2015 World Cup final at the MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

LOLWTFFFF??? Cons:

• Sucks for those of us living in Brisbane (or anywhere in Qld), only three games but I'll happily go along to watch Ireland flog Scotland, should be fun.
  • No games in Townsville is a joke. Riverview in Townsville successfully hosted all the TV games at the U19 World Cup last year, is a very good venue for cricket and would be ideal to stage minnow group matches. And Townsville is just generally awesome anyway.
  • Canberra and Nelson the only regional venues. Canberra is a good venue and all the money GWS has put into it has paid off. Saxton Oval in Nelson (pop. 61k) is only new has never hosted international cricket.
  • No Queenstown???? WTF? Was definitely going to head there for a game or two. Would have liked to see the Basin Reserve in Wellington get a game or two instead of Westpac Stadium.
  • The opening game is a day game at a park ground (never held intl cricket) in Christchurch :thumbsdown: Awesome.
Pros:
  • No ANZ Stadium
  • NZ vs. Australia at Eden Park :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu: Will be spewing if I don't get tickets for this one.

Gee Brisbane get the arse end of the fixture..........Bangladesh, Ireland v Qualifier, and Zimbabwe.....o_O

This.

While I accept we were never going to host the final, semi-finals or even quarter finals with Australia in it, I was expecting a neutral quarter-final and a group game between two fairly big cricketing nations. Incredibly disappointed that all we get is 3 group games and the two neutral group games are between minnows. Having said that I am oddly enough looking forward to Pakistan v Zimbabwe and Ireland v Qualifier. I just expected more than 3 group games, expected some bigger cricketing nations and expected Australia to play a team bigger than Bangladesh in Brisbane.

While I also accept that Adelaide gets the quarter-final if Australia participate considering they will have the new Adelaide Oval and don't have any group games with Australia in it, there should've been a neutral quarter-final in Brisbane and Perth instead of Sydney and Melbourne considering Sydney will host the semi-final and Melbourne will host the final.

As a Queenslander and a Brisbane resident, I feel screwed over by the draw.

Not so much sucked in, more about the AFL always demanding its way when dealing with other sports. The AFL is the schoolyard bully and its always good to see someone stand up against a bully

The primary tenant expressing its wants and need is "the schoolyard bully"? Okay... :confused:

All I'm thinking is suck eggs AFL, MCG not available until mid-late April.

It sure as shit won't take two weeks to convert the MCG, more like two days. The AFL will be playing there on Friday 3rd April.

It will be interesting to see how the AFL fixture Round 1 with the MCG and SCG unavailable for both weekends and Adelaide Oval unavailable the first weekend.

I remember getting reemed on here for suggesting that the World Cup Final would definitely not be held at the Olympic Stadium...sark bawwwss!!!

And they could well miss a Test as well. There will only be four Tests that season. Melbourne, Sydney, Nine want one in Perth for prime time reasons, and either Brisbane or Adelaide for the other.

Cricket in QLD is sliding. Poor attendances for international and big bash cricket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon we'll get 88000 to a world cup final like 1992, even if Aus arent playing?

Im not sure...

Its likely Cricket Aus will jack up the prices sky high, and it will turn into another West Indies World cup debacle which was probably the worst sporting event ever run in the history of the universe

Umm Miqar, the ICC and the Cricket World Cup organising commitee will set ticket prices, nothing to do with Cricket Australia.

And also, think you will find that ODIs featuring Australia over the past three years at the Gabba has attracted crowds in excess of 30,000 on two occasions and 20,271 against Sri Lanka last year. BBL crowds were pretty reasonable too - av of 17k last season I recall.

But they have had some rotten luck with weather over the past few years so there wold have been some dud crowd turnouts too in those non-Aust ODIs.

tickets to the final for 2007 and 2011 were between 200-500 will see somethign similar with Australia i'm sure maybe more.

Umm Miqar, the ICC and the Cricket World Cup organising commitee will set ticket prices, nothing to do with Cricket Australia.

And also, think you will find that ODIs featuring Australia over the past three years at the Gabba has attracted crowds in excess of 30,000 on two occasions and 20,271 against Sri Lanka last year. BBL crowds were pretty reasonable too - av of 17k last season I recall.

But they have had some rotten luck with weather over the past few years so there wold have been some dud crowd turnouts too in those non-Aust ODIs.

Exactly - astronomical ticket prices.

It just seems odd the ICC and CA wouldn't want Australia playing at a brand new stadium in AO.
Even in rubbish form you'd think Aus would finish top four in the group. If Adelaide are promised to any 1/4 final invovling Aus, it would then be fairly certain Adelaide would get an Australian game.

Of course, that's a big "if" on the promise.

tickets to the final for 2007 and 2011 were between 200-500 will see somethign similar with Australia i'm sure maybe more.

You're ******* kidding.

At this stage, planning on: Ireland v TBA (Gabba), NZ v Aus (Auckland), Eng v SL (Wellington), Bang v TBA (Nelson), NZ v TBA (Napier).....and hopefully the final. Better start saving :thumbsdown:

ok so :

*all 14 venues (7 in aust and 7 in nz) all got 3 pool matches each.
*each nation (other than the hosts play a split of 3-3 or 4-2 in both aust and nz [ would've thought the two pools with one in aust containg aust and the other in nz containing nz - not to be]
*nz get all games in nz
*aust get all games in aust except the nz game (same as '92 world cup)
*ireland plus the other 3 qualifiers will be playing their first ever games in australia
*bangladesh first time playing on major australian grounds

*not a fan of sudden death quarters as the big 8 pick themselves (same as 2011 world cup). wouldn't expect winner of zim v ire or bang to progress, but time will tell.
i'd rather a second phase and sudden death semi's myself.

*the aussie summer will only contain 4 tests v india with bris, perth or adel to miss out on a test.

*word is the one day component of the summer will be a tri series aust/ind/eng leading up to the world cup.
the city that doesn't get the test allocated may cash in with the one dayers (and/or 20/20's)

all in all 2 big summers of cricket in australia .

Six years ago, I would've been pumped after hearing this. With the state of Australian cricket (no characters, not exactly dominant anymore, no extremely fun players to watch, full of tossers and so on) though, I'm not even that pumped. Hopefully by 2015 I'm a bit more excited. Right now though I'm not. Australia's current ODI team bores me.

Six years ago, I would've been pumped after hearing this. With the state of Australian cricket (no characters, not exactly dominant anymore, no extremely fun players to watch, full of tossers and so on) though, I'm not even that pumped. Hopefully by 2015 I'm a bit more excited. Right now though I'm not. Australia's current ODI team bores me.

look it's still long enough away for the aussies to get their act together.
it'd be nice if we found another one or two decent bats or someone started putting their hand up though.
5 odi's in eng
7 odi's in ind
5 odi's v eng in aust
sa tour
pak tour
aussie summer prior to world cup ind/eng

we only need to beat the two qualifiers and bangladesh to proceed to the sudden death semi's (so do the other big guns) - then its win 3 in a row !!

Remove this Banner Ad

2015 World Cup final at the MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back