Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Noah Balta

• Aiden Bonar

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely. The trouble is no-one will do that deal.

Using the points table:

#5 = 2 x #19.
#5 = #10 + #37.
#5 = #12 + #31.
#10 + #12 = somewhere between #1 and #2.
Points mean nothing to clubs who don't have F/S or academy players to bid on so those numbers mean nothing (unless we trade to/from a team that cares). I think Richmond(Naish) and Brisbane(Ballenden) are the only clubs with F/S and academy players of note this year.

Pick 5 is more valuable than lower picks so I would hope any potential deal we do using it is heavily in our favour. Last year was a good example.

That means that McGovern, Hogan or Wilson won't be coming.

Look like it will be Matera, Mountford and Schoenfeld.
Harsh on Mountford at least and possibly Matera. Declan goes alright IMO and wouldn't cost much. I'd be flat out having seen Schoenfeld play 4 times so would rather pass there.

I don't mind padding out the list with cheap trades. Far more likely to work out than picks 50+.

Edit: Also is definitely pick 5 now even if we belt the Bombers by 200.

Harsh on Mountford at least and possibly Matera. Declan goes alright IMO and wouldn't cost much. I'd be flat out having seen Schoenfeld play 4 times so would rather pass there.

I don't mind padding out the list with cheap trades. Far more likely to work out than picks 50+.

Edit: Also is definitely pick 5 now even if we belt the Bombers by 200.
Mountford I agree but the other two don't excite me.

Worried that if we take Brander he'll be another McCartin. But if we pass, he'll be the next Buddy. Being a Freo fan did this to me ☹️

McCartin could still very well be a good KPF. He's 21 and has been unlucky with injury so far. That's KPFs. It took JJK until his 4th season to do anything worth writing home about. One of the many reasons I am not at all worried about Cam Mac.

If we do take Brander (I hope we do) I am sure there will be many who will put him in the spud basket when he fails to dominate AA-calibre key backs and kick 40 goals. Slightly hyperbolic but i'm sure it'll happen.

We don't have a 2nd round pick
yep thats the challenge. For me i believe we really do need to focus on quality mids even in developing them that have obvious talent.This years draft does extend out with such possibilites. In the past we have had a poor record in trying to get some the fast running and or elusive types and they were average.

Problem with this years draft for pick 5 apart from Brander who would be a good pick at 5 most of the available mids after the top two are an overeach at 5.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Read his comments on Brander

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suppose most continue to think we need a key forward - if Naughton is warranted at pick 5...and i do think he is a good choice for us....then maybe A Pearse become that key forward tall. But how do we get the mids we need?

Worried that if we take Brander he'll be another McCartin. But if we pass, he'll be the next Buddy. Being a Freo fan did this to me ☹️
IMO totally different players - as a forward Jack Riewoldt without the leap is probably the closest comparison IMO. Also Paddy has the diabetes problem and is generally unlucky to get concussed every other game.
Mountford I agree but the other two don't excite me.
Matera is clearly talented but doesn't consistently show it due to injury and possibly attitude. Happy to have a stab for a cheapie.
Interesting.
I'd go Naughton over Brander too.
Would love another pick inside 15.
I don't see how Naughton fits the need perfectly like he says. With Hamling, Logue , AP and Naughton, is one playing forward or wafl?
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I mentioned this earlier in the thread. Fair to say Anderson doesn't have any idea about our list profile since his knowledge of our KPD stocks is Johnson, Dawson and Logue. No mention of Pearce, Cox and Collins. Fair enough I suppose. The eastern states pundits don't usually give a **** about interstate clubs so don't waste any time getting up to speed and it shows. It is not just draft/trade