Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Noah Balta

• Aiden Bonar

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It got us real close in 2013 but can't help but feel it works better if you do have areal threats as well. Hopefully Tabs can do his bit.

Not that Freo usually makes noise but there is certainly nothing positive out there about Fogarty from us. In fact I think the only clubs he has been linked to in the top 10 are Carlton and Collingwood.

The more I read the more I get the feeling because he’s 192cm bull from SA, Freo purple glasses people are blinded as he is the second coming of Pav

The more I read the more I get the feeling because he’s 192cm bull from SA people are blinded by the second coming of Pav
It is a bit romantic and in all fairness it is not impossible that he becomes the best player from the draft so I understand the love (and have some myself).

Certainly enjoy his kicking and sidestep. I am not as taken with him as a KPF (1st or 2nd) as some others but think if he gets a tank and learns to find more of the ball he will be a beast.

The more I read the more I get the feeling because he’s 192cm bull from SA, Freo purple glasses people are blinded as he is the second coming of Pav

And what's wrong with that ?

Bloke was touted as a possible pick #1 before his injury, is a super talented player with the ability to play anywhere. Add to that he is a ****teenth off being a true KPP

Now tell me why we shouldn't draft him at # 5

It is a bit romantic and in all fairness it is not impossible that he becomes the best player from the draft so I understand the love (and have some myself).

Certainly enjoy his kicking and sidestep. I am not as taken with him as a KPF (1st or 2nd) as some others but think if he gets a tank and learns to find more of the ball he will be a beast.
My concern with Fogarty would be how much more he can step it up? Has he got more growth and improvement in him or is he simply a man-child that's been playing against boys?

I really liked Ryan Burton a couple of years ago, real similar story to Fogarty.
Had a terrible broken leg as an 17/18 year old and really slid in the draft - now look at him - he's a jet.
He was a mature body kid, a great forward that played half back last year for Hawthorn.
He will move into the middle the next year or two and have stints forward and back, he is a very complete footballer.
If we miss Fogarty I believe it could be a mistake given his size, hunger for the contest and his well above average disposal.
Also played SANFL, gee we talk up Naughton - this fella is pretty special.

LDU Rayner 1 and 2 in that order.

If we got LDU and Brayshaw.. happy days.

So this was my amended vote after seeing Brayshaw's highlights package, but seeing Brayshaw and Stephenson's respective performances on the big stage in the GF curtain raiser, I am contemplating our needs vs the contingent of players who will still be available at pick 5. Obviously my preference overall is to get LDU because I'm a massive fan and I think he'd play pretty early. But if he isn't there at 2, this is how I hope it pans out:

Now assuming Brissy don't take Stephenson at 1 (remembering that he grew up a Lions supporter) we have the ability to replace our meagre high half forward stocks (whilst also complimenting our midfield) with a genuine game-changer at 2. Then at 5 we take the true mid (one of Cerra or Dow) to supplement our inside mid stocks. This way we satisfy our "best available" and "needs" based recruitment strategies.

And what's wrong with that ?

Bloke was touted as a possible pick #1 before his injury, is a super talented player with the ability to play anywhere. Add to that he is a ****teenth off being a true KPP

Now tell me why we shouldn't draft him at # 5

Was all those things when he was sixteen - only sixteen. Ah those days Dr Hook and the Medicine Gang.
Thing is does anyone know for sure if we are looking at Fogs?

My concern with Fogarty would be how much more he can step it up? Has he got more growth and improvement in him or is he simply a man-child that's been playing against boys?
I personally reject the manchild argument simply because if you watch his highlights it is not his greatest strength. Sure he uses it to his advantage and that is a good thing but his evasion, disposal and versatility are what defines him.

So I don't think it is a legitimate knock on him going into the draft. The knock IMO is that he isn't big enough to be a true KPF at AFL level and he hasn't demonstrated the ball winning capability and tank of a midfielder.

IMO if he gets the midfield tools required he'll be in the best few players from this draft easily IMO.
I really liked Ryan Burton a couple of years ago, real similar story to Fogarty.
Had a terrible broken leg as an 17/18 year old and really slid in the draft - now look at him - he's a jet.
He was a mature body kid, a great forward that played half back last year for Hawthorn.
He will move into the middle the next year or two and have stints forward and back, he is a very complete footballer.
If we miss Fogarty I believe it could be a mistake given his size, hunger for the contest and his well above average disposal.
Reasonable comparison for sure. I think Fogarty's power could set him apart if he can learn to make use of it at AFL level.

can't see us going past him if he ticks all the boxes for Recruiters and Ross. (within reason)

Thing is does anyone know for sure if we are looking at Fogs?
Doubt it. But I would be genuinely surprised if anyone (outside the club) knows for sure about any of the top prospects. The club is incredibly quiet to the media about their thinking. We have interviewed Fogarty, and multiple times but that would likely be true of all the top prospects.

I'm expecting to be surprised come draft day, like I am every year but I don't expect our first two picks to be that surprising (I can't see it not being two of the 10 or so prospects we've been talking about for 160 pages).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Burton is not similar to Fogarty.
Fogarty played with a injury to his meniscus in later in his draft year, Burton did not play at all. Also Burton was not a man child, just a regular size medium forward for an 18 year old.
The only thing they have in common, other than being South Australian, is playing predominantly forward.

My point is he’s not Matthew Pavlich

You never said that though

You stated that because he is from SA and 192cm people think he is the second coming of Pav

Most think he could possibly cover the hole left by Pav

A beast of a player who can play anywhere

Ha!
Here are the ones that I seen play, just off the top of my head, let alone the 100 years of first class cricket before that:
Jamie Siddons
Jamie Cox
Michael Di Venuto
Jimmy Maher
Michael Klinger
David Hussey
Mark Cosgrove
Dan Marsh
Dean Hills
Damien Wright
James Hopes
Dirk Tazelaar
Ashley Noffke
Mathew Inness
Luke Butterworth
Micheal Hogan

Ha!
Here are the ones that I seen play, just off the top of my head, let alone the 100 years of first class cricket before that:
Jamie Siddons
Jamie Cox
Michael Di Venuto
Jimmy Maher
Michael Klinger
David Hussey
Mark Cosgrove
Dan Marsh
Dean Hills
Damien Wright
James Hopes
Dirk Tazelaar
Ashley Noffke
Mathew Inness
Luke Butterworth
Micheal Hogan
HOWZAT! related to picks 2&5. Cmon... as if it’s not bad enough cricket is taking over the footy section of the paper... surely it doesn’t have to take over bf too :p

(Brayshaw at 5 for me)

Remove this Banner Ad

Live Event 2017 AFL Draft - #2, #5, #42, #60, #66, #70, #77, #80, #90

Back