List Mgmt. 2016 GFC National Draft & DFA Thread-please see Mod Announcement Page 50 post #1228

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Each top 10 club gives the afl a list of 3-4 guys they are likely to pick and the ones with the most votes the afl invites to the draft to be on camera. I guess that whoever was on geelongs list then it became clear they would go before 10 so we asked the afl to add cockatoo which is why it happened very late. I suspect that having 4 top 10 picks and not knowing where bowes will be bid on they have given the afl a much bigger list than usual which is why 18 have then been invited.

The invite list doesnt guarantee much after 10 but it tells you who gc arent considering and it tells you someone has indicated they might bid on perryman inside 10 (maybe sydney?)

I suppose with quite a few clubs having multiple picks in the top 20 it is a fair indication that most of these players will be gone by our first pick though. Just glad a few of our favs aren't named!

Looks like this bloke is forgotten....

David.. I dont think "we" have forgotten him , but he and another one I like Cumming... there is uncertainty about their availability. I get the feeling you would like us to at least call his name and make them choose at 24. Id not be against that , he seems to be someone that would fit the profile of our needs. ..but id suspect the same could be said of GWS. If they had lost picks id be more confident that we could snare him or Cumming.

Last edited:
I think the AFL has told clubs they can't pick a player in the top 10 thats not in the room. Hence why Cockatoo was rushed in. They promote the top 10 on stage and the day after in photo shoots.

I think the AFL has told clubs they can't pick a player in the top 10 thats not in the room. Hence why Cockatoo was rushed in. They promote the top 10 on stage and the day after in photo shoots.
That can't be true the clubs have to be allowed to change their mind and pick who they want. What would the afl do about it?

If thats true , its utter spin over substance. Invite more kids, make the invite an important recognition or something but dictating a clubs choice based on attendance is a bit off to me.

The clubs are not limited to how many they can nominate to attend they just cant pick anybody they haven't nominated.

For instance Gold Coast may have given the AFL 12 names

I agree Marshall would be almost a pick too good to be true, considering earlier in the year some had him as a possible #1 pick. I just doubt he gets to us. On the others , witherden speed questions , SPP dispossal , venables consistency ... I get the feeling no matter who we pick there will be questions.

The whole invite thing sort of lessens the surprise factor , especially late invites for someone like Cockatoo
Marshal will go to richmond to support reiwoldt i fear.

A bit of a bolter to look out for on Friday night is Sturt's Lewis Young. 197cm KPF who is capable in the ruck. Admittedly I haven't seen him live, but looks very athletic on tape and has the required attributes. Played senior SANFL footy late in the season and generating a lot of club interest in the last month.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

A bit of a bolter to look out for on Friday night is Sturt's Lewis Young. 197cm KPF who is capable in the ruck. Admittedly I haven't seen him live, but looks very athletic on tape and has the required attributes. Played senior SANFL footy late in the season and generating a lot of club interest in the last month.

as I posted above ... his kicking looked like it needed quite a bit of work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suppose with quite a few clubs having multiple picks in the top 20 it is a fair indication that most of these players will be gone by our first pick though. Just glad a few of our favs aren't named!

Keep in mind also clubs are only doing last round of interviews now as they aren't allowed to talk to draftees during exams so some would have for eg given florent on their lists but in the last interviews now he is saying he wants to stay home he will slide in order on draft night but afl wont uninvite him as he has already been invited etc. So the lists are indications but not guarantees esp where clubs have multiple pics it gets tactical.

They havent done that they dont have the power but they want the top 10 on camera so they ask the clubs to submit more than 2 names to cover their bases so to speak to reduce chances of someone getting picked who isnt there.

as I posted above ... his kicking looked like it needed quite a bit of work.
Sorry missed that. Herald Sun article out today too, so not much of a smoky after all haha.

He is a decent prospect though. His Sturt vision in particular was promising. Very raw.

A short read on Brad Scheer on the afl website. Getting him at 24 won't be the worst thing to happen

A short read on Brad Scheer on the afl website. Getting him at 24 won't be the worst thing to happen

Gc will match a bid but i would be happy to bid on him to force them to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back