List Mgmt. 2016 Draft - It was on last Friday.

Remove this Banner Ad

In your opinion will he !!
Are you asking me a question? :huh:

What i was suggesting was that you derived a conclusion based on logical fallacy.

Not just Ellis but Conca,Townsend and even Vlastuin in the sens of being able to play midfield.

All were drafted to me midfielders and with a shortage of our KPP stocks if we select another 3 mids then you would ask how many can be played

If we had the picks to grab Ainsworth and Kirby would it be because we are hedging our bets on Rioli or simple because we rated them the best talent?

Personally i think if we drafted 3 inside mids we would be hoping one came on and reflect more on the talent available at our picks then the opinion of CEllis and others within the club. That being said the recruitment of Prestia and Caddy do point to the fact that those players you have mentioned have not come on as hoped, especially Conca and Townsend. Vlastuin I think is a victim of Dimma cautious nature as a coach.

Geeze Townsend was a bit of a disappointment wasn't he. Has some great qualities but just can't find the pill, even at VFL level he only gets 18-20 or so. Looked ok as a medium forward towards the end of the year but there's no role for him in the ones there.

Geeze Townsend was a bit of a disappointment wasn't he. Has some great qualities but just can't find the pill, even at VFL level he only gets 18-20 or so. Looked ok as a medium forward towards the end of the year but there's no role for him in the ones there.
Whoever was responsible for recruiting him should be sacked.

Most of the content is supplied from AFL.com and all clubs have to do it. We can still add things to mind you.
Interesting that the Draft Machine on the AFL site uses the video of Patrick Kerr that is from our site. You'd think for the AFL site they'd have their own video.

Interesting that the Draft Machine on the AFL site uses the video of Patrick Kerr that is from our site. You'd think for the AFL site they'd have their own video.
Do you think is any chance to slide to us at 27? Would love him.

Talking about hedging our bets.Seeing that we have recruited Prestia,Caddy & (Yarran) and the lack of depth in our tall dept.Could it be likely that considering we have 2 1st rnd picks next year that we take a tall this year with our 1st and take a tall and a quality mid next year?

No they shouldn't. We only gave up a draft selection we weren't going to use. The epitome of hedging your bets.
That's not hedging your bets. We gave up a draft selection we could have used to find someone who might make it, and gave two years on the list to one who won't. I'd rather we still had Moore.

That's not hedging your bets. We gave up a draft selection we could have used to find someone who might make it, and gave two years on the list to one who won't. I'd rather we still had Moore.

We gave up a fourth round pick in an extremely shallow draft, who we would have had to give 2 years to anyway. What's the difference between taking a punt on Towno (who had and still has potential) or on a 4th round pick in a shallow draft?

Regardless, you state whomever made a deal giving up a pick we were not ever going to use should be sacked for taking a punt on a young player. That's overkill in the extreme.

Do you think is any chance to slide to us at 27? Would love him.
Wouldn't mine him but prefer one of the inside midfielders at 27 and then despite popular opinion I wouldn't mind taking a couple of KPP types at our later picks.

We gave up a fourth round pick in an extremely shallow draft, who we would have had to give 2 years to anyway. What's the difference between taking a punt on Towno (who had and still has potential) or on a 4th round pick in a shallow draft?

Regardless, you state whomever made a deal giving up a pick we were not ever going to use should be sacked for taking a punt on a young player. That's overkill in the extreme.
Towno can't get the ball, couldn't outrun Lennon and tackles with his head, all traits he would have displayed during his previous 3-4 years in the system. He has no future in the AFL.

There's a bloke paid to make that judgement call who got it horribly wrong (and not just that call). When judging players is one of, if not the KPI of your job, and you fail at it, you should be sacked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Towno can't get the ball, couldn't outrun Lennon and tackles with his head, all traits he would have displayed during his previous 3-4 years in the system. He has no future in the AFL.

There's a bloke paid to make that judgement call who got it horribly wrong (and not just that call). When judging players is one of, if not the KPI of your job, and you fail at it, you should be sacked.

Yet he tackles more than everyone else. He seems most adept about clearing the ball from stoppage via clearing (i.e. not bombing it forward). He is a 187 and 90 with capacity to get even stronger. Lets not just state his weaknesses as if he has no strengths.

Recruiters are payed to make judgement calls on players who could potentially fill those kpi's. They will not get them all 100% right. If every recruiter was to lose his job for a poor trade in hindsight there wpuld be no more recruiters left. Hawthorn and Jono O'Rourke. Doggies and Tom Boyd (until this year) etc. The reality is, the club looked at a draft and saw (rightly so) that a player that they could select with a 4th round pick would not have the same potnetial as Towno (who by the way GWS wanted to keep).

