Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Noah Balta

• Aiden Bonar

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Just finished watching all of Fogarty's highlights again.

It hurts, for after initially declaring strongly in favour of Cerra I now feel compelled to change my vote* and declare Fogarty fifth after Dow, LDU, Raynor and Stephenson in that order, with Cerra fading in the straight and Brayshaw flashing home impressively.

In my defence a very, very tight photo-finish.

*Which may happen 30-40 times between now and November 24th given you could throw a blanket over the top 7 finishers.

IMO players like Brayshaw, Dow, LDU are the safe bets and Rayner, Fogarty and Stephenson have higher ceilings but could also not live up to their potential due to either endurance, fitness or disposal (respectively).

We have the opportunity to hedge our bets and take one of each it just comes down to do we take the best 'safe bet' at 2 and whatever 'higher ceiling' player at 5 or vice versa.

Almost tank-worthy?!!
The Eagles picked a great time to 'rebuild' - strong contenders for the spoon. Rankine would've been really handy but they traded their 2018 first round pick!!! Could their be a sweeter thing than Eagles getting the spoon and missing out on Pick 1 in the Superdraft?!

On SM-N920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Eagles picked a great time to 'rebuild' - strong contenders for the spoon. Rankine would've been really handy but they traded their 2018 first round pick!!! Could their be a sweeter thing than Eagles getting the spoon and missing out on Pick 1 in the Superdraft?!

On SM-N920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Imagine if Rankine slips a little next year and is picked around pick 3 or 4, and the Eagles gave it up so they could get a second round plodder this year

If there was a way to bank picks for the following year we would see how much next year's group ranked compared to this year.

Say if the AFL allowed a club to bank pick #5, our pick this season moves to being #5 in 2018 and whichever club finishes lower next year gets to have #5, the higher ranked team is pushed back to #6.

The existing rules on trading picks could apply to banking it too, either your first and none other or all others but your first plus you have to use 2 firsts in a four year window.

Ultimate Draft for Freo

Pick 2:
Luke Davies-Uniacke (Dandenong Stingrays).
Complete package. Adds class and skill to the midfield. Really well balanced and worthy of a Pick 2.
Plays like: Shaun McMannus (before his injury)

Pick 5:
Darcy Fogarty (or Jarrod Brander)
Whoever we pick at 5 needs to be someone who can go forward and who marks well. Fogarty and Brander both fit the bill. Would slightly favour Fogarty at this stage though.
Plays like: Pav.. but will never be a living legend and immortal.

Pick 42:
Brandon Starcevich (East Perth)
If available at 42 would be mad not to take the home-grown talent. Bit of a raging bull from what I hear. Will add some grunt to the mids.
Plays like: Haze.. but faster.. and not as good with his hands.

Pick 60:
Jake Patmore (Claremont)
The kid from Claremont seriously wants to play AFL. Has the tools and would make an excellent addition to the midfield depth. Has great vision, reads the ball well and is great around stoppages.
Plays like: Lachie Weller... but won't leave.

Pick 66:
Bailey Banfield (Claremont)
I'm very (very) keen on this kid. His rate of improvement this year was remarkable. At 188cm and 87ks, would be right to go Round 1. Goal kicking mid - very clever.
plays like: Steven Hill.. but a bit slower.

Pick 77:
Patrick Farrant (Swan Districts)
Uber-skillful, high-flying, excitement machine. Forget Liam Ryan - get this guy.
Plays like: Jeff Farmer... but taller

Rookies: Callun England, Jonothan Marsh, Jarrod Garlett and a ruckman.

Ultimate Draft for Freo

Pick 2:
Complete package. Adds class and skill to the midfield. Really well balanced and worthy of a Pick 2.

Pick 5:
Whoever we pick at 5 needs to be someone who can go forward and who marks well. Fogarty and Brander both fit the bill. Would slightly favour Fogarty at this stage though.

Pick 42:
If available at 42 would be mad not to take the home-grown talent. Bit of a raging bull from what I hear. Will add some grunt to the mids.

Pick 60:
Jake Patmore (Claremont)
The kid from Claremont seriously wants to play AFL. Has the tools and would make an excellent addition to the midfield depth. Has great vision, reads the ball well and is great around stoppages.

