Opinion 2015 Starting 22 for Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon those 4 talls will start. Grimes is agile enough to cover smaller opponents, just needs to improve his attacking side.
Take 7 def into your squad of 22.
Rance, Chaplin, Astbury, grimes, houli, Morris, vlastuin (part of mid rotation group).
Newman, batch, dea as depth.
If Morris goes fwd, then Newman gets a start. Actually can't see them not picking Newman, but if the swans can do it to Ryan O'Keefe, then surely he is half a chance to only get a few games.
Surely if that were to happen they would have told him and he would have retired. Think he will play whether deserving of a spot or not

We will be a better team if we can get it to work that's for sure. Play Vickery at FF, Griff as a lead up CHF and let Jack roam wherever he pleases in the forward half, other teams get 3 talls to work surely we can.
Jack is the key. If by reports he is getting his running game going again, then the 2 other fwds doesn't matter. Last year he wasn't able to run up and back much(either was TV) and the ball wasn't staying in the fwdline much.

During the winning streak last year we only went with the 2 kpf set up.
1st block was Vickery deep, Jack up. Then Vickery coughed up his spot.
2nd block was jack deep, Griff up.

I'm taking the jack /griff combo. Much prefer that over the 3 of them playing together in the fwd line. rather see Lloyd, Gordon, McDonough, knights in the side using that spot than a third tall who doesn't apply enough def pressure!

The good thing is some decent players are going to be stiff to miss out on a spot in the 22.
Agree with the way we went last year at the end. I do think if jack can be a more mobile fwd then it could work. We will have to see.

I reckon those 4 talls will start. Grimes is agile enough to cover smaller opponents, just needs to improve his attacking side.
Take 7 def into your squad of 22.
Rance, Chaplin, Astbury, grimes, houli, Morris, vlastuin (part of mid rotation group).
Newman, batch, dea as depth.
If Morris goes fwd, then Newman gets a start. Actually can't see them not picking Newman, but if the swans can do it to Ryan O'Keefe, then surely he is half a chance to only get a few games.
The problem is, is the 4th tall fast enough or agile enough for the small offender and is he good enough as an attacker with smarts and skill level. I have my doubts Grimes is this, but he is determined.

you left out Oakley-Nichols
IN: Oakley-Nichols, B. Nicholls, Mrakov
OUT: Leys, Laffy, Tivendale

B: Biddescombe Frangalas Banik
HB: Oakley-Nichols T.Roach Houlihan
C: Lounder. B.Nicholls Mrakov
HF: Evans Slater Blurton
F: Brewer Herman Honybun
R: Knobel Trewella Winton
I/C: Thiessen Summers Rombotis Pitura
Updated side.

B/ S Morris - D Astbury - T Chaplin
HB/ B Houli - A Rance - D Grimes
C/ B Ellis - R Conca - B Deledio
HF/ D Martin - B Griffiths - C Knights
F/ S Edwards - J Riewoldt - B Lennon
R/ I Maric - T Cotchin - A Miles
Int/ N Vlastuin - T Hunt - M McDonough - N Drummond

emerg/ T Vickery - J Batchelor - R Petterd

(Having written this I reckon we actually have some solid depth! Still wanted to fit in Gordon, Foley, McIntosh, Lloyd and Newy too, plus I reckon our new kids are gonna be great. And after all that I've forgotten about McBean who could end up being awesome..)

Depth Chart

Small Backs:

Morris, Newman, Dea

Medium Backs:
Houli, Drummond, Batchelor, Castagna, McIntosh

Tall Backs:
Rance, Astbury, Chaplin, Grimes, Elton

Rucks:
Maric, Hampson, Soldo

Inside Mids:
Miles, Conca, Vlastuin, Lambert, Arnot, Thomas

Inside/Outside Mids:
Cotchin, Martin, Edwards, Foley, Petterd, C.Ellis, Hunt

Outside Mids:
Deledio, Ellis, Grigg, Short, Menadue,

Small Forwards:
Lloyd, McDonough, Butler

Medium Forwards:

Knights, Gordon, Lennon

Tall Forwards:
Reiwoldt, Vickery, Griffiths, McKenzie, McBean

Have to see whether guys like Lennon/Vlastuin/Morris/Hunt all change roles like they are rumoured to be. Depth certainly improving

Despite all the talk I still think we'll end up seeing a line up like this:

B: Morris Astbury Chaplin
HB: Drummond Rance Houli
C: B.Ellis Vlastuin Conca
HF: Deledio Griffiths Martin
F: Vickery Riewoldt Edwards
R: Maric Cotchin Miles
INT: Knights Hunt Lennon
SUB: C.Ellis

We get run and carry from defence, accountability and attacking flair in the midfield and a dangerous forward line. We also blood some new players while also keeping some veterans in the bank for later in the season when the kids tire and need a break.

