Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Noah Balta

• Aiden Bonar

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok, tell me which first year this year has done more as a KPF than Cox?

Oh ok, so now you're only talking about players from this year.

Most teams don't play their first year draftees because they aren't at the bottom of the ladder.

I'll get excited about Cox as a forward when he starts regularly kicking goals. At present he's spending very little time playing as a forward.

Oh ok, so now you're only talking about players from this year.

Most teams don't play their first year draftees because they aren't at the bottom of the ladder.

I'll get excited about Cox as a forward when he starts regularly kicking goals. At present he's spending very little time playing as a forward.
22 possesions (20% of total possessions) inside the F50.
56% possessions forward of centre.

The fact that he is working so much around the ground makes his 8 marks inside 50 quite impressive for a 1st year forward. Especially when you consider that we have been smashed in quite a few if those games. Not much opportunity for forwards.

I think he's tracking nicely. No one is saying anything else than that. Not sure why you're getting so worked up.
Screenshot_20170825-120403.png

The leading patterns will come. The impressive thing is his hands. Even if his leading patterns are off he generally can out mark his opposition. His ability to take a mark this year remind me of Fyfe. It just sticks like glue to his mitts.

2 goals is not the way to look at him. 14 shots at goal From 9 games is way better. He Would have had little training this year on his goal kicking and probably minimal work with the forwards on leading patterns.

Also remember the kid has been chopping out in the ruck so his levels of fatigue particularly for a first year KPP would be far higher than average.

Jack had Richo up front when he started. Imagine how much pressure would be off Cox if we had pav.

He will be a solid tall forward for us.

The fact that he is working so much around the ground makes his 8 marks inside 50 quite impressive for a 1st year forward. Especially when you consider that we have been smashed in quite a few if those games. Not much opportunity for forwards.

I think he's tracking nicely. No one is saying anything else than that. Not sure why you're getting so worked up.
View attachment 407713

It's not me getting worked up brah. I said he's "not setting the world on fire" and everyone lost their minds.

My point is that it's not easy to turn a defender into a forward, and therefore we shouldn't be drafting key defenders when we need a key forward. Then you've got half a dozen people trying to claim that Cox is the next Wayne Carey and trying to use that as a justification for drafting Naughton because he plays for Peel.

It would be a huge mistake for us to use pick 5 on a defender when we already have 5 key defenders on our list. The only situation where it would make sense for us to draft Naughton is if Adelaide (who are losing Lever) were willing to accept Cox or Pearce as a trade for McGovern.

View attachment 407713
I really wish we would get some kicking coaches down at the club. If this kid could kick for goal properly he may go a long way to solving some of our issues in our forward line. He likes a grab that's for sure. The thing that lets him down and stops me from getting half a chubby is his kicking action. If we can rectify his kicking we'd have a player on our hands I reckon.

Mate you sit their masturbating over Taberner.

Here we have a kid who has better stats than Jack Reiwoldt in his first year in a side that's a basket case (and **** me if you don't love stats), and he's nothing to wrote home about.

If he had better stats in the goals column I'd be more impressed. As I said, he's not really playing as a deep forward as the heat map posted by Unique Name shows. Anyone will have better stats playing in the middle of the ground than in the forward line.

Note that I have never said he isn't a good player. I just think it's yet to be seen that he will develop into a good key forward. Key forward is the hardest position to play in the game which is why they are so valuable.

It's not me getting worked up brah. I said he's "not setting the world on fire" and everyone lost their minds.

My point is that it's not easy to turn a defender into a forward, and therefore we shouldn't be drafting key defenders when we need a key forward. Then you've got half a dozen people trying to claim that Cox is the next Wayne Carey and trying to use that as a justification for drafting Naughton because he plays for Peel.

It would be a huge mistake for us to use pick 5 on a defender when we already have 5 key defenders on our list.
I believe Cox has been a forward for all but 1 year in his football life when he went back to cover injury.

Also don't think anyone has said he's looking like Carey-MKII. All that's been said is that his contested marking, marks inside 50 are very good for a 1st year player. But he needs to work on his setshots.

I don't think anyone is actually disagreeing with anyone here.

I don't think anyone is actually disagreeing with anyone here.

I'm certainly disagreeing with the people who think we should take Naughton because they think he'll be a key forward.

I also think a lot of people have forgotten about Alex Pearce when they talk about drafting Naughton. Next season our KPD roster will be: Pearce, Hamling, Cox, Collins, Logue and Uebergang. Even if you consider Cox to be a forward that's still 5 key defenders on our roster.

Spending pick 5 on another one seems like madness to me. And I don't think this conversation would be happening if he played for any team other than Peel.

My preference of what to do with pick 5 as follows:

1. Trade it for Hogan
2. Draft Brander
3. Draft best available mid
99. Draft another key defender

So once again disagreeing with nobody really because nobody has said that. I think conversing with a 4yo may be easier than discussing something with you.

Reporting you for trolling would be easier than discussing things with you, since you can't even handle the slightest of disagreements before resorting to personal attacks.

Righteo Allikat pretty sick of this shit to be honest, about time someone nipped it in the bud before it escalates again.

So once again disagreeing with nobody really because nobody has said that.

Guess I must have completely misunderstood this post then:

Brennan Cox - u18s 2016 All Australian CHB - now playing forward.
Aaron Naughton - u18s 2017 All Australian CHB - will play... ?

