List Mgmt. 2016 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

He'll probably end up a better KPF than a ruck. Good mobility and skills, ok mark, very poor with his taps tho... could be a project for Coxy?

Ok mark won't really cut it for a forward now will it

I actually don't think its gone backwards , rather the kids around him have come on and got physically stronger, therefore tackling harder and quicker.

His ball drop and kicking posture is appalling ( he kicks hunched back like Cousins did early in the piece ) you are never going to get any distance or penetration when you do that.
He also never lifts his arms out when he kicks so his kicking action is very stifled.
Now that can be corrected as we did with Cousins.

Plus JG likes the dinky passes and therefore he only EVER raises his eyes when he is within striking distance of jailing a goal.
That screams two things to me:

1. selfish player
2. looking for the easy option.

Neither of theses traits please me.

That said I do admit his good is very good.
Entrenches the idea that you dont get everything off the highlight videos.. fixing technique could take a bit of time...

Not sure but an idea

Maybe west coast are planning on getting spp in their second round and he maybe a slider hence not talking the link up so much

Who knows how it works but they got Darling and I feel that was planned. Maybe SPP has already told clubs I wanna be playing for west coast and they will leave him alone and not draft him

Well Barich will already have his first five press conference questions sorted then

I cringed so hard last year when he was asking Parto those questions. Bad enough to bring it up once in what should be one of the better days of his life but instead goes back another 3 or 4 times. It actually pissed me off.

Not sure but an idea

Maybe west coast are planning on getting spp in their second round and he maybe a slider hence not talking the link up so much

Who knows how it works but they got Darling and I feel that was planned. Maybe SPP has already told clubs I wanna be playing for west coast and they will leave him alone and not draft him
No chance he slips to our second imo, I reckon he'll go around pick 18-20

Not sure but an idea

As much as I'd like this to be true it's hard to see SPP making it through to our 2nd rounder

Entrenches the idea that you dont get everything off the highlight videos.. fixing technique could take a bit of time...

Indeed agree that it can take some time.

And Yes tape watching is fine but NOTHING ever beats watching them live.

And I will back our recruiter if we take him ( Gullicci ) as his flaws ARE correctable.

Now thats where you and I have NFI as to how coachable, he may, or may not be and thats where the interview process and due background information sourcing is so important.

Never underestimate that part of the recruiting process .... without being privy to it , sometimes the decision can appear to defy logic.

I coached three kids in Melbourne that made the all Australian under 16 and or 18 sides .
I went through the process of addressing the enquiries from recruiters and even some AFL coaches.
Cue its a very interesting process and it does open your vision as to whats rated by AFL Clubs.

The kids were all very good for their age but , but I knew (hand on heart ) only one would ever make it to the AFL.

He did but only managed to played 9 games of AFL.

One of the others who didn't make it was a lot more talented, but the dedication.... application... and the full on desire just wasn't there.

So some times its not just about the raw talent in itself, rather how it will transfer onto the next level of application.

Mines a variation on that, it's the shit Nic Nats injured again, better draft someone to back Lycett up in 3 or 4 years time pick.

Yeah fair enough, thought they might want to see how Vardy goes this season first.

When your side desperately lacks inside ball winning talent, Brodie vanilla becomes more appealing than Berry vanilla or Gallucci gelato

Yeah there's nothing wrong with wanting Brodie over Gallucci I meant it more as a response what in my opinion, is a misuse of the phrase 'vanilla' to describe players. I think Brodie is more vanilla than Gallucci but I would be happy with either.

Well enlighten us all , who should we take at 12.

Waiting for this reply.

Who would you pick at our first pick ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I'm not sure if you interpreted my post to be more smart-arse than it was intended. I don't think my opinion on who we should pick is more valid than anyone else's (though I have been looking into the draft more and more over the past fortnight so perhaps I'm in a better position than some, who might just read phantoms).

