List Mgmt. 2015 Trade, Free agency and draft rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My gut feel is that we might be done as far as trading goes now.

We most likely will lose Whitecross to FA, with the next most likely trade something along the lines of accepting pick 100 for Simpkin.

I think Hawthorn are going in with a plan to only spend 95% of the cap for 2016, and with rumours of a significant jump in TPP as a result of the new TV rights deal, this might be a smart thing. If we were to spend 95% in 2016 & 105% in 2017 we actually have more TPP to play with compared to if we spent 100% in each year. If you are thinking how does this work, well I will try to explain

Lets say the cap for 2016 is $10m (we all know it is a little more than that and for some clubs again a little more again for the time being but for demonstration purposes it is easier to work with round numbers).
Lets say there is a one off 10% rise in the salary cap for 2017 as a result of the new TV rights deal so in 2017 the cap would go to $11m.

If we spent 95% in 2016 we are spending $9.5m
In 2017 105% of 11m (the new cap figure) is $11.55m

In effect it is the difference in available for spending over the 2 years in only 50k, but I believe we are smart operators and look to take advantage where possible. Hence why someone like Heatherly who I believe we would have love to have promoted to the senior list at times over the last 2 years, we didn't because he is on a higher than normal rookie salary, which counts pro-rata to the cap when a player is elevated.

Additionally I'd doubt we'd actually go from spending $9.5m one year to $11.55m the next even if we could. At the end of 2016 Burgyone and one of Gibbo or Hodge could potentially retire, and we'd have the money available to go and get the best available replacements without blinking when it comes to potential impact of the salary cap. Essentially this would give us a war chest to go and be dominant with for the rest of the decade.

I believe we will go into the draft using picks 15, 18, 55, & 58. The next pick will be to elevate Heatherly. With Hale, Lake, Anderson, Suckling confirmed out, likely Simpkin & Whitecross as well & Woodward moving to the rookie list, our primary list will only contain 38 players, however we will likely bring in a discarded ruck as a DFA (Fitzpatrick seems to be leading the chase at the moment, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a Redden, Gorringe or maybe even a Currie picked up either) which will bring out list to 39. We would likely pass on any PSD pick (unless someone awesome fell through) and go into 2016 with 39 man primary list, 5 man Cat A rookie list, and 2-3 on the Cat B list.

tl;dr version
We are going to try and save money so we can replace retirements from 2017 on-wards and still be dominant.

I think we will happily go to the draft as is, but if an option like Carlilse, treloar etc comes up we will make a play.
Club will look to use those picks to get the best outcome whether it is draft, trade or trade up

Correct me if i'm wrong but from my understanding we are out of the running of swapping our two first rounders for a single higher pick (with say a GWS)...supposedly a total points value of more than 200 will be vetoed by the AFL with its new points formula.

And once again, the AFL have made a change without considering the potential consequences. What a ****ing joke that they can veto trades based on some ridiculous ranking points, that may be completely inaccurate for that specific draft. What next? Players can only be traded if they have equitable supercoach points?!

It's true, swans passed on Breust and Hawks swooped
A lot of clubs passed on Bruest for him to go in the Rookie. Doesn't explain how Sydney had zone recruiting in a time of the NSW Scholarships program where players like Sierakowski (T.Walker being the most famous) were drafted from.

Last edited:
Really like what you're saying gunstall... Do you think we can get 3 big mids into our team? Wines, o'meara and shiel?
Do we need to? Getting one of either Wines or O'Meara would be an almighty task. O'Meara may never realise his potential either due to injury. In fact many are already lowering their expectation of what his ceiling may now look like.

On top of this, the 3 names above would come at a massive cost to extract from their current clubs. Shiel is under contract for 2016, so 2017 is a real chance, but not if we have already spent future picks on one of O'Meara or Wines.

Personally I'd love to see us make a play for Jack Martin and turn him into a half-back/small to mid defender. He is a good mark, excellent kick, loves to tackle and has brilliant footy smarts, however is injury prone and has a lot of work to do on his core strength and tank. The next best thing as far as replacing a Burgoyne goes, and in an elite environment he may be able to realise his potential.

