List Mgmt. 2016 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Have been on the young man's case myself. Claimed he was gonski, but he has definitely turned things around since that fateful Pies game. He still has a lot to prove, but I am glad he sees a future with us. Says a lot about our culture and the potential the players see in being part of something special.

Gotta say if he did leave I wouldn't have been upset with him because he has been very loyal to the club and stayed through the dark times.

He seems a very honest young man and that is probably why he has never hidden his love of Melbourne.

I think he has just realised that he is not a forward and is actually a very good defender and in that role he has a real future with the club.

Good on him, I hope he does stick around long term, he has all the tools to be a star.

No chance a player with no games under their belt and an ACL is a required player- no matter how high they were drafted.

If someone wants him they can have him. id take kennedy any day over him

Hang on, we haven't even seen what the kid can do. He was getting pretty close to selection before he hurt his knee.

We paid a fair price for him and he is a quick mid/small forward which is what we are looking for.

If we just start throwing away all our collateral the advantage we have built over the last few years will be lost pretty quick.

Kennedy is more comparable to Hopper and Cal. Highly skilled tall mid that is also a good mark and can kick a goal but lacking in pace and agility.

Ahern is vying with StevieJ, Dev, Pickety, Palmer for that speedy small forward that can play through midfield.

When up and about he's a super talent, very much in the mould of young Gresham from St Kilda.

We need to see more before giving away the farm.

Hang on, we haven't even seen what the kid can do. He was getting pretty close to selection before he hurt his knee.

We paid a fair price for him and he is a quick mid/small forward which is what we are looking for.

If we just start throwing away all our collateral the advantage we have built over the last few years will be lost pretty quick.

Kennedy is more comparable to Hopper and Cal. Highly skilled tall mid that is also a good mark and can kick a goal but lacking in pace and agility.

Ahern is vying with StevieJ, Dev, Pickety, Palmer for that speedy small forward that can play through midfield.

When up and about he's a super talent, very much in the mould of young Gresham from St Kilda.

We need to see more before giving away the farm.
Meh i disagree. I haven't seen much to hang my hat on and there is another year of academy kids coming through who will fill the small forward/midfield role if required. Small forwards are a dime a dozen mate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I received some info (third hand mind you) from a well respected journo in he media (sorry can't name names) that you guys are keen on Billy Longer. I realise he recently re-signed a contract with us and also that he moved from Brisbane to St Kilda due to the 'go home factor' so it doesn't make a lot of sense. However from a GWS point of view they may see Billy as a succession plan post Mummy. He plays a similar bash and crash style and would do well under the tutelage of Mummy. I realise this is obvious but the info included Steele in the transaction. I realise this isn't the hypothetical thread so I'm not going to throw up trade suggestions, just passing on what I was told.

I received some info (third hand mind you) from a well respected journo in he media (sorry can't name names) that you guys are keen on Billy Longer. I realise he recently re-signed a contract with us and also that he moved from Brisbane to St Kilda due to the 'go home factor' so it doesn't make a lot of sense. However from a GWS point of view they may see Billy as a succession plan post Mummy. He plays a similar bash and crash style and would do well under the tutelage of Mummy. I realise this is obvious but the info included Steele in the transaction. I realise this isn't the hypothetical thread so I'm not going to throw up trade suggestions, just passing on what I was told.

Im just a bit concerned on your own Board that members were nervous about Paddy McCartin hanging out with Billy Longer. What is the go there, is he loose?? I remember on his Draft night his family resembled the Table of Freaks from the Wedding Singer. Don't really want to inherit any cancer.

If we picked him up for a swap with Stewart I wouldn't object but if Steele is involved I will be hunting down our List Management team.

Im just a bit concerned on your own Board that members were nervous about Paddy McCartin hanging out with Billy Longer. What is the go there, is he loose?? I remember on his Draft night his family resembled the Table of Freaks from the Wedding Singer. Don't really want to inherit any cancer.

If we picked him up for a swap with Stewart I wouldn't object but if Steele is involved I will be hunting down our List Management team.

Steele is gone mate.

But I don't think it will be for a player, more likely his chosen club's next years second-round pick.

Steele is gone mate.

But I don't think it will be for a player, more likely his chosen club's next years second-round pick.

I know that but I just don't want him traded for a plodder in a straight swap.

I think a lot of people here think all our blokes not getting a game are like the hacks we got rid of last year.

These guys have currency and demand and we will be delinquent if we just throw them away.

Could not believe the crap yesterday about Ahern. The kid was a star junior, got developed in year 1 and then did a knee and now people want to trade or rookie him.

I mean FFS.

I know that but I just don't want him traded for a plodder in a straight swap.

I think a lot of people here think all our blokes not getting a game are like the hacks we got rid of last year.

These guys have currency and demand and we will be delinquent if we just throw them away.

Could not believe the crap yesterday about Ahern. The kid was a star junior, got developed in year 1 and then did a knee and now people want to trade or rookie him.

I mean FFS.
Yeah the Ahern talk was a little off, I must say.

I don't think we'll see any players bought in during this trade period unless they are serious best 22, or good depth players. Do I see Longer as a good depth player? Nah, not really.

Do I have as much faith in our new team of Campbell and Cameron? Nah, not yet.

I don't think we'll see any players bought in during this trade period unless they are serious best 22, or good depth players. Do I see Longer as a good depth player? Nah, not really.

Do I have as much faith in our new team of Campbell and Cameron?
Nah, not yet.

I must say they do worry me. They have done nothing wrong yet here but the Richmond work was shabby. They need to be very careful in how they value our lads and if there are any home town calls like overpaying for Deledio it will be panic stations.

Will give them the benefit of the doubt, this off season will tell us a lot.

Do I have as much faith in our new team of Campbell and Cameron? Nah, not yet.

Wow, mods are on their game today.

I mean FFS.

Here's why I said rookie:

1) The rookie year gives you options. If the kid is performing at the level required at its end then you can promote him to the senior list for season 2018. If he is competitive he can push for selection.

2) We can't tell his relative value compared to the newer kids. As such I'd rather have him on a one year deal so that when you're weighing up opportunities and the like between him and say Bam Bam you can make a better choice.

3) Patton is different to Ahern. Patton was playing seniors when he did his second knee. He is a KPF. We do need to stand by Ahern (as we should stand by Pickett) but losing your second year to injury in a team where competition for spots is high is nowhere near meaning you're a required player. Should you be given an opportunity? Yes. Should it be for a standard two years? Not necessarily.

If you can sign him to a 12 month contract without needing to put him on the rookie list, then that might be a better outcome. I thought two years was standard for young players, but if it isn't I think an extra 12 months would be good.

As for potential as a junior... Tim Golds was going to set the world on fire. Still waiting...

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2016 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back