So all in all, I cannot agree in any way shape or form that a recruiter should lose their job because they made a judgement call on a players potential (that still might work out btw) against a pick in anl shallow draft that we were never going to use.

reckon we are adding depth to the mids so Corey for example can play as Mid #6/7 & develope under less pressure etc.

we have 5 spots overall including 2 Rookie spots so hoping it's Mids in the Draft & maybe a tall back if the right one is there, maybe Rookie a ruck & leave fwds for next yr!
4 spots only

4 spots only
it's 5 spots we have left but may only use 4.

as for Townsend, we used pick 71 in a weak draft on him, he was & is this yr ready to go, the kid we may have got at 71 would most likely not have been ready rd 1 this yr & may not even make it anyway so we couldn't really lose out on that deal.

as for Townsend, we used pick 71 in a weak draft on him, he was & is this yr ready to go, the kid we may have got at 71 would most likely not have been ready rd 1 this yr & may not even make it anyway so we couldn't really lose out on that deal.
we have 37 on the senior list, 3 rookie. 4 spots.

Yet he tackles more than everyone else. He seems most adept about clearing the ball from stoppage via clearing (i.e. not bombing it forward). He is a 187 and 90 with capacity to get even stronger. Lets not just state his weaknesses as if he has no strengths.

Recruiters are payed to make judgement calls on players who could potentially fill those kpi's. They will not get them all 100% right. If every recruiter was to lose his job for a poor trade in hindsight there wpuld be no more recruiters left. Hawthorn and Jono O'Rourke. Doggies and Tom Boyd (until this year) etc. The reality is, the club looked at a draft and saw (rightly so) that a player that they could select with a 4th round pick would not have the same potnetial as Towno (who by the way GWS wanted to keep).

So all in all, I cannot agree in any way shape or form that a recruiter should lose their job because they made a judgement call on a players potential (that still might work out btw) against a pick in anl shallow draft that we were never going to use.
I don't care. He's a dud.

We did lose out. The bloke played reserves all year and will again. Waste of a list spot that could have been used on a young key defender like Glass-McCasker or a little gun like McDonald-Tip.

A young kid who needs another preseason to develop the body so he
can compete with men better, but already has the skills/decision making....you can say 'ready to go next season (ie Menadue).
A player like Townsend who has been bullocking his way in packs with men already for a few seasons, hacking the ball forward and generally running to wrong places on the field, I'm not sure where your confidence for suddenly 'ready to go' comes from.
But he's playing for 12 more months at least and Jackson/Tuck made me finally concede they had a role, so I'll watch with interest and hope he has a preseason where all his football 'dumbness' disappears.

We did lose out. The bloke played reserves all year and will again. Waste of a list spot that could have been used on a young key defender like Glass-McCasker or a little gun like McDonald-Tip.
Would of loved Tippa or Tom Papley who played 20 games in his first year including the GF for Sydney, both were taken in the rookie draft.

But I suppose we should focus on this years draft.

Townsend not only doesn't get enough of the pill close in but has absolutely no tank. With interchange rules changing last year and likely to be reduced further just can't see him making it. Miles is another mid with a below par tank albeit a class above Townsend. No way you'd ever play both particularly if we've got plans to play a more running/attacking game style.

Will Himmelberg make it until 56? At 27 I'd be into Ripley, Begley and Rotham. To anyone in the know where do you predict Fisher and Guelfi to go? I really liked watching them (and Rotham) play at the champs but think its likely they won't last to 56 (27 is too early?)

Just my uninformed opinion, but from next weeks draft if we can land the following I'll be happy.

27. Dylan Clarke 186cm 84kg Inside Midfielder

56. Elliot Himmelberg 18 year old 196cm 84kg KPD

78. Mitch McCarthy 19 year old 196cm 87kg KPF

Not the most exciting draft from a fans perspective but one that I believe would hold us in good stead list wise.

Possible Draft.jpg

Now I know some will say why bother getting KPPs this year when next year is the draft for that. However, in my uninformed opinion there is some value to be had in the KPP ranks especially with a strong midfield pool there is a chance some of the good talls slide down as others look to stock up on mids. Further to that we currently have 4 KPF, 3 KPD and 4 rucks which is less than ideal. Adding a KPF & KPD gives us that extra bit of cover just in case injury hits, which given it's us it will happen.

Finally, based on what Balme was saying about the coaching restructure it would appear that the plan is that both sides will play the same structure and the players will be given the same roles in both sides so that when they come into the senior side they know what is expected. Over the last few years the structures in the 2 sides has been different, with a draft that delivers something along the lines of what I've suggested we could start playing the same structure in both sides which allows players coming up from the VFL to know exactly what is expected from them.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2016 Draft - It was on last Friday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back