List Mgmt. 2016 GFC National Draft & DFA Thread-please see Mod Announcement Page 50 post #1228

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
15 and 37

re our previous discussion ... do you feel they will match for Sproule now? Id say they will have to be very selective if the lose those two picks. Take McGrath for eg... just who do they match on.

I see on Sproules highlights he even played some time down back , which I was not aware of. Im sure his mobility will interest us.

Don't rate him? I've only seen highlights but he appears to be a nice type. You have Spoule in front of him I assume?
I have been on the need for goals for a while, so if a good enough forward is available with our first pick I feel we should look at him.

I have heard Macreadie described as a player most likely to develop into a mid. At 196cm? Putting that aside , I'd don't think our first priority should be KPB.. so id not take him or Cox with our first which may be 23 . And I like Cox. Do I have Sproule ahead of Macreadie.. I think needs sways it , and considering Sproule has played down back a bit , yes Id pick him first. Sproule is light atm , but so was Gardner last year. His movement and mobility , his conversion presents as a good package... his light weight probably puts him later than his skills set would present. And if GWS lose picks they may not match now.

If this punishment was to another club it would be devistating for them but considering how many picks the Giants are always swimming in it will hardly affect them. At the same time the afl can make a statement to make sure clubs get there act together with policies and procedures.

I have been on the need for goals for a while, so if a good enough forward is available with our first pick I feel we should look at him.

I have heard Macreadie described as a player most likely to develop into a mid. At 196cm? Putting that aside , I'd don't think our first priority should be KPB.. so id not take him or Cox with our first which may be 23 . And I like Cox. Do I have Sproule ahead of Macreadie.. I think needs sways it , and considering Sproule has played down back a bit , yes Id pick him first. Sproule is light atm , but so was Gardner last year. His movement and mobility , his conversion presents as a good package... his light weight probably puts him later than his skills set would present. And if GWS lose picks they may not match now.

I come from a slightly different tack. I reckon if we are going to draft a KPF we need to look at better quality than what's available with our first pick this year. I can mount a case for Battle to be taken as that second forward but if I look into my crystal ball I have doubts as to whether both Sproule or Kerr will be really effective AFL key forwards.

If I look at our talk backs, yes we have Gardner and Kolo, but I see Kolo as a third tall, not KP, hence the need, in my opinion, for another true KP player. Both Cox and Macreadie to me fit that bill. Both have strong athletic attributes. Both have excellent disposal. I also like the idea of having a young group of backs developing together as we saw with Scarlett, Harley, Milburn and Enright.

Anyway, we all have differing views. Always interested to hear your take.

re our previous discussion ... do you feel they will match for Sproule now? Id say they will have to be very selective if the lose those two picks. Take McGrath for eg... just who do they match on.

I see on Sproules highlights he even played some time down back , which I was not aware of. Im sure his mobility will interest us.

They are more likely to overlook him if the get an earlier bid in order to get 2 other prospects later where as before they wouldn't have needed to make a choice.

One thing to be aware of is that Sproule has predominantly played as a KPD not a KPF. He has shown enough attributes to suggest he maybe developed into one.

Ok folks, I decided to do a depth chart to give us an idea of which area of the field we need to be looking to bolster in the upcoming two drafts. It should tell us not only where we lack depth but also where we lack quality as well.

I've categorised the players according to where I believe their natural or core position is and also take into consideration where they're most likely to spend the majority of their time in 2017. There are a lot of grey areas so I don't expect everyone to agree and that's fine.

KPD- Lonergan, Taylor, Henderson, Kola, Gardiner.

I think that we're well stocked in this area and even with a couple of our veterans coming towards the end I don't see it as a great area of need at this point.

Small/Medium Defenders- Mackie, Tuohy, Thurlow, Bews, Ruggles.

Having just lost Enright and about to be losing Mackie I could see us looking to add one or two players in this area. It's not an area where we're in dire need but another quality rebounding defender could help ease the passing of some of our retired or retiring champions. The recruitment of Tuohy helps us probably more than I realised when we first recruited him TBH. I think that he will be a very important addition.

Rucks- Smith, Stanley.

I like our quality with the two that we do have but we really need to be adding two more rucks throughout the two drafts. I'd be looking to add one mature type with hopefully some scope to continually improve and one development ruck with a view to having them succeed Smith or Stanley at some point if they're good enough. As far as depth goes it is definitely an area of need.

Inside Mids- Danger, JSel, SSel, Blitz, Menegola, H-S, Cockatoo, Lang.

We're very strong in this area and I don't see the need to be adding to it unless there is an option that is simply too good to pass up at that particular pick. There's a really good mix and balance so my only hope is that we continue to place faith in these players and provide more opportunities to the less experienced ones. Whilst I wasn't happy with Caddy leaving, at least it is an area that we do have some good depth in.