But getting back on point, as Carbine says I have been an advocate for Gallucci but I've also said I'd be happy with almost any of the options being discussed at our pick. So any of Brodie, Gallucci, Berry or Powell-Pepper wouldn't bother me. Should English fall to us I wouldn't be distraught as I think we could use another quality young ruck but he wouldn't be my first choice that's for sure. I also would be happy with Logue even though I suspect he will be wearing purple next year. SPP, as time goes on, I'm less keen on but the appeal is obviously that he has a high ceiling and his attributes are more unique (comparable to Petracca?).

To answer your question directly, I would take Brodie should he be available and I expect he will be. But I reckon we will take Gallucci. The 'vanilla' comment wasn't intended to be a knock on Brodie, he just seems to be more the more reliable workhorse type whereas Gallucci looks like a bit of a gamebreaker. The comparisons to Partington I think are off-base personally. I think he is more comparable to Shuey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not taking SPP will become my new Adamson.

The oppurtunity to add something really different to our midfield mix, as well as an avid Eagles man, doesn't present itself too often. We shouldn't overlook the chance.

While this is always nice it shouldn't be part of our decision making.

I reckon the passion a player has for a club develops properly when they start playing (Shuey, Cuz supported other clubs etc).

I reckon the passion a player has for a club develops properly when they start playing (Shuey, Cuz supported other clubs etc).
Wish someone would tell this to half the guys on the team, I've seen more passion in an under 12's game of marbles than most of our guys showed this season.

Not sure but an idea

I think you're onto something re: us wanting him in the second round. It becomes very important that we have the pick before Fremantle IMO. One of Rotham, SPP or Bolton could be there (SPP the least likely but still).

I think you're onto something re: us wanting him in the second round. It becomes very important that we have the pick before Fremantle IMO. One of Rotham, SPP or Bolton could be there (SPP the least likely but still).
Yep I agree. Something sounds fishy as we have been linked to many players but no one really knows who. As much as the eagles do some frustrating things, generally they get the picks right and I'll back them - as u said whether it's Rotham or Bolton or SPP, something seems up and maybe there was a deal done under the table with a club or two

How many guys do we currently have playing that would bleed for the club?

Reckon we could count them on one hand.

Oh, and with the constant rise of free agency, it should be.

EDIT: Not saying it's the be all and end all, but it's an increasingly important discriminator.

I don't think we should draft someone just because he's a supporter but.....

In a situation where its splitting hairs in differences between players the inherent flight risk of a Victorian boy compared to a local lad shouldn't be discounted out of hand

It's harder to keep a player from interstate and quite likely we need to pay a premium to encourage them to stay

A contact of mine* who knows SPP well says he's been told we won't take him with our first pick.

Take that third hand information for what it's worth. Which is very little.

*IF this phrase sounded any more w***erish
THEN it'd be in the form of a confused and clunky if-then format on an official website

Last edited:
How many guys do we currently have playing that would bleed for the club?

Reckon we could count them on one hand.

Off the top of my head guys like Priddis, Mackenzie, Kennedy, Shuey, Gaff, Hurn, Naitanui etc. I actually don't think any were Eagles fans growing up. I think it's a personality thing rather than it being a life-long loyalty.

Though I do accept SPP does seem the type that would give it all to whoever he plays for, which is a very relevant consideration.

Off the top of my head guys like Priddis, Mackenzie, Kennedy, Shuey, Gaff, Hurn, Naitanui etc. I actually don't think any were Eagles fans growing up. I think it's a personality thing rather than it being a life-long loyalty.

Though I do accept SPP does seem the type that would give it all to whoever he plays for, which is a very relevant consideration.
Thinking back to the Grand Final I can't really remember any of the players listed (Gaff isn't the physical type tbf and did play well) who gave even a yelp and showed a tiny bit of passion for the jumper. That's what SPP would provide IMO. Not to mention his raging bull style is exactly what we need.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2016 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back