In short, if someone like Weideman fell to us in this years draft, we were able to land a Martin in 2016, Shiel in 2017, the natural development of the likes of Howe, O'Rourke, Hartung, Langford, Heatherly, Litherland, Sicily & Miles etc should give us as good as chance as any to continue to be competitive as we transition to an era of no Hodge, Burgoyne, Gibson, Lewis, Roughead & Mitchell.

What has him playing for their reserves got to do with when zones and the academies were introduced? Notice who Barrett is playing for now.
Him playing in their reserves has nothing to do with current zoning.
GWS didn't exist when Breust was coming through, he played reserves for the Swans with a lot of players who ended up on the swans list.
I said they passed on him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Him playing in their reserves has nothing to do with current zoning.
GWS didn't exist when Breust was coming through, he played reserves for the Swans with a lot of players who ended up on the swans list.
I said they passed on him
Please read my original post/reply on this subject.

Please read my original post/reply on this subject.
Yes Breust was pre academy and zoning. Swans had a shot at him based on him playing reserves as you said like many clubs they didn't think he was worth it, lucky for us

There has been heaps of great AFL players that have come through from rookie lists. To me that means there must be many lost to the system. How many potentially great players have been missed by not ever being picked up in a draft at all?

So North have shortened into favs for Aish.. Their offer is a 2nd rounder and Bastinac! What are we doing? We have 2 first rounders available, give one to Brissy and throw Whitey in and we have the deal.. We obviously have salary space and Carlisle is looking less likely by the minute.

18 + Whitey = Aish
Pick 15 = Collins ( KPD post sorted)

Kill 2 birds with one stone

There has been heaps of great AFL players that have come through from rookie lists. To me that means there must be many lost to the system. How many potentially great players have been missed by not ever being picked up in a draft at all?
They're probably in dark, back alley bars across the country drunkenly indicating to the footy on TV that "that could've *hiccup* been me. If someone had just given me *hiccup* a chance..."

So North have shortened into favs for Aish.. Their offer is a 2nd rounder and Bastinac! What are we doing? We have 2 first rounders available, give one to Brissy and throw Whitey in and we have the deal.. We obviously have salary space and Carlisle is looking less likely by the minute.

18 + Whitey = Aish
Pick 15 = Collins ( KPD post sorted)

Kill 2 birds with one stone
Not for someone as vanilla as aish?? He ain't anything special. Just a wingman that the lions took at number 7!

Funny you should mention that.

Old mate, Hodge "We should be playing the kids" Podge, was furious when Hawthorn delisted Tom Schneider and was certain that Hawthorn would regret it. Since the time Hawthorn delisted Schneider, and HodgePodge cracked the sads, Hawthorn has won every single AFL premiership and Tommy has not been seen anywhere at AFL or VFL level since.

Funny you should mention that.

Old mate, Hodge "We should be playing the kids" Podge, was furious when Hawthorn delisted Tom Schneider and was certain that Hawthorn would regret it. Since the time Hawthorn delisted Schneider, and HodgePodge cracked the sads, Hawthorn has won every single AFL premiership and Tommy has not been seen anywhere at AFL or VFL level since.
I honestly never understood some posters love for Schneider. He never showed anything to me that suggested he could be a regular quality AFL player.

Was never going to make it.

Anyone still thinking Carlisle will land for the Hawks?

It's not looking likely now. Although there was an article in the Herald Sun which mentioned Carlisle was unwilling to play for us. I don't know where they got that info from.

But if the Hun is drawing that from the statement that came out of the saints yesterday, then we would still be in with a chance. That statement from the saints was very desperate.

Now the saints have put pick 5 on the table, the rest of the deal just needs minor tweaking and he'll be off to the saints.

So do we need another key defender and if so, who? We have Spangher and upgraded Heatherley - will we go with them to play CHB or look to get someone else eg: Michael talia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back