Opinion 2015 Starting 22 for Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Howa many games did Vickery play in his first year?

Didn't have much competition did he.

If the rumours are to be believed we could be looking at something like:

FB: Grimes Astbury Hunt
HB: Chaplin Rance Houli
C: Ellis Edwards Conca
HF: Knights Vickery Deledio
FF: Morris Riewoldt Martin
Fol: Maric Cotchin Miles
Int: from Griffiths, McDonough, Vlastuin, Lennon, Batchelor, Dea, Newman, Petterd, Grigg, Drummond, Thomas

Depth building.

Edit - forgot about Lambert, Gordon and Lloyd

Last edited:
B: Hunt, Astbury, Chaplin
HB: Houli, Rance, Lennon
C: Ellis, Cotchin, Vlastuin
HF: Deledio, Griffiths, Edwards
F: McDonough, Reiwoldt, Vickery
R: Maric, Miles, Martin
I: Conca, Morris, Knights, Petterd

E: Grimes, Grigg, Newman, Batchelor, Gordon, Drummond, Lambert*

Hunt seems to be set to play down back, and with Morris' role unclear he goes to the bench. Would love to see McDonough given first crack at the small forward role, definitely suits him.

Didn't have much competition did he.

If the rumours are to be believed we could be looking at something like:

FB: Grimes Astbury Hunt
HB: Chaplin Rance Houli
C: Ellis Edwards Conca
HF: Knights Vickery Deledio
FF: Morris Riewoldt Martin
Fol: Maric Cotchin Miles
Int: from Griffiths, McDonough, Vlastuin, Lennon, Batchelor, Dea, Newman, Petterd, Grigg, Drummond, Thomas

Depth building.

Edit - forgot about Lambert, Gordon and Lloyd
what rumours? any goss? pre season is rather dull lol
also i reckon all of Rance/Astbury/Chaplin/Grimes is too tall in the backline so would have to drop one of Chaplin/Grimes at a guess.

also i reckon all of Rance/Astbury/Chaplin/Grimes is too tall in the backline so would have to drop one of Chaplin/Grimes at a guess.
Stig said today Morris has been playing mid/fwd with Hunt/Drummond looking like playing small backs alongside Lennon/Vlastuin as half backs

Definitely too tall, unless a player can be a running machine, can defend small and is good by foot. Not sure Grimes or Chappy are that player.

Yep and if Grimes does start then we cant go with a 3 tall fwdline either. As it is, we don't know if this will work any way.
We will be a better team if we can get it to work that's for sure. Play Vickery at FF, Griff as a lead up CHF and let Jack roam wherever he pleases in the forward half, other teams get 3 talls to work surely we can.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Despite all the talk I still think we'll end up seeing a line up like this:

B: Morris Astbury Chaplin
HB: Drummond Rance Houli
C: B.Ellis Vlastuin Conca
HF: Deledio Griffiths Martin
F: Vickery Riewoldt Edwards
R: Maric Cotchin Miles
INT: Knights Hunt Lennon
SUB: C.Ellis

We get run and carry from defence, accountability and attacking flair in the midfield and a dangerous forward line. We also blood some new players while also keeping some veterans in the bank for later in the season when the kids tire and need a break.

B: Morris Astbury Chaplin
HB: Drummond Rance Houli
C: B.Ellis Vlastuin Conca
F: Vickery Riewoldt Edwards
INT: Knights Hunt Lennon
SUB: C.Ellis
184201_south_park_i_just_came_1.jpg~original

B: Hunt Astbury Chaplin
HB: Conca Rance Vlastuin
C: B.Ellis Lambert Edwards
F: Vickery Riewoldt Madonna
INT: Knights Houli Gordon

Sorry to intrude boyz.

But no Hampson being mentioned by anyone, is he gawn unless maric gets injured?
I think most believe that Vickery/Griffiths will be preferred as they offer more up forward when not in the ruck. I wouldn't discount him fully but for now he'd be down the pecking order.

We will be a better team if we can get it to work that's for sure. Play Vickery at FF, Griff as a lead up CHF and let Jack roam wherever he pleases in the forward half, other teams get 3 talls to work surely we can.

During the winning streak last year we only went with the 2 kpf set up.
1st block was Vickery deep, Jack up. Then Vickery coughed up his spot.
2nd block was jack deep, Griff up.

I'm taking the jack /griff combo. Much prefer that over the 3 of them playing together in the fwd line. rather see Lloyd, Gordon, McDonough, knights in the side using that spot than a third tall who doesn't apply enough def pressure!

The good thing is some decent players are going to be stiff to miss out on a spot in the 22.

Definitely too tall, unless a player can be a running machine, can defend small and is good by foot. Not sure Grimes or Chappy are that player.

I reckon those 4 talls will start. Grimes is agile enough to cover smaller opponents, just needs to improve his attacking side.
Take 7 def into your squad of 22.
Rance, Chaplin, Astbury, grimes, houli, Morris, vlastuin (part of mid rotation group).
Newman, batch, dea as depth.
If Morris goes fwd, then Newman gets a start. Actually can't see them not picking Newman, but if the swans can do it to Ryan O'Keefe, then surely he is half a chance to only get a few games.

Hunt is a better back than Morris
Madonna is a better fwd than Morris
Lambert is a better Mid than Morris

None of them have the grit and determination of Morris. As a certain moon face once said "I like the boy".

The one thing that worked against Morro was the introduction of the below the knees rule. Our fearless cannonball had a great trick taken away from him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion 2015 Starting 22 for Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back