Outside Mids- Motlop, Duncan, Guthrie, Cowan, Cunico, Parsons.

I really think that we lack a little bit in this area. With 3 of those players still having question marks against them and Guthrie and Duncan capable of playing multiple positions I strongly believe that this is an area of need that doesn't necessarily require depth but requires more quality with someone who is capable of being a major weapon in assisting us transition the ball between the two arcs. It would make such a positive difference in the way that we play and it is why Motlop is such an important player for us in 2017 if we are to be good enough to contend.

KPF- Hawkins, Black, Buzza.

This area is quite simple. We need both quality and depth. The saving grace is that we do have some make shift options in Hendo, Taylor and also Stanley but Hawkins is crying out for support and it's certainly an area that we need to be looking to bolster either at this years draft or the next. The only other comment that I will make is that there is no point in drafting a young KPF if he isn't going to be good enough. A poor player is a poor player so we need to be careful of falling into the trap of drafting a KPF just because we need one only to burn a decent pick that we could have used constructively elsewhere.

Small/Medium forwards- Menzel, McCarthy, Murdoch, Gregson, Hayball.

Much like with our small/medium defenders, I like what we have but we don't have enough of it. There is some real potential in this group but it does revolve heavily around the stability of Menzel's knees which is a concern no matter how you want to try and spin it. With the loss of Kersten and the uncertainty surrounding Menzel (durability, not talent) we definitely need to be looking to add another of this type along with a conventional crumbing type in the mould of Walters or DEVON SMITH! :D

Overall Summary- I think that our list is in a precarious position TBH. The quality is there but having turned the list over so much during the last 2 years we really do need to continue to keep finding players that are capable of filling holes/needs for us, whether that be by way of the draft or trading/FA. I get the sense that we have plenty of "nice" types on our list that have the required talent but perhaps aren't quite the players that we hoped they would turn out to be. Putting positions and physical attributes aside, to remedy this I'd be looking to bring in players that are not only talented but also have the mental fortitude to want to succeed and achieve the games highest goal which is of course, a Premiership.

Again, putting positions and physical attributes aside, I want a Brett Kirk. I want a Daniel Cross. I want a Josh Carr. I want a Matthew Scarlett. I'm sure by now you get the point but this is the type of player that I believe will help us take that next step. It's the real intangible that I'll be looking for out of this years draft crop and I can't wait!
Nice post. Your passion and excitement needs to relay to team come finals time in 17.

They wont have to use 2 on a bid (unless essendon bid on setterfield). They need mcraedie and garthwaite as they lack kpds and i presume they will take setterfield and perryman. So if they lose picks they will let sproule cumming and mutch go or they will go into deficit to match the bids.

What are people's thoughts on bidding for Macreadie at 24?

On one hand I really like Macraedie (I actually rate him higher than Marchbank who went top 10) but on the other key defenders we have heaps of-Lonergan Tayloy Henderson Kolo Gardiner and Blicavs can play there competently if injuries require it. Even with next year likely to be Lonergan's last we really are not short of KPD's and with limited high picks I would be disppointed if we used this year's on one.

If we were going to bid on an academy player I would much rather we bid on Sproule TBH.

They are more likely to overlook him if the get an earlier bid in order to get 2 other prospects later where as before they wouldn't have needed to make a choice.

One thing to be aware of is that Sproule has predominantly played as a KPD not a KPF. He has shown enough attributes to suggest he maybe developed into one.

I have not seen him play as a KPD , so it must be in TAC. Like most of these kids Im judging him on limited data. For a start , we don't get to get a vibe for them personally unless there is a interview posted somewhere. The AFL Draft Machine is hardly perfect but it does nominate him as FWD so he must have played there a fair whack of time. Do you have any of those heat map that would confirm your KPD observation?

I come from a slightly different tack. I reckon if we are going to draft a KPF we need to look at better quality than what's available with our first pick this year. I can mount a case for Battle to be taken as that second forward but if I look into my crystal ball I have doubts as to whether both Sproule or Kerr will be really effective AFL key forwards.

If I look at our talk backs, yes we have Gardner and Kolo, but I see Kolo as a third tall, not KP, hence the need, in my opinion, for another true KP player. Both Cox and Macreadie to me fit that bill. Both have strong athletic attributes. Both have excellent disposal. I also like the idea of having a young group of backs developing together as we saw with Scarlett, Harley, Milburn and Enright.

