List Mgmt. 2015 Trade, Free agency and draft rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lake, Hale, Suckling, Anderson, Woodward and possibly Whitecross leaving via free agency, as all those players were all on our senior list, does anyone know if we have 5 live picks in this years draft?

I'm assuming it may look something like this:

Pick 15:
Pick 18:
Pick 55:
Pick 58:
Pick 76:
Pick 94: Kurt Heatherley (Rookie Promotion)
We'll bring in a ruck/fwd as a DFA, I imagine we wouldn't use 76 in the live draft, even if we had a list spot still available. We'd have a sneaky look at the PSD, but most likely carry an extra rookie to get closer to using 95% of the cap for next year.

Lake, Hale, Suckling, Anderson, Woodward and possibly Whitecross leaving via free agency, as all those players were all on our senior list, does anyone know if we have 5 live picks in this years draft?

Pick 15:
Pick 18:
Pick 55:
Pick 58:
Pick 76:
Whitecross stays, Woodward rookie listed, elevate Kiwi with pick 55 or 58 depending on if we can convert 15 and 18 into a better pick.

LOL....You actually took what I said that way. Oh dear.

The point I was making is that I could find many posts by our supporters in this board bad mouthing players from the opposition and or clubs. Maybe even from you........do you know why we can, because its the Hawthorn board. Freedom to say what we like when we like in the confines of our club board.

Then we have you " show some respect for "St Kilda" ....if that's what you call puffing your chest out then surely you're acting like a weener..... it now balances out.

Fair enough. Last night I had a two-year-old with a UTI and baby twins screaming the house down. In hindsight I think I was tired, in a shit mood, looking for a scrap and I've always had a soft spot for St Kilda.

Hat in hand, sorry. :oops:

Flame away!

Yep.

Stratton: pick 46 (2009 national draft)
Duryea: pick 69 (2009 national draft)
Puopolo: pick 66 (2010 national draft)

Great picks no doubt. And brilliantly developed. But with the utmost repect to those players, they are not players you build a premiership side around.

Its the Mitchells, Hodges, and Burgoynes that the club needs to start to look at replacing. This is why if Carlisle does indeed fall through, I think they'll aggressively target a couple of elite mids next year with future picks. And I also think 8 would be better than 15 & 18...

the media reckoned the Hawks were slightly interested in delisted Demon Jack Fitzpatrick a few days back. Is he eligible to be rookied?
It seems to have gone quiet. I probably saw the same things you did in the media. I also thought there was some discussion regarding him being a rookie, and someone who seemed to know something suggested he couldn't. Probably 50/50! Now could I make that any vaguer for you?

My gut feel is that we might be done as far as trading goes now.

We most likely will lose Whitecross to FA, with the next most likely trade something along the lines of accepting pick 100 for Simpkin.

I think Hawthorn are going in with a plan to only spend 95% of the cap for 2016, and with rumours of a significant jump in TPP as a result of the new TV rights deal, this might be a smart thing. If we were to spend 95% in 2016 & 105% in 2017 we actually have more TPP to play with compared to if we spent 100% in each year. If you are thinking how does this work, well I will try to explain

Lets say the cap for 2016 is $10m (we all know it is a little more than that and for some clubs again a little more again for the time being but for demonstration purposes it is easier to work with round numbers).
Lets say there is a one off 10% rise in the salary cap for 2017 as a result of the new TV rights deal so in 2017 the cap would go to $11m.

If we spent 95% in 2016 we are spending $9.5m
In 2017 105% of 11m (the new cap figure) is $11.55m

In effect it is the difference in available for spending over the 2 years in only 50k, but I believe we are smart operators and look to take advantage where possible. Hence why someone like Heatherly who I believe we would have love to have promoted to the senior list at times over the last 2 years, we didn't because he is on a higher than normal rookie salary, which counts pro-rata to the cap when a player is elevated.

Additionally I'd doubt we'd actually go from spending $9.5m one year to $11.55m the next even if we could. At the end of 2016 Burgyone and one of Gibbo or Hodge could potentially retire, and we'd have the money available to go and get the best available replacements without blinking when it comes to potential impact of the salary cap. Essentially this would give us a war chest to go and be dominant with for the rest of the decade.

I believe we will go into the draft using picks 15, 18, 55, & 58. The next pick will be to elevate Heatherly. With Hale, Lake, Anderson, Suckling confirmed out, likely Simpkin & Whitecross as well & Woodward moving to the rookie list, our primary list will only contain 38 players, however we will likely bring in a discarded ruck as a DFA (Fitzpatrick seems to be leading the chase at the moment, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a Redden, Gorringe or maybe even a Currie picked up either) which will bring out list to 39. We would likely pass on any PSD pick (unless someone awesome fell through) and go into 2016 with 39 man primary list, 5 man Cat A rookie list, and 2-3 on the Cat B list.

tl;dr version
We are going to try and save money so we can replace retirements from 2017 on-wards and still be dominant.

Great concept there. Hoping we can pick up Connor Glass too

Pick 15:
Pick 18:
Pick 55:
Pick 58:
Pick 76:
I fear another might not be on the list if you know what I mean...

He is being loyal to his original decision to choose St Kilda and St Kilda are pressuring him to stay fat.
This is the part I can't believe people aren't taking into consideration when slagging off about him.