That is legit a very, very good side

Very well balanced, and that forward line is pure filth (good filth)

Despite all the talk I still think we'll end up seeing a line up like this:

B: Morris Astbury Chaplin
HB: Drummond Rance Houli
C: B.Ellis Vlastuin Conca
HF: Deledio Griffiths Martin
F: Vickery Riewoldt Edwards
INT: Knights Hunt Lennon
SUB: C.Ellis

We get run and carry from defence, accountability and attacking flair in the midfield and a dangerous forward line. We also blood some new players while also keeping some veterans in the bank for later in the season when the kids tire and need a break.
Drummond and Ellis will not walk into the best 22, that's off-season dreaming. We need to get off to a good start, and playing hardened, experienced players is a proven better method than playing teenagers. Also, you know Hardwick is still coach, yeah?

Depth Chart

Small Backs:

Morris, Newman, Dea

Medium Backs:
Houli, Drummond, Batchelor, Castagna, McIntosh
Houli and Drummond are smalls, Dea a medium.

We do have better depth than we have in a long time. The more depth you have, the more meaningless 'Best 22' threads are, because up to half a dozen spots are interchangeable depending on form, fitness and match-ups.

Having said that, I'll have a crack.

B: Chaplin Astbury Houli
HB: Batchelor Rance Grimes
C: B.Ellis Martin Conca
HF: Deledio Griffiths Edwards
F: Riewoldt Vickery Gordon
I (from): Vlastuin Knights Morris Petterd Hunt McDonough Lloyd Lennon Foley Lambert

Drummond and Ellis will not walk into the best 22, that's off-season dreaming. We need to get off to a good start, and playing hardened, experienced players is a proven better method than playing teenagers. Also, you know Hardwick is still coach, yeah?

Houli and Drummond are smalls, Dea a medium.

We do have better depth than we have in a long time. The more depth you have, the more meaningless 'Best 22' threads are, because up to half a dozen spots are interchangeable depending on form, fitness and match-ups.

Having said that, I'll have a crack.

B: Chaplin Astbury Houli
HB: Batchelor Rance Grimes
C: B.Ellis Martin Conca
HF: Deledio Griffiths Edwards
F: Riewoldt Vickery Gordon
I (from): Vlastuin Knights Morris Petterd Hunt McDonough Lloyd Lennon Foley Lambert
For me replace Grimes with Hunt in the same place on the bench. Other than that good side.

Didn't say anything about Corey or Drummond walking into the best 22, I simply suggested that we'll end up seeing a side like the one I mentioned. IMO Hardwick will give the old guard a shot early on to get us that good start then as the younger kids show their worth they will get the chance to take a spot. Given the supposed desire to bring in some more speed to the line up Ellis Drummond and Menadue are the ones I'd be looking at to do just that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't say anything about Corey or Drummond walking into the best 22, I simply suggested that we'll end up seeing a side like the one I mentioned. IMO Hardwick will give the old guard a shot early on to get us that good start then as the younger kids show their worth they will get the chance to take a spot. Given the supposed desire to bring in some more speed to the line up Ellis Drummond and Menadue are the ones I'd be looking at to do just that.
What do you mean by 'end up'? Are you saying that once the experienced guys get us off to a good start they'll be dumped for kids? The only way Hardwick will play two first year players in the one side is because of injury. You think Drummond, who was ordinary at VFL level last year, will be picked ahead of Dea, who's a star in the VFL? Classic new toy syndrome.

What do you mean by 'end up'? Are you saying that once the experienced guys get us off to a good start they'll be dumped for kids? The only way Hardwick will play two first year players in the one side is because of injury. You think Drummond, who was ordinary at VFL level last year, will be picked ahead of Dea, who's a star in the VFL? Classic new toy syndrome.
Not saying they'll be dumped just that the young kids will get a chance to claim a spot if their form warrants it. Now I know you don't rate Drummond and that's fine, I liked what I saw of him last year in the 2 games I saw him play at VFL level and thing he offers something coming off HB initially and then moving onto a wing. As for Dea I hope he makes it go plenty of time for him but with the way his body keeps letting him down I'd rather go with someone who doesn't have that concern.

