Resource 2017 AFL and AFLW Crowds and Ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone cares about crowds, the Australia v Syria got a very poor 42,136 to it- entire deck empty like 98% of NRL games.
Not a good look for a do or die World Cup qualifier..

But further proof if needed that the huge soccer crowds we see when the top European teams do their little spin through Asia/Australasia each year are event following phenomenon and not much else.

But further proof if needed that the huge soccer crowds we see when the top European teams do their little spin through Asia/Australasia each year are event following phenomenon and not much else.

Yeah WTF is that all about? How can you get 70k+ 2 nights in a row when Arsenal play some nothing practice match and when a critical WCQ comes to town get half that? I know Syria aren't exactly our traditional rivals, but who cares who you're playing in those circumstances? Even the theatregoers should appreciate the occasion.

Yeah WTF is that all about? How can you get 70k+ 2 nights in a row when Arsenal play some nothing practice match and when a critical WCQ comes to town get half that? I know Syria aren't exactly our traditional rivals, but who cares who you're playing in those circumstances? Even the theatregoers should appreciate the occasion.

I think a combo of the recent shit form and it being syria killed a lot of interest

Fact we are still alive is due to blind luck tbh

25,000 is a BIG crowd at the races is Sydney This new promotion will never rival the Spring carnival in Melbourne and it wont matter how much money they throw at it.

Sydney's much hyped Everest race at Randwick got 33,512 today. Article in The Age states that this was the highest crowd at Randwick since 50k went to the AJC Derby in 1996.

Suggests that most years the highest raceday crowd in Sydney would be behind at least 6 Melbourne days, and would be less than a quarter of highest Melbourne one. It's a big mountain to climb. (Pun unintended, but I left it in, so I am at fault.)

All I can make of it is that the big EPL teams ( plus a few European teams ) are regarded as part of the global entertainment industry or as I say are Hollywood and people turn out to see the apparent or alleged glamour.

Imagine the Arsenals and Chelseas laughing all the way to the bank at the idea of thicko hick Aussies packing a stadium to see reserves amble about in a training match and clearing the shelves of merchandise as they do.

Embarrassing but as I say its Hollywood.

All I can make of it is that the big EPL teams ( plus a few European teams ) are regarded as part of the global entertainment industry or as I say are Hollywood and people turn out to see the apparent or alleged glamour.

Imagine the Arsenals and Chelseas laughing all the way to the bank at the idea of thicko hick Aussies packing a stadium to see reserves amble about in a training match and clearing the shelves of merchandise as they do.

Embarrassing but as I say its Hollywood.

Actually, I think that a lot of Australians are highly invested in some of the big English clubs in particular and there are a larger number again that identify to some degree at least...arsenal would be number 3 and were playing in Australia for the first time in decades

I was actually on a plane to Sydney that weekend and a good 10% if the plane were arsenal fans....the ones I heard talking seemed to be talking about the footy though

Anyway, I suspect that if they came here every year they would not pull the same crowds....I think the "thicko hick Aussies" applies more to the state sports ministers who hand over millions to private soccer clubs based on discredited economics

Sydney's much hyped Everest race at Randwick got 33,512 today. Article in The Age states that this was the highest crowd at Randwick since 50k went to the AJC Derby in 1996.

Suggests that most years the highest raceday crowd in Sydney would be behind at least 6 Melbourne days, and would be less than a quarter of highest Melbourne one. It's a big mountain to climb. (Pun unintended, but I left it in, so I am at fault.)
Typical of Sydney trying to buy what Melbourne racing has in spades - Tradition and no amount of trashy glitz will ever beat the Spring racing in Melbourne!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The latest report on the Sydney stadium situation is they're doing the 'Eddie Maguire plan' AKA Joker-burning-a-pile-of-money.gif AKA knocking down stadiums and building new ones of top of them. They want to spend $2 billion knocking down Allianz and ANZ and rebuilding both of them.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...be-announced-on-thursday-20171016-gz1wau.html

Seems like a tremendous waste of money.
Yeah it does seem strange.

Under the proposal the new ANZ would have a significantly reduced capacity (70000). And the Allianz would have a slightly decreased capacity of 45000.

The thinking seems to be that putting a roof over a new ANZ stadium and briging in the boundries will see flocks of people want to go to the new ANZ. I highly doubt it.

As for demolishing allianz simply to put a new stadium of slighly increased capacity right over the top of it, well who knows what they are thinking.

Typical of Sydney trying to buy what Melbourne racing has in spades - Tradition and no amount of trashy glitz will ever beat the Spring racing in Melbourne!

Its a non event comparing Sydney & Melbourne in sports attendances, & a lot of other things too. I've lived & worked in both. They simply have a different lifestyle & mentality to such things.

Look at the crowds at the Sydney NYE celebration ( a million people), the start of the Sydney to Hobart, the Sydney Mardi Gras. Do Melbournites watch the start of a yacht race? No they dont. Do they swarm to the beaches like Sydney do?

Pointing at Sydney for not going to the NRL etc in the same numbers is irrelevant. Sydney has always been split between RL & RU. Sydney may say they have better things to do anyway. Maybe so.

We've all been brought up in the tribal mentality of Aussie Rules. That applied in Vic, WA, SA & in Tas. The AFL have squashed that in WA, SA & in Tas, but following the game still remains strong. Is it as strong as in the days of the VFL, SANFL, WAFL, TFL?? Maybe not.??

Its a non event comparing Sydney & Melbourne in sports attendances, & a lot of other things too. I've lived & worked in both. They simply have a different lifestyle & mentality to such things.

