List Mgmt. 2015 Trade, Free agency and draft rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
His 'best' wouldn't have got him a game in our last 2 GF teams. He'd need to have grown a foot or found a yard of pace to force out others.

What he did have was a good tank & a knack for turning his opponent during contests; &, with the reduction of interchanges in 2016, he could well become a valuable squad player (20-26 etc). Far more so than Pick 60-something in this year's DRAFT would likely be & clearly only requires a 1-yr commitment whereas a new DRAFTEE must be signed for 2.

Maybe he would have been overtaken for the last 2 GF teams, but if either he or Goo had of been in for 2012, we'd be Fourthorn already. Was in form. Either one would have been the difference.
2013, he would have been an incumbent. If available, he would have got the gig before Simpkin.
2014, he probably would have been getting games ahead of Duryea, and come GF, he may have started on the bench, or been the sub, but probably would have edged Doc out. Clarko does favour the incumbent. Hell, he could even have forced Sewell out earlier and been our starting mid. Certainly ahead of Langford.
2015, who really knows where he would have been without those injuries.

Doubtfull he will ever regain the physical capabilities again, but it sounds like his confidence is completely shot now as well, which despite getting the possessions, affects his decision making, disposal etc. Got 1 year to focus and get his mental mojo back.

Got to say though, am pleased as punch he's still with us and is going to have another crack. All the very best for a clean run at it.

Also could we pick up Holman and Kane Mitchell as delisted free agents? If so would love them at the club.

As for warnock, i don't want him at the club tbh

Kane Mitchell? Holman? Are you taking the piss?

Nope. Just nope.

why? nothing to loose....

Carlton’s third-round pick in the 2013 National Draft, left-footer Nick Holman was rewarded for his strong form in the VFL with an AFL debut in Round 22 against Port Adelaide.

Known for his tackling, hard running and strong work around the clearances, the boy from Kyabram will be striving to stake his claim for a spot in Carlton’s best 22 in 2015.

Potential Inside Mid

Mitchell is a hard running winger half forward flanker

Its called depth and we need more of it

why? nothing to loose....
Yeah a young player's spot who has upside and talent. These 2 players do not have either and are certified spuds. List cloggers of the highest order.

Mitchell can't kick the footy. Hawthorn definitely won't waste a spot on a delisted player who has trouble hitting the most basic of targets.

Holman has no outstanding qualities and doesn't offer much. Who would he play ahead of on our list?

Yeah a young player's spot who has upside and talent. These 2 players do not have either and are certified spuds. List cloggers of the highest order.

Mitchell can't kick the footy. Hawthorn definitely won't waste a spot on a delisted player who has trouble hitting the most basic of targets.

Holman has no outstanding qualities and doesn't offer much. Who would he play ahead of on our list?

wow wee, its not about taking a spot right away. Its called developing. Something the hawks are good at. Think about it, the players in our reserves will slowly in the next three years be in our best 22, then what depth do we have?

thats why it is important to bring players in and try get something out of them like we have with fitzpatrick and the irish fella.

I have been looking at the list of delisted players.

What does everyone think of Matthew Watson? I think he would be a perfect fit as backup to replace Lake.

Hawks1988 won't like that, he doesn't like having depth. Everyone has to be best 22 lol

I think he just struggled with carlton, could be worth a shot. if you make it to afl level there is always hope and potential. Just my view

Hawks1988 won't like that, he doesn't like having depth. Everyone has to be best 22 lol

I think he just struggled with carlton, could be worth a shot. if you make it to afl level there is always hope and potential. Just my view
Of course he won't like that. Watson is junk, rubbish, amateur standard, call it what you will, he is crap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

wow wee, its not about taking a spot right away. Its called developing. Something the hawks are good at. Think about it, the players in our reserves will slowly in the next three years be in our best 22, then what depth do we have?

thats why it is important to bring players in and try get something out of them like we have with fitzpatrick and the irish fella.
Fitzpatrick fills a need at least.

Do you really think Hawthorn would recruit a player like Mitchell? His kicking is not close to AFL standard, let alone Hawthorn standard. He isn't a contested beast so his weakness in kicking isn't made up with any other areas that he would need to provide.

Why pick him up when you can pick up a kid who may be raw but may actually benefit us and our game style in the future.

Yeah our depth isn't as great as previous years but we still have some very handy players waiting in the wings. We don't need to add list cloggers to our squad. We need to start to gradually regenerate our list. Picking up players like Mitchell or Holman will just stifle that.

Fitzpatrick fills a need at least.

Do you really think Hawthorn would recruit a player like Mitchell? His kicking is not close to AFL standard, let alone Hawthorn standard. He isn't a contested beast so his weakness in kicking isn't made up with any other areas that he would need to provide.

Why pick him up when you can pick up a kid who may be raw but may actually benefit us and our game style in the future.

Yeah our depth isn't as great as previous years but we still have some very handy players waiting in the wings. We don't need to add list cloggers to our squad. We need to start to gradually regenerate our list. Picking up players like Mitchell or Holman will just stifle that.

Disagree, yes mitchell may not be the best. But holman is a player that the hawks should chase

Disagree, yes mitchell may not be the best. But holman is a player that the hawks should chase
The worst team in the comp which has some of the worst depth you could ever see within a team delisted Holman.

I just don't see it.

As for your shot at me for supposedly not liking depth and just best 22 type players. That's just plain wrong. I guess I just see the difference between "depth players" and "list cloggers".

So someone has a different opinion to you & you don't like it :rolleyes:

You must be new here

What does everyone think of Matthew Watson? I think he would be a perfect fit as backup to replace Lake.
You are supposed to type his name in really small letters, so no-one can hear you.
Like you're whispering.

While your at Carlton getting Watson, grab a couple of wooden spoons slb, it will help you stir.

So let me get this straight, we wan't to pick up depth, dud depth to cover injuries etc.......here's a thought regarding depth, play our god damn kids.
Holman Watson Mitchell....WTF

Depth :
Mids: Whitey, O'Rourke, Langford, Howe Simpkin
Defenders: Litherland (HB) Brand (KP) Heatherley HB/KP)
Forwards: Sicily (HF) O'Brien (KP)
Ruck: Fitzpatrick and Pittonet

Majority of these guys need game time.......

Last edited:
Why are you such a cynic dude?

Perhaps he chose to stay for less money given the lure of premierships and the hawthorn family/culture.

Wouldn't be the best decision by him if that's the case, reality is he is far more unlikely than likely to play senior footy. I would be fairly certain that had brissy ever put a deal on the table he would have taken it, and from what I know there was no offers elsewhere.

He is good insurance and depth, def happy he is staying.

So let me get this straight, we wan't to pick up depth, dud depth to cover injuries etc.......here's a thought regarding depth, play our god damn kids.

Depth :

There are also Hartung, Miles, Willsmore and Simpkin (if he is retained). We can't have all of our depth being best 22 but most of those names above have/could play a role.

I read that this year's draft testing results were very ordinary and it's expected that a low number of players will be drafted this year. Might not be a bad strategy to take our two top 20 picks and pick up a mature aged reject on a short deal.

Depth :

Yep. Jed is more than covered by others on the list and our main loss was Lake but arguably he is covered by Frawls anyway. Sure we need to worry about teams with two big talls but we did alright against Sydney in 14 with Lake and Spang. Frawls and Spang/Brand fighting for a spot isnt a disaster.

Our depth is still good. The main worry for this year is whether our developing mids are good enough and the staying power of our old mids. In a perfect world Sammy, Hodge and Burgers are forced out. Sounds ridiculous doesn't it - but I like it actually. Here's how high the bar is boys - give it a red hot go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back