I personally would have been worried if he had of just dumped his promise to the Aints to join us.

I think his manager has stuffed up by not leaving as many doors open as possible, knowing that getting to another club requires 3rd parties to come to an agreement that suits themselves, which has backed him into a corner of keeping his word because its his word.

I don't want him at Hawthorn for the very simple reason that it takes away my pedestal from which I cast judgment about drug cheats.

Im thinking/hoping we can position ourselves even better. WX, Woody, Simmo and 55 + 58 to gain some better picks. Get another 1st and 2nd rounder if possible making it 3 x 1st and a 2nd. Great lauching pad from there, can even shore up some 1st rounders for next year. I know depth being depleted but have enough gooduns to get thru for now whilst winning next year to boot

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having a crack at 2 first round picks/kids excites me a lot more than Carlisle - not as a player but just the way he has gone about things in the last 2 years - he just isn't one bit likeable!!!

Race for Carlisle getting messy

After another dramatic day of talks between Essendon and St Kilda, Jake Carlisle appears further away than ever from becoming a Saint.

The Saints put their first offer to the Bombers on Friday afternoon, reported by AFL.com.au to be picks No.5 and 63 in exchange for Carlisle and the Bombers' two early second-round picks (No.23 and 25).

Trade wrap: Carlisle talks at breaking point

Essendon was quick to knock it back, saying there was still a significant gap between how the club valued the key defender.

Although Carlisle has not agreed on a move to Hawthorn, it appears the Bombers are still far keener on the Hawks' offer of picks No.15 and No.18.

If talks break down between the Bombers and Saints, AFL.com.au understands the 24-year-old could attempt to reach his preferred home via the pre-season draft.

Not over yet?

Ok , the Jed wash up .....
At the start of the year just like most of us the club had hoped he was our next Mid , but as the BH year rolled on something started to go down . His mid field time was becoming far less and his time Fwd far more . Then he was spending far larger chunks of time on the pine even to a point at times not returning after 3/4 time .
So I chased it up , and without going to deep it had become obvious that his body won't allow him to play mid , lower back spasms, cramping , tighening of the hammy's etc all stuff the club tried to sort all year with no positive results .
Imo Jed is now a small fwd who can swing a game on sheer talent , not an elite midfielder as we had hoped , and being we have a number of quality small Fwds I suspect he and the club saw the benefits of a trade for the right results.
He can play , we all know that , but he's not what we need to regenerate this list .
Hope this helps enlighten many here disappointed in his trade out .

Carlisle can piss off to the psd!! I'm over him and I'm sure so are the Hawks!! You embrace then we embrace, simple as that. Maybe the retirement of Lakey is going to bite us in the arse a lot more than we think. Petrie, Tippett, t.lynch, porkins, Waite, resting rucks who can grab a mark are the types we going to really struggle to cover for. Let's hope the Frawley- Gibbo- Spangher combo works out.

At the start of the year just like most of us the club had hoped he was our next Mid , but as the BH year rolled on something started to go down . His mid field time was becoming far less and his time Fwd far more . Then he was spending far larger chunks of time on the pine even to a point at times not returning after 3/4 time .
So I chased it up , and without going to deep it had become obvious that his body won't allow him to play mid , lower back spasms, cramping , tighening of the hammy's etc all stuff the club tried to sort all year with no positive results .
Imo Jed is now a small fwd who can swing a game on sheer talent , not an elite midfielder as we had hoped , and being we have a number of quality small Fwds I suspect he and the club saw the benefits of a trade for the right results.
He can play , we all know that , but he's not what we need to regenerate this list .
Thanks Dasher! Yea, it sounds exactly as I was saying few posts before that from what I've seen of him this year that he was not a midfielder! Luke Breust has him covered in a lot of areas and come to think of it, so does Poppy!! But he is very well poised, classy, hard at it type but with poor endurance.

Thanks Dasher! Yea, it sounds exactly as I was saying few posts before that from what I've seen of him this year that he was not a midfielder! Luke Breust has him covered in a lot of areas and come to think of it, so does Poppy!! But he is very well poised, classy, hard at it type but with poor endurance.
Endurance is hands down the easiest thing to improve though, so i wouldn't exactly say that is a problem. In regards to his back issues and more time up forward this season, it was probably because he wasn't getting an extended rest, he can get that over the preseason and come back fit and firing for midfield time next season...will be interesting to see how he develops.

You forgot Rioli , :)

Spot on

Endurance is hands down the easiest thing to improve though, so i wouldn't exactly say that is a problem. In regards to his back issues and more time up forward this season, it was probably because he wasn't getting an extended rest, he can get that over the preseason and come back fit and firing for midfield time next season...will be interesting to see how he develops.
See here's the point , sometimes things impede some athletes in certain areas , think this is the case with Jed and endurance , anyhow I'm done on the topic .

Yes you are right but the big problem for Jed is that every time his up and going, he tweaks those hammies. Although not widely known, Jed has had three separate hammy problems in 2013 and 2015.

The fact that we seem interested in trading 15 and 18 for 8 makes me think we are keen on Rioli in the draft. After his combine, teams will circle and he will go in the top 15 so wouldn't surprise me if that was our interest in the pick swaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back