Look at the crowds at the Sydney NYE celebration ( a million people), the start of the Sydney to Hobart, the Sydney Mardi Gras. Do Melbournites watch the start of a yacht race? No they dont. Do they swarm to the beaches like Sydney do?

Pointing at Sydney for not going to the NRL etc in the same numbers is irrelevant. Sydney has always been split between RL & RU. Sydney may say they have better things to do anyway. Maybe so.

We've all been brought up in the tribal mentality of Aussie Rules. That applied in Vic, WA, SA & in Tas. The AFL have squashed that in WA, SA & in Tas, but following the game still remains strong. Is it as strong as in the days of the VFL, SANFL, WAFL, TFL?? Maybe not.??

I've always had to LMFAO at this 'argument', considering Melbourne has superior restaurants and bars, superior cafes/coffee (best in the world, in fact: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/travel/...e/news-story/d9552611037baa93c5378869872b340a), a superior arts scene, vastly superior live music scene, superior live comedy scene, superior parks and gardens...............

I've always had to LMFAO at this 'argument', considering Melbourne has superior restaurants and bars, superior cafes/coffee (best in the world, in fact: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/travel/...e/news-story/d9552611037baa93c5378869872b340a), a superior arts scene, vastly superior live music scene, superior live comedy scene, superior parks and gardens...............

LMFAO too.

Maybe you should visit Booking.com & look at the 'so called' Coffee survey the HUN sprouted to bright eyed & attentive & somewhat self impressed Melbournite cheer squaders.

Booking.com have an article on the 'so called' survey. hahahahaha!

Look, Melbourne is a great place for a visit. But stop pulling your pud over everything. You're just embarrassing yourselves in everyone's eyes. Sydney is Australia's prime city in the world's view. Sydney is an Alpha plus city. Melbourne is a level below. Their is a reason for that.

Melbourne's footy scene is fantastic. However it has swamped everyone elses local footy scene. Is that really that good for the game as a whole?? Boasting about it is tiny minded arrogance that is not a good look if indeed the city is that good & confident about itself.

I always thought Melbourne focused on Sydney too much. People in Sydney generally couldn't give a rats arse about Melbourne. I like both places for very different reasons. They are quite different. Just accept that & stop distressing yourselves over such things.

Making up coffee surveys for the uber defensive minded locals is really pathetic.

LMFAO too.

Maybe you should visit Booking.com & look at the 'so called' Coffee survey the HUN sprouted to bright eyed & attentive & somewhat self impressed Melbournite cheer squaders.

Booking.com have an article on the 'so called' survey. hahahahaha!

Look, Melbourne is a great place for a visit. But stop pulling your pud over everything. You're just embarrassing yourselves in everyone's eyes. Sydney is Australia's prime city in the world's view. Sydney is an Alpha plus city. Melbourne is a level below. Their is a reason for that.

Melbourne's footy scene is fantastic. However it has swamped everyone elses local footy scene. Is that really that good for the game as a whole?? Boasting about it is tiny minded arrogance that is not a good look if indeed the city is that good & confident about itself.

I always thought Melbourne focused on Sydney too much. People in Sydney generally couldn't give a rats arse about Melbourne. I like both places for very different reasons. They are quite different. Just accept that & stop distressing yourselves over such things.

Making up coffee surveys for the uber defensive minded locals is really pathetic.

We all know this is almost entirely because of Sydney Harbour and not much else. Sydney has more iconic landmarks than Melbourne, as for the rest, well I would have Melbourne ahead in most areas.

LMFAO too.

People in Sydney generally couldn't give a rats arse about Melbourne. I like both places for very different reasons.

What a load of crap Ive been to Sydney from the 1970s many times and you dont have to wait long for the locals to put shit on Melbourne.I always find the people to be rude and not welcoming as well.

I dont mind Sydney for a short holiday so long as Im at Manly or near the Harbour anywhere else is very ordinary indeed.
Why do you think Melbournes share of International visitors has skyrocketed over the last ten years and why is interstate and international migration booming?

We all know this is almost entirely because of Sydney Harbour and not much else. Sydney has more iconic landmarks than Melbourne, as for the rest, well I would have Melbourne ahead in most areas.

Maybe you should look at the list of Australia's top 10 most popular & most visited attractions. Like the Opera House, SHB, Bondi beach, Blue mountains. Sydney area has a lot more than Melbourne in it. Sydney is Australia's biggest airport by passenger movements for a reason.

I think you should visit more places than just the MCG & Etihad. You'll get a better perspective on Australia.

Maybe you should look at the list of Australia's top 10 most popular & most visited attractions. Like the Opera House, SHB, Bondi beach, Blue mountains. Sydney area has a lot more than Melbourne in it. Sydney is Australia's biggest airport by passenger movements for a reason.

I think you should visit more places than just the MCG & Etihad. You'll get a better perspective on Australia.
No need for the cheap shot. The only state I haven't been to is SA and I'm not commenting on that.

I already conceded Sydney had the better landmarks, hence why it gets more visitors, especially international. Beaches is the other thing that Sydney has over Melbourne. The rest, well it's my firm belief that Melbourne is better.

No need for the cheap shot. The only state I haven't been to is SA and I'm not commenting on that.

I already conceded Sydney had the better landmarks, hence why it gets more visitors, especially international. Beaches is the other thing that Sydney has over Melbourne. The rest, well it's my firm belief that Melbourne is better.

Cheap shot maybe. But isn't that the point. Pumping up one tires over things like a bogus coffee survey, printed in the HUN, is pretty pathetic for a confident big city.

The world doesn't revolve around Melbourne, nor Australia. Sure Its the centre of our football, thats the fact. Melbourne is a great place, but all places have some good/great things. That applies all over this great country, even Adelaide, Coonawarra & Barossa which I love. Great places. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back