Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Noah Balta

• Aiden Bonar

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

A year for the mathematician re possible combination out of a likely seven. What two suits our side right now? Were we going a mid before the pick 2 scenario came up? Will we change from our target player/s for pick 5 before we also got pick 2? Will we be faithful to automatically replacing a Weller type mid - would it be Dow? Or will the opportunity to rearrange things be taken up?

2. Still Rayner or LDU for me - and 5 either of those if they are there still and if not, in order of these being there at 5 = Dow, Fogarty, Cerra
Yeah the club will have all of the possible scenarios programmed. They certainly won't be sitting there with a slide rule, a bag of fortune cookies, and a dart board.

On the RTD podcast, Cal said he can't see Freo taking Fogarty at 5. He said Freo might look at Naughton but reading between the lines, it sort of sounded like Freo really like Brayshaw.

No real amount of Freo questions were asked, just stupid idiot questions from Carlton and Crow fans.

I still think it will go:

1. Rayner
2. LDU
3. Dow
4. Cerra
5. Brayshaw

Edit: I really like Brayshaw, Fogarty and Stephenson. I think legitimate questions will need to be asked of Lloyd if he passes on those three.
Just had a listen to the RTD podcast too. Reading out tweets for 44 minutes, top shelf episode!
My key take outs:
Rayner has started following Carlton on Instagram and is liking lots of their posts (he doesn't follow Freo or Brisbane). Make of that what you will, but I think the writing is on the wall.
Cal thinks Fogarty is a good chance to slide to pick 12 for the Crows. He also doesn't think Fog will play much next year and will need to spend more time getting his tank up (?!)
Brayshaw was name dropped several times in the podcast around the pick 2 mark (even mentioned by Cal as a future brownlow medalist). I can't see Brayshaw going that early myself and do wonder if Twomey is still high from the Melbourne Cup....

On SM-N920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just had a listen to the RTD podcast too. Reading out tweets for 44 minutes, top shelf episode!
My key take outs:
Rayner has started following Carlton on Instagram and is liking lots of their posts (he doesn't follow Freo or Brisbane). Make of that what you will, but I think the writing is on the wall.
Cal thinks Fogarty is a good chance to slide to pick 12 for the Crows. He also doesn't think Fog will play much next year and will need to spend more time getting his tank up (?!)
Brayshaw was name dropped several times in the podcast around the pick 2 mark (even mentioned by Cal as a future brownlow medalist). I can't see Brayshaw going that early myself and do wonder if Twomey is still high from the Melbourne Cup....

Rayner following Carlton means **** all. I can tell you now that teams do not tell draftees they will be taking them.

Rayner is the best player in the draft and you take them flight risk or not.

If we took LDU I would prefer either Stephenson or Fogarty at 5 over Brayshaw. If we magically got Rayner at 2, I would be happy with Brayshaw.

Yeah I agree with you, but I still think Freo will go Mid/Mid. I think that is a massive mistake though. I could understand why we would take Brayshaw but we need a replacement for Kersten.

Just a heads up, the draft goes forever! About 40 minutes into the draft and if we're lucky, the top 10 will be completed.

On that schedule after about 20 minutes we should know the identity of #2 & #5. Sounds like instant gratification to me compared with the endless hours devoted to the same subject on these pages. But this is all we have until then so I expect another 50 pages on here at least before the draft.

Yeah a mate of my older brothers uber driver reckons he picked up Rayner from Ikon Park the other day and he was whistling 'we are the navy blues' the whole ride home. 4 stars

Sounds like he has shit taste in music. If SOS was smart he would grab a mid to replace Cripps. But he isn't, hence why Carlton are a case study into why Cronyism doesn't work.

I don't know the story behind that beep test but I know he's definitely a hard trainer
yeah for me personally , the whole beep test scenario in regards to Rayner doesn't say to me anything about attitude or poor training, it tells me he just isn't naturally fit. That doesn't mean he can't get to the required level at some point. It sucks because had that test been like a 13 or 14 it wouldn't be no where near as much of an issue and he would be the consensus number 1 (maybe its a blessing for us on second thought:D) however i know that Freo in particular don't draft players at high picks who are unfit so I am not letting myself think of Rayner as an option. If however the club decides to draft him i will be over the moon, i just don't think its likely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The most like for like replacement of Weller, is probably Brayshaw at 5. whether we do that or not is the $64 question.
Except that most believe pick 2 was way overs for Weller, so maybe Brayshaw is closer in worth to what Weller probably “should” have gone for: pick 20
Maybe I just under rate Brayshaw too much.

From 7 there are 21 possible combinations that Freo could hope to choose.

Taking into account the choices of the other clubs there are 42 possible permutations of 2 selections from those 7 players.

Good stuff, love it:thumbsu:....so what odds are you offering for our quinella being LDU and Brayshaw or Rayner and Fogarty or Dow and Cerra

Yeah a mate of my older brothers uber driver reckons he picked up Rayner from Ikon Park the other day and he was whistling 'we are the navy blues' the whole ride home. 4 stars

you must admit, whistling Freo way to go is not as "melodius" as We are the old time navy blue" (whistling that is). Always wanted us to have Rock n Roll Rock - Glitter band but with Freo lyrics.

Have just heard a solid rumour that all but one of the top 15 prospects has followed every AFL club except Carlton on Twitter and Instagram. The only one that has is now feeling immense peer pressure from the others after they continually tell him he'll be throwing his football career away playing for that shit side. Could get ugly come draft day.

Have just heard a solid rumour that all but one of the top 15 prospects has followed every AFL club except Carlton on Twitter and Instagram. The only one that has is now feeling immense peer pressure from the others after they continually tell him he'll be throwing his football career away playing for that shit side. Could get ugly come draft day.

do we need to add to it, stoke it up a bit. Suppose their quest for a full team of first round pics is coming back to bite them... tra la la

Weller, isn't really an inside midfielder, with contested possession % of 23% this year, more of an outside midfielder.

So definitely Dow is not similar, his contested number are > 55%.
We are comparing Brayshaw and Dow as potential like for like for Weller. I think it is much of a much-ness with those two. But again, I don't see the club chasing a like for like. I would definitely prefer Dow. Seems a bit bigger and more powerful and I like his breakaway ability from stoppages.

How come no one has considered a Freo smokie....surely there is one? Houlahan (only thirty rows back), or the marking machine Taylor (surprised we hav'nt talked more about him)?

Listening to the new Road to the Draft podcast, seems like Brayshaw is really firming to be selected top 5. Twomey sounds like he is expecting Fogarty to slide to at least pick 10.

LDU and Brayshaw would set up our midfield for the next 10 years. Both also probably not seen as flight risks.

Perhaps our selection criteria should follow Amazon's Jeff Bezos (highly successful and good at getting highly successful people).

Bezos looks for people who strive to deliver the best results and are willing to make difficult choices to get there. In his words, it's about being "right."

When Welch surmised that meant he wanted the people with the highest IQs, Bezos clarified.

"'I don't care how smart they are,'" she recalls the Amazon founder saying. "'I want to see a track record of hard decisions that ended up being right.'"

"'It's always better in business to be right than smart,'" Bezos continued. "'Smart people can be wrong a lot.'"
The most successful people aren't necessarily the ones who are the quickest thinkers or the most well-read. They're the ones who focus on delivering the best results and making the tough calls that turn out to be right in the end.

In other words, focus less on your input and more on your output.

Reminds me of Dustin Martins philosophy on footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Live Event 2017 AFL Draft - #2, #5, #42, #60, #66, #70, #77, #80, #90

Back