Its a reasonable way to look at it. I would however say that id prefer to draft the best forward available that has got the most transferable talent , so im not specially looking KPF ie it was why I originally was hoping for Hayward....and while I'm aware of the idealism of drafting a KPF with early picks , id say if we do not draft anyone we will be restricted to trade only , after all when was the last time we had a very early pick. Next year was the year imo, there is a heap of tall talent , and we have traded our R1. I don't see us getting very early picks for a while , and I do think we need to add talent asap if we are going develop our own. Perhaps the clubs sees itself just going down the FA path with a Patton or someone else. They didn't look at bringing someone like Stewart.. so it sort of says to me they have something up their sleeve.

Imo , Sproule could quite easily end up a backman , so drafting him doesn't rule us out of looking at other available players at either end. I guess if I was going to add a tall backman , and be probably content to get someone with our 2nd or 3rd pick. Gardner was a pick much later , and this years draft is deeper. Id say Wells could drag a name from somewhere for a tall back option. Adams for the Dogs was state league player..and I do not know all the options out there. Kietel for instance is a name id basically forgotten about till it was mentioned on here.

I have not seen him play as a KPD , so it must be in TAC. Like most of these kids Im judging him on limited data. For a start , we don't get to get a vibe for them personally unless there is a interview posted somewhere. The AFL Draft Machine is hardly perfect but it does nominate him as FWD so he must have played there a fair whack of time. Do you have any of those heat map that would confirm your KPD observation?

I don't have a heat map or proof, the best indicator I have is that he kicked 4 goals in 10 games at TAC cup level. If he was playing as a full time KPF you'd expect him to kick a lot more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez the afl site is stupid-their draft preview reckons we need a small forward when we already have 2 good ones in mccarthy and gregson and a kpd when we have heaps of them. I would have thought its obvious we need a key forward and a good outside mid with speed (especially given motlop is a free agent next year).

From that position forwards like battle or kerr or marshall or a quality outside mid like a venables or florent would be ideal. If all those guys are gone i am not against bidding on someone like sproule. Galluci or cox wouldnt be the worst options at 24/38 for outside players.

Geez the afl site is stupid-their draft preview reckons we need a small forward when we already have 2 good ones in mccarthy and gregson and a kpd when we have heaps of them. I would have thought its obvious we need a key forward and a good outside mid with speed (especially given motlop is a free agent next year).

From that position forwards like battle or kerr or marshall or a quality outside mid like a venables or florent would be ideal. If all those guys are gone i am not against bidding on someone like sproule. Galluci or cox wouldnt be the worst options at 24/38 for outside players.

We don't have 2 good ones we have 2 average ones

If this punishment was to another club it would be devistating for them but considering how many picks the Giants are always swimming in it will hardly affect them. At the same time the afl can make a statement to make sure clubs get there act together with policies and procedures.

Ban them from R1 and R2 , sort like Car then...that would hurt.

The counter argument to the better quality is we are unlikely to have an earlier pick next year than 24 so its perfectly reasonable to hit a kpf at 24 this year. Unless we are going to go down the trade route and spend a high cost in terms of picks and players to get someone like wright in.

As for kpds kolo needs to be a kpd imo his kicking is not good enough to be an intercepting third tall. And if we were going to take a kpd its easier to find a good kpd late in a draft than a good kpf late in a draft.

Ban them from R1 and R2 , sort like Car then...that would hurt.

Nah they have so many r1s and will get r1 worthy players like setterfield and perryman and mcraedie at discounts like they did with their academy players last year. It won't hurt them a lot taking cap space off them would hurt far more.

Nah they have so many r1s and will get r1 worthy players like setterfield and perryman and mcraedie at discounts like they did with their academy players last year. It won't hurt them a lot taking cap space off them would hurt far more.
Id be surprised if losing P2 wouldn't hurt , especially after trading to get it.

It say Goalsneak and a tall defender who can use the ball well.. does anyone want who uses the ball badly? ... I guess it depends on how you envision goalsneak. Id agree with Shai Bolton being of interest , and the general need for someone who can create and kick goals is fair. Its written by Peter Ryan , who is on GFC site isn't he? For what its worth id say our needs are more in tune with your comments.

I agree with him so I must be stupid too ;)

I saw him play four games for Murray this year and during those, he played a majority of the time in defence.

Started up forward in the QF against Dandenong, but was beaten early by young Clavarino. Moved to defence in the second quarter and looked more comfortable.

Started in defence in the Preliminary Final against Oakleigh and stayed there for the entire game. Best performance I saw from him all year. Intercepted well and provided surprising rebound from D50. Rotated through a few different opponents with Garthwaite fixed on Kerr and impacted many aerial contests.

Started defence again in the GF against Sandringham but didn't have as big of a say with Garthwaite seemingly intercepting everything. Moved forward in the third quarter and had a immediate impact with an important goal, but missed two vital shots in the last.

Played a large percentage of the game back in the game I saw earlier in the year too.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Gallucci won't go past 15, sadly for (us)me. Almost certainly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back