Pick 66:
I'm very (very) keen on this kid. His rate of improvement this year was remarkable. At 188cm and 87ks, would be right to go Round 1. Goal kicking mid - very clever.

Pick 77:
Uber-skillful, high-flying, excitement machine. Forget Liam Ryan - get this guy.

The later pick very WA and Peel Focus .

was just thinking that for the next stage of the Freo rebuild, 2018 should be tankin for Rankine
I said at the start of this year that we should tank for Rayner, and then we tanked and now everyone's like "nooooo lets take vanilla WA players and all the FBs". So even if Freo did tank, no one on BF will want him by next year's draft anyway.

I said at the start of this year that we should tank for Rayner, and then we tanked and now everyone's like "nooooo lets take vanilla WA players and all the FBs". So even if Freo did tank, no one on BF will want him by next year's draft anyway.
... Pretty much the Bigfooty circle of life.

That top 3 guy is a jet! Too bad he won't be anywhere near our pick. Hopefully he spuds it up at the U18 championships and we can pinch the steal of the draft!

[Fast forward 6 months and exactly that has happened]

"Hmmm nah, he had a terrible carnival. He just didn't do what I expected him to do, his [insert disposal/tank/awareness/take your pick] just wasn't up to scratch, do not want."

Hold on a minute let's tank 2018 for Rankine, do you reckon we'll just pick ourselves up and play finals in 2019 how long is this rebuild again .

Would need to finish at least bottom 4 to have a chance to pick up Rankine, i would guess if we finish bottom 4 next year Lyon would be sacked, ffs we should be aiming to play finals in 2018.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Likely scenario is Gold Coast get both Rankine and Lukosius using their 1st rounder and West Coast's 1st rounder :D And then two years later the other 17 clubs are all salivating at the prospect of poaching them. What we really need to is to pick Weller v2 (in this or next year's draft) so we have the most valuable thing GC want again.

You might be reading the poll upside down...
Have another go

I just can't get my head around how WA could perform so well in the under 18's but when it gets to draft time everyone gets addicted to TAC

Why ?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think Starcevich and Taylor will go much higher than many have them pegged at. Interesting that so many here want Naughton at 5 because of strong champs and good WAFL form and yet Taylor can't get a mention despite similar (albeit not quite as good).

Ultimate Draft for Freo

Pick 2:

Pick 5:

Pick 42:

Pick 60:
Jake Patmore (Claremont)

Pick 66:

Pick 77:

With his back half of the year in no way is Brander part of our "ultimate draft" (coming from someone who was massive on him after the champs). Brander at 42 would be though.
Hold on a minute let's tank 2018 for Rankine, do you reckon we'll just pick ourselves up and play finals in 2019 how long is this rebuild again .

Would need to finish at least bottom 4 to have a chance to pick up Rankine, i would guess if we finish bottom 4 next year Lyon would be sacked, ffs we should be aiming to play finals in 2018.
I'll bet you your guess is wrong. There is nothing going into this season that says we are final contenders beyond a competitive B22. We had ZERO depth this year and just delisted some of it to be replaced by 18yo kids. We aint getting significantly better without an absolute dream run with injury.

I think Starcevich and Taylor will go much higher than many have them pegged at. Interesting that so many here want Naughton at 5 because of strong champs and good WAFL form and yet Taylor can't get a mention despite similar (albeit not quite as good).

A few did mention Taylor , just don't think many predict he will last until pick 42.

With his back half of the year in no way is Brander part of our "ultimate draft" (coming from someone who was massive on him after the champs). Brander at 42 would be though.

I'll bet you your guess is wrong. There is nothing going into this season that says we are final contenders beyond a competitive B22. We had ZERO depth this year and just delisted some of it to be replaced by 18yo kids. We aint getting significantly better without an absolute dream run with injury.

Rubbish if we keep our best 22 on the park there is no reason we can't play finals, don't know about you but I expect Freo to be challenging for the eight if not at least 10 wins, to finish bottom 4 would be a disaster.

When do you expect Freo to be playing finals? I'd be willing to bet the coach and the club would expect a big improvement on last year.

Forward line is still shit. Our depth is kids. #2 and #5 will be first year players. We ain't playing finals bro.

Remove this Banner Ad

Live Event 2017 AFL Draft - #2, #5, #42, #60, #66, #70, #77, #80, #90

Back