Seems very much like you are suggesting that Naughton could play forward because Cox did.

This is the 2nd time in a page worth of posts where you've claimed not to have said the things you actually did say.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally... I'd trade pick 5 and another pick (2018 first) for Hogan. Then trade Balic for a second rounder to get McGovern... Yeh, I know. I'm dreaming! :)

Id happily give up this years 1st and next years 2nd but it has to be to solve a need. Focussing on WA boys.
It must involve a scenario from below:

Hogan to Freo
Wilson, Lobb and McGovern to Freo
Swap with Richmond for 13 and 16 (Brander or Mid for Richmond. We could land Naughton (or Balta) plus Allen.

Pick 5 alone I would do below:
Swap with Bulldogs for English, pick 26ish

Reporting you for trolling would be easier than discussing things with you, since you can't even handle the slightest of disagreements before resorting to personal attacks.

Righteo Allikat pretty sick of this shit to be honest, about time someone nipped it in the bud before it escalates again.

Are you having a shit day or something? You seem extremely argumentative and defensive. Try to Relax!

Yes I'm the one who entered this discussion and turned it to **** :rolleyes: Agree, let's get rid of those that are inflaming situations :)

You're the one who can't have a discussion without resorting to personal attacks.

Disagreeing with you isn't against the rules, and it doesn't matter how much you disagree with my opinion, you don't have the right to personally attack me for posting it. Just play the ball and not the man and you'll be fine.

If having someone disagree with you makes you so angry that you can't help making personal attacks, stay off the internet.

Ill disagree with Ydraw on a lot of things but he is never the first one to throw an insult and its kind of stupid we cant continue the civil conversation we were having nicely. Ydraw also always provides reasoning (even if I think his reasoning is stupid a lot of the time) so equating him to a 4 year old after he created a calm rational post is a bit ironic and totally uncalled for

Can you point us all to the rational part? The bit where he said I said something that someone else said? Or the part where he said we were getting carried away? Or the several other posts where he quoted part of a post to get it out of context just to argue? 2 or 3 other people called him out about being argumentative for no reason. But yes very calm and rational. I'll put him on ignore finally and then can we get back to the useful conversations prior to his arrival?

Hey salim malik Chris25

To get this thread back on track I want to ask you - who cares where Brander and Naughton have been playing. Let's throw the role comparisons and stats between them out of the window. A KPP is a KPP at the end of the day. No one knows for sure where they will be as a player in 4-5 years time. What I want to know is who do you think would be able to do the following better based on how you've judged them so far as a player or person:

1. Develop effectively and in appropriate time under a Ross Lyon system
2. Will be able to naturally fit into the side without their current ability being hindered or interrupted as much / or at all in our structure

AND

Who has the smaller room for improvement.

I think these are the more important things to be considered if Pick 5 was used on one of them.

I was in the camp of taking the best available midfielder for the longest time although the names of the players and families that I'm hearing Fremantle have started talking to I don't think that's going to be as likely anymore so I want to hear the more prediction based thoughts of these guys.

Last edited:
What happen to this thread? salim malik and I were having our weekly Naughton Vs Brander debate and it got all Cox, Tabs and angry...

Brennan Cox - u18s 2016 All Australian CHB - now playing forward.
Aaron Naughton - u18s 2017 All Australian CHB - will play... ?

btw I rate Brander as well and won't complain at all if we take him.
Well I would put good money on him playing back because he looks great there.

Pick 5 should always be best available IMO. I don't see Naughton as the 5th best player in this draft regardless of his home state or his WAFL status, but that's just my opinion. We need help in midfield and up forward. Midfield is still were you win or lose the game IMO so that or a forward would be my choice. Look at the impact the Bont had on the bullies. That sort of mid to help Fyfe and co would be fantastic.
Don't mind us reaching a little for a need - certainly not more than a couple of spots though. In general I agree, best available though unless we are stacked in that area. Ie - no way Collingwood are taking a mid with pick 6

So the difference is Jack could kick. I'll be ****ing stoked if he is as good as Jack. He is the KPF we could have had with Pav...just imagine...

I'm certainly disagreeing with the people who think we should take Naughton because they think he'll be a key forward.

I also think a lot of people have forgotten about Alex Pearce when they talk about drafting Naughton. Next season our KPD roster will be: Pearce, Hamling, Cox, Collins, Logue and Uebergang. Even if you consider Cox to be a forward that's still 5 key defenders on our roster.

Spending pick 5 on another one seems like madness to me. And I don't think this conversation would be happening if he played for any team other than Peel.

1. Trade it for Hogan
2. Draft Brander
I'd have Draft Stephenson at no 3 moving the rest down but in essence I 100% agree with this post.

1. Trade it for Hogan
2. Draft Brander
Uebergang is also a forward. Collins quite possibly not going to be on the list, and clearly not highly regarded as anything other than depth. A Pearce an unknown in terms of injury. Not the deepest set of defenders in the afl there. Luckily some have versatility to play either end.

I agree with your first three pick 5 options, but prefer the idea of using it to recruit both McGovern and Naughton.

Remove this Banner Ad

Live Event 2017 AFL Draft - #2, #5, #42, #60, #66, #70, #77, #80, #90

Back