plenty of attention with our new drafts and rookies

dont underestimate conca, if he gets fit he is one of our most creative players and has a sublime foot... you forget the bullet passes into the fwd line early in his career.
Go and re watch his draft highlights, he can run, weave and create havoc off HB

dont underestimate conca, if he gets fit he is one of our most creative players and has a sublime foot... you forget the bullet passes into the fwd line early in his career.
Go and re watch his draft highlights, he can run, weave and create havoc off HB

Yes I remember his highlights package very well. Would prefer him in the midfield. HB i would love to have a Delidio, pace nouse marking and kicking. Conca is definitely creative and is a good kick. Would you have him on HF?

yes would have him as a HF but not when you have lids and Martin there as both are much bigger threats one on one, conca can play wing, on ball or even in the FP, he is a best 18 player but depending on team balance will determine where he plays...

Can see Drummond possibly playing from round 1 as the sub and then being entrenched in the team by the end of the year. Just something about him

what it will be

b - Morris, Rance, Astbury
hb - Houli Chaplin Hunt
c - Ellis Cotch Grigg
hf Martin Griff Gordon
f Vick JR8 Titch
R Maric Miles Lids
int Newman, Foley , Vlas
sub Conca

in the mix - Batch, Knights Lloyd, Thomas, Petterd, Grimes

What it SHOULD be
b - Morris Rance Astbury
hb - houli Chaplin Batch
c Ellis Cotch Vlas
hf Martin Griff Knights
F Vick JR8 Titch
r Maric Miles Lids

int Conca, Hunt, Grimes
Emerg Petterd

in the mix - Newman, Foley, Gordon, Lloyd, Thomas, Lennon, McDonough, Mcintosh, Mcbean, Hampson, Dea

We actually have a LOT of depth now as any of those in the mix can come in and do a job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i get the feeling chaplin has seen the writing on the wall that grimes and astbury are closing in on him, apparently he put in a solid offseason when he was away from the club to come back fit and firing to hold his spot. This is by far the best depth i've seen at the club in a long time!
Our list and profile is the best I've seen in a long time.

What I want to see round 1:

FB: Morris Astbury Grimes
HB: Houli Rance Hunt
C: Ellis Vlastuin Conca
HF: Martin Griffiths Deledio
FF: Vickery Riewoldt Edwards
R: Maric Cotchin Miles

Int: Drummond, Donuts, Gordon
Sub: Not sure

Really do think Grimes is going to surprise a few this year. He is super quick and agile and another full preseason will only see further improvement. He is so important to us, because if he comes along as hoped, it makes our back line so versatile. He's quick enough to take smalls, and has no issue playing taller. As long as Astbury stays fit, I can't see a spot for Chaplin to be honest. He has similar attributes to Astbury, yet doesn't take a forward. I don't think he is skilled enough, or smart enough to play the loose man. Other coaches exploit him, and he is now a liability.

Another key to us going forward is Conca and Floss. They both have all the tools to become very, very good midfielders. They can both play inside and are skilled enough to play outside.

We need to make our 3 big forwards work. There is no reason why it shouldn't. All three are very capable, and having Vickery and Griff able to offer ruck support is absolute pure gold. This is an advantage our coaches have to cash in on. Make it work!

In the near future I'd love to play Menadue off a HBF and add Ellis to the midfield rotation. If Mckenzie comes along as hoped my forward line in the near future would look something like this:

Martin Griff Lids
Sheds Mckenzie Jack

I think Vickery long term is a ruck man, and will be a very good one. Jack to play the roaming forward role.

I actually wouldnt mind seeing Vlaustin playing the first couple of games in the VFL to start next year.
He seemed to lack some confidence this year.
If he can go back and get 25 and hit some bodies his confidence will grow massivley.
All depends on how his pre-season is though I suppose.

B: Morris Astbury Chaplin
HB: Houli Rance Vlastuin
C: Grigg Cotchin Ellis
HF: Martin Griffiths Gordon
F: Edwards Riewoldt Vickery
R: Maric Deledio Miles
I: Hunt Conca Petterd Newman

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion 2015 Starting 22 for Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back