List Mgmt. 2016 Trade, Draft and free agency news (no hypothetical trades)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
All this BB talk has got me thinking and the trade for the big fella in 2013 is shaping up being a real loss for 2 reasons.
1. We missed Out on Billy Longer because we went for BB late instead of holding firm for longer, a bloke with atleast 8years in him and ready to launch (after a inj year this year). Saints did a real number on us here, knowing BBs body real well I reckon, well played.
We also ended up having Cegs step up who missed out on both Grannies but could have easily played and not have done much of a difference in role.
2. Cost us a first round pick, which if my memory serves me correct we were into Zac Merrett and could of had him (I could be talking garbage on that also) or even just Acres/Dunstan who they got would add something real nice to our future mid :( . Anyway please get to 100 games for us BB and we can have ya future kids!

All this BB talk has got me thinking and the trade for the big fella in 2013 is shaping up being a real loss for 2 reasons.
1. We missed Out on Billy Longer because we went for BB late instead of holding firm for longer, a bloke with atleast 8years in him and ready to launch (after a inj year this year). Saints did a real number on us here, knowing BBs body real well I reckon, well played.
We also ended up having Cegs step up who missed out on both Grannies but could have easily played and not have done much of a difference in role.
2. Cost us a first round pick, which if my memory serves me correct we were into Zac Merrett and could of had him (I could be talking garbage on that also) or even just Acres/Dunstan who they got would add something real nice to our future mid :( . Anyway please get to 100 games for us BB and we can have ya future kids!
Totally sucked. Got a ruck to do the job in two flags just when we needed it. Pure idiocy

And I don't even like BB that much as a player but getting him, Cegs and Hale during those years of flags was a materstroke and well worth every square cm of those flags

Totally sucked. Got a ruck to do the job in two flags just when we needed it. Pure idiocy

And I don't even like BB that much as a player but getting him, Cegs and Hale during those years of flags was a materstroke and well worth every square cm of those flags

Understand your post dude, it makes sense. BB was recruited for a reason and despite being in and out of the side for his first few years he served his role, we got flags to! But, if you pop down to Whitten Oval Sunday, Wade Skipper is running around in a GF for Hoppers Crossing, he to could have been a duel premiership player in our side.

I think the big Pitt is the future, I'm pretty excited about him. I'm also sure the club will be looking to add another ruckman, it's awfully strange that BB isn't signed at this time of the year.

Understand your post dude, it makes sense. BB was recruited for a reason and despite being in and out of the side for his first few years he served his role, we got flags to! But, if you pop down to Whitten Oval Sunday, Wade Skipper is running around in a GF for Hoppers Crossing, he to could have been a duel premiership player in our side.

I think the big Pitt is the future, I'm pretty excited about him. I'm also sure the club will be looking to add another ruckman, it's awfully strange that BB isn't signed at this time of the year.
I think BB did/does bring decent leadership to the club too. There is a "good bloke" aspect to the recruitment of BB. Not saying that Wayde is a shit bloke - but likely doesn't have the leadership nous of BB

But yeah - I like Pitts too. Surprised there isn't more of a buzz about him. It was weird seeing Hawthorn winning ruck contests over and over again

I think BB did/does bring decent leadership to the club too. There is a "good bloke" aspect to the recruitment of BB. Not saying that Wayde is a shit bloke - but likely doesn't have the leadership nous of BB

But yeah - I like Pitts too. Surprised there isn't more of a buzz about him. It was weird seeing Hawthorn winning ruck contests over and over again

It's just about doing it for longer with Pitt, he doesn't have the tank yet.. Certainly right though, quite a few times he jumped all over Grundy. Fwiw - in regards to the previous post regarding Longer, I think Pitt will be much better than Longer.

Would I change it - no, as would I not change recruiting Dew over Zaraharkis as we won flags in the subsequent year (although Dews GF impact over the next best was material compared to BB over Cegs). My post was focusing on that fact that Hale/Cegs/a Young Longer could of done the job in 14,15 and Longer now has more worth than BB.

Also note I said we may have be able to get acres/Dunstan but we would have had to give this pick up regardless to get longer, so we more lost the opportunity to get a late second (potentially G. Hewitt) for Savage.