RICHMOND

B: Troy Chaplin, David Astbury, Steven Morris

HB: Dylan Grimes, Alex Rance, Bachar Houli

C: Brandon Ellis, Dustin Martin, Shane Edwards

HF: Brett Deledio, Ben Griffiths, Nick Vlastuin

F: Ty Vickery, Jack Riewoldt, Ben Lennon

FOLL: Ivan Maric, Anthony Miles, Trent Cotchin

I/C: Chris Newman, Shaun Grigg, Taylor Hunt, Reece Conca

Not picked: Jake Batchelor, Nathan Foley, Nathan Gordon, Sam Lloyd, Chris Knights

Astbury returns from a knee injury and takes Batchelor’s spot. Ben Lennon will get more chances in his second season but Gordon, Lloyd and Knights are all contenders for that small forward spot. The Tigers say they want to play Riewoldt, Griffiths and Vickery in the same side.

809182-f941024a-a290-11e4-a11e-9d15a37a8504.jpg

http://www.news.com.au/sport/breaki...ho-makes-the-cut/story-fnect155-1227194808450

RICHMOND

B: Troy Chaplin, David Astbury, Steven Morris

HB: Dylan Grimes, Alex Rance, Bachar Houli

C: Brandon Ellis, Dustin Martin, Shane Edwards

HF: Brett Deledio, Ben Griffiths, Nick Vlastuin

F: Ty Vickery, Jack Riewoldt, Ben Lennon

FOLL: Ivan Maric, Anthony Miles, Trent Cotchin

I/C: Chris Newman, Shaun Grigg, Taylor Hunt, Reece Conca

Not picked: Jake Batchelor, Nathan Foley, Nathan Gordon, Sam Lloyd, Chris Knights

Astbury returns from a knee injury and takes Batchelor’s spot. Ben Lennon will get more chances in his second season but Gordon, Lloyd and Knights are all contenders for that small forward spot. The Tigers say they want to play Riewoldt, Griffiths and Vickery in the same side.

809182-f941024a-a290-11e4-a11e-9d15a37a8504.jpg

http://www.news.com.au/sport/breaki...ho-makes-the-cut/story-fnect155-1227194808450

Imo terrible side.

Batch for Grimes if Astbury plays, Lennon misses out right now for Gordon on the wing with Edwards to the FP. Vlas to the bench for mid rotation, while Knights comes into the team on the HFF. Newy goes out for me(he just doesn't get it enough for me. yes I understand this is a minority view).

The Inside footy best 22 is even worse than this.
FB:Morris Rance Chaplin
HB:Houli Astbury Newman
C: Ellis Martin Conca
HF:Gordon Vickery Lennon
FF:Edwards Reiwoldt Lloyd
R: Maric Cotchin Deledio
I: Griffiths Miles Grigg Hunt

Swap Rance and Astbury around. Newman at least shouldn't start on the ground, maybe Hunt. Griffiths at CHF Not on the bench. Lloyd needs work with maybe Madonna ahead of him. Miles on the bench:eek:. Grigg playing:eek:. No Vlastuin:eek:.

Just so, so bad Brett Anderson.

I am going to have a stab.

This is not first round but whole season so I am going to make a few predictions.

Astbury Rance Hunt/Morris

Vlastuin Chaplin Drummond

Lids C Ellis B Ellis

Lennon Griffiths Dusty

JR McKenzie S Edwards

Ruck Maric Cotch Miles

Bench Petterd, Knights, Lambert, Conca

Short and others pushing hard. I know we can't have Hunt and Morris without busting that 22 but its a wild stab atm.

B: Chaplain, Astbury, Hunt
HB: Houli, Rance, Grimes
C: Ellis, Martin, Deledio
HF: Edwards, Griffifths, Conca
F: Morris, Riewoldt, Knights
Foll: Maric, Miles, Cotchin
Inter: Vlastuin, Petterd, Foley, Lennon
Emer: Bacehelor, Gordon, Vickery

Also in contention Mcdonough, Grigg, Drummond, Lambert, Newman

Last edited:
Bored so I thought I'd have another crack... Tigers with extreme pace

Morri . Astbury Batch