List Mgmt. 2016 Trade/FA period is underway! The official thread (Check OP for official updates)

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah, if there are 9 positions in a squad Carlton rate the following:

Small Forwards: Extremely Poor
Medium Forwards: Extremely Poor
Big Forwards: Extremely Poor
Big Bodied Mid: Extremely Poor (just got worse)
Outside pace mid: Extremely Poor (just got worse)
Ruck stock: Poor
Big Bodied defenders: Poor
Medium Bodied Defenders: Average
Small Bodied/Running Defenders: Good

So Cheney would not be a target.

Here's a question for you. If you asked the average Carlton Bigfooty user what Crows player they would want, who would it be? And then who would you want? Assume that the ones not up for discussion are Tex, Sloane, Crouch x2, Lynch, Jacobs, Cameron, McGovern, Betts, JJ, Smith, Talia, Laird, Lever, Milera. I know that's almost half our list but that tends to happen when a player nominates a single club.

I'd be getting Rocky trade sorted for 2017 1st + CEY or whatever it takes while the Gibbs negotiations are ongoing (given that the mail was the lions were happy with 2016 13 + CEY). Limits carltons negotiating position too, like the cats with us last year.
Can see Gibbs dragging out till the end, but will get done.
Is crow1980 's mail of a medical for rocky legit? Anyone can back it up?

Nah, if there are 9 positions in a squad Carlton rate the following:

Big Bodied defenders: Poor

You're a hard marker - you've got Weitering and aren't you about to get Marchbank?

Also, would you take Jacobs back? Not sure he's an untouchable (in my mind)

just had a scan around the trade threads of other clubs who have been mentioned as being active. I think Hawthorn supporters the most delusional. Get JOM and Mitchell for scraps, and pick up a first rounder + change for Hill. Won't have to give up "any of our picks, or good players". (quote).

Nope - you have to have 2 first round picks in every four-year period. So if you've only had 1 in the last 3 years, you must use (at least) one this year.
I wonder how that works with our situation.

We used 2 last year so we're good for the next 3.

12 - Didn't use one
13 - Didn't use one
14 - 1 (Lever)
15 - 2 (Millera & Doedee)
Total = 3

If we went all in and traded it out each year for ready-made players, it could go.

13 - Didn't use one
14 - 1 (Lever)
16 - Traded out
Total = 3

14 - 1 (Lever)
16 - Traded out
17 - Traded out
Total = 3

16 - Traded out
17 - Traded out
18 - Traded out
Total = 2

We hadn't done anything wrong at that point. All completely fine, but would be required to use 2 first round picks in 2019.

A rare thumbs up for some much maligned media figures yesterday:
  • Wallace saying Tippett has delivered nothing near his contract and should be traded so they can afford Mitchell
  • Bickley saying Gibbs for 13 is absolutely worth it. 13 might have more value over the course of career but value of Gibbs when we need it (now) and when Carlton need it (later) makes it win-win. If we get stingy and walk away we just finish 6-10 yet again.

A rare thumbs up for some much maligned media figures yesterday:
  • Wallace saying Tippett has delivered nothing near his contract and should be traded so they can afford Mitchell
  • Bickley saying Gibbs for 13 is absolutely worth it. 13 might have more value over the course of career but value of Gibbs when we need it (now) and when Carlton need it (later) makes it win-win. If we get stingy and walk away we just finish 6-10 yet again.

Trading out tippet wont work for the same reason trading hartlett doesnt.

Either you end up covering too much of the salary or no one wants them

We hadn't done anything wrong at that point. All completely fine, but would be required to use 2 first round picks in 2019.
Exactly - it's another rule that the AFL didn't really think through.
What if every team decided to not trade with us (or any team in the same hypothetical situation)? We'd be unable to get a 2nd pick, but then what's the penalty? - I don't think that's been brought up at any stage.

Being the AFL, I'd imagine the penalty would be a loss of a first round draft pick the following year, which would result in breaking the rules again and the loss of the next year's pick (rinse and repeat) ;)

Here's a question for you. If you asked the average Carlton Bigfooty user what Crows player they would want, who would it be? And then who would you want? Assume that the ones not up for discussion are Tex, Sloane, Crouch x2, Lynch, Jacobs, Cameron, McGovern, Betts, JJ, Smith, Talia, Laird, Lever, Milera. I know that's almost half our list but that tends to happen when a player nominates a single club.
I know we're sitting in different camps, but when you say "player nominates a single club", I say "player is contracted for another 3 years and does not hate existing club and is only requesting for personally reasons. If a suitable trade cannot be completed, existing team and player can come to an agreement to stay".