Would I change it - no, as would I not change recruiting Dew over Zaraharkis as we won flags in the subsequent year (although Dews GF impact over the next best was material compared to BB over Cegs). My post was focusing on that fact that Hale/Cegs/a Young Longer could of done the job in 14,15 and Longer now has more worth than BB.

Also note I said we may have be able to get acres/Dunstan but we would have had to give this pick up regardless to get longer, so we more lost the opportunity to get a late second (potentially G. Hewitt) for Savage.

Zaharakis went in the next draft ? A bit off topic for the thread anyway...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really. We had no other ready made ruckman on the list after Bailey retired.

He has won 2 premierships with us. BB does the job, that Clarko asks of him.

I just don't see what the big deal is. Maybe thats because I just don't rate ruckman. But he provides a contest, and is big body that can stay on the field longer than most other ruckman. Ruckman is literally the last position that I would be looking to put a star player in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard a rumour from someone employed at another Victorian club a few weeks back that the AFL is permitting Essendon to exceed the salary cap next year as a means of mitigating the AFL and Essendon's potential compensation payouts to the banned players (and doing it in a more PR friendly way). I didn't pay it much thought and still think it is probably crap but since then they have signed Hurley on what I understand to be a monster contract and are now reportedly offering huge dollars to JOM.
I reckon this is precisely something the AFL would concoct with the Bummbers. Bank on it.

Caller to SEN (grain of salt) this morning said that Sydney are into Langford in a big way. Wouldn't be surprised to see him leave to be honest.

I reckon BB was a smart pickup by the hawks. I'm stoked we got him. We needed someone to stand up in finals and we still do. Not sure we would have a 3-peat without BB. Longer would have been similar to Pittonet. Just doesn't cut it. Win-Win trade that was. Saints got Savage and a young mid. we got a a very capable ruckman. Longer is rock on wheels

Caller to SEN (grain of salt) this morning said that Sydney are into Langford in a big way. Wouldn't be surprised to see him leave to be honest.

I'd say the caller has NFI.

Sydney don't need anymore inside mids despite losing Mitchell and I couldn't imagine Will being remotely interested in a move with his other brother likely to be a Hawk at the end of next year.

Not that there is anything wrong with that
05d.jpg

Where to callers to SEN rank in reliability? Currently I think it stands as:

Worst: Facebook/Twitter trade accounts
Pretty Awful: Bigfooty Chatter
Right 1.8% of the time: Damian Barrett 'scoops'.

Would SEN callers slide between Facebook/Twitter and Bigfooty?

Edit: Just thinking out aloud. Barrett does give everyone just a little bit of hope when you consider that he has the personality of a cardboard box, seldom gets it right at what he does for a living and yet he's pulling in a decent six-figure income.

Where to callers to SEN rank in reliability? Currently I think it stands as:

Worst: Facebook/Twitter trade accounts
Pretty Awful: Bigfooty Chatter
Right 1.8% of the time: Damian Barrett 'scoops'.

Would SEN callers slide between Facebook/Twitter and Bigfooty?

Edit: Just thinking out aloud. Barrett does give everyone just a little bit of hope when you consider that he has the personality of a cardboard box, seldom gets it right at what he does for a living and yet he's pulling in a decent six-figure income.
Would pretty much say they're all equal except for Journalists, who in theory should have contacts but probably just think player X would look good in club Y's colours and run with that.

I can see it being a big off-season for us though, feels like we could look back at this period in 7 or 8 years time and it'll have been a very successful recruiting/trading period or a disaster.

Na mate, that trade was a win. We needed a solid ruckman to fill the void and that's what we got in BB. He played a great finals series in both years and was more than servicable in both grand finals. Also, he knocked out Jetta. That alone was worth the trade.

I'd spew my guts if we lost another father son to Sydney. They seem to be building a solid team taking all our players, starting to annoy me. At least Cyril isn't going anywhere, not sure I could handle that to be honest.

I heard a rumour from someone employed at another Victorian club a few weeks back that the AFL is permitting Essendon to exceed the salary cap next year as a means of mitigating the AFL and Essendon's potential compensation payouts to the banned players (and doing it in a more PR friendly way). I didn't pay it much thought and still think it is probably crap but since then they have signed Hurley on what I understand to be a monster contract and are now reportedly offering huge dollars to JOM.

I'd believe that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back