But to answer your question, I don't know your bottom 6 players too well. Just to compare, I am not happy with Kerridge. Hard worker and all, but fumbles way way way too much. Kerridge is only a stop gap until anyone can replace him. Last year we were told by Adelaide fans how really good he is and cannot believe he isn't getting a game and how he will be one of our best players. Picking up another player in Kerridge ilk I would not be happy. I would rather getting another year with Gibbs.

You're a hard marker - you've got Weitering and aren't you about to get Marchbank?

Also, would you take Jacobs back? Not sure he's an untouchable (in my mind)
Weitering is the only reason why it's not very poor. We don't have Marchbank yet.

Yes, I would take Jacobs back. Loved him when we had him and hated the fact he didn't get more games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly - it's another rule that the AFL didn't really think through.
What if every team decided to not trade with us (or any team in the same hypothetical situation)? We'd be unable to get a 2nd pick, but then what's the penalty? - I don't think that's been brought up at any stage.
Yeah, I even know if it even allows for a penalty (though I'm sure the AFL could pull one out their behinds).

AFAIK, it is set up so that if you got to the point where one was dropping off the count, you would just be prevented from trading your first rounder (unless you brought another one in). SO I think they could stop us from trading the first in 2019 and then again in 2020, but for a year, we would have only used one in the 4-year period.

just had a scan around the trade threads of other clubs who have been mentioned as being active. I think Hawthorn supporters the most delusional. Get JOM and Mitchell for scraps, and pick up a first rounder + change for Hill. Won't have to give up "any of our picks, or good players". (quote).
13 + brad crouch for gibbs is pretty close to delusional

I know we're sitting in different camps, but when you say "player nominates a single club", I say "player is contracted for another 3 years and does not hate existing club and is only requesting for personally reasons. If a suitable trade cannot be completed, existing team and player can come to an agreement to stay".

But to answer your question, I don't know your bottom 6 players too well. Just to compare, I am not happy with Kerridge. Hard worker and all, but fumbles way way way too much. Kerridge is only a stop gap until anyone can replace him. Last year we were told by Adelaide fans how really good he is and cannot believe he isn't getting a game and how he will be one of our best players. Picking up another player in Kerridge ilk I would not be happy. I would rather getting another year with Gibbs.
You have to consider where your list is at though. Still a way from contending but rebuilding nicely. Guys like Kerridge and Lyons won't anchor a flag push but they can drive the car until you are ready.

13 + brad crouch for gibbs is pretty close to delusional

Oh i think it's way way way past delusional

It's so far away it just passed the Voyager spacecraft

I'd be getting Rocky trade sorted for 2017 1st + CEY or whatever it takes while the Gibbs negotiations are ongoing (given that the mail was the lions were happy with 2016 13 + CEY). Limits carltons negotiating position too, like the cats with us last year.
Can see Gibbs dragging out till the end, but will get done.
Is crow1980 's mail of a medical for rocky legit? Anyone can back it up?
Disregard that.

Why would we spend seven years developing a player, finally start to see the fruits of our labour then shop him around for a 2nd rounder in the hope that we pick up someone who would prove just as effective (but have to wait another few years just to start to get any return on that player)?

It makes no sense, we did the Vince trade because we were penalised with draft sanctions and had SFA early picks.

If Lyons goes, it won't be as a ticket back into the 2nd round, it will be as a ticket to another big ticket item or packaged to gain a much higher pick (ie. high 1st rounder) - or we really have lost the plot completely.

Why trade the only pure inside goalkicking mid we have on the list, when we need his type more than ever, makes absolutely no sense.

Agree with every point. We should only ship off Lyons if he's currency to get a big fish; not actually use his actual 'mid-high 2nd round' value pick.

Unfortunately they've become accustom to playing by a different set of rules. I remember Mick Malthouse saying he thought the FA/trade period was bias towards 3-4 specific clubs... He's not wrong

Last edited:
I think the difference between the average Carlton fan and Adelaide fan is we rate draft picks higher than they do. They've had endless high picks who turned into average players. Pick 13 to them is a very average pick. Adelaide, on the other hand, has been pick starved. Pick 13 is a very good pick for the crows as we have consistently knocked picks in that range out of the park for the last 6 - 8 years.

Good point. Tis certainly a nice feeling heading into trade week with a sense of relative confidence based around past performance re. who's in charge of list management...
Can imagine trade week for the Carltons and Melbournes of this world would elicit more trepidation than anything else.

MEGADEAL COMING!!!!

Unfortunately they've become accustom to playing by a different set of rules. I remember Mick Malthouse saying he thought the FA/trade period was bias towards 3-4 specific clubs... He's not wrong
what's the MEGADEAL?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2016 Trade/FA period is underway! The official thread (Check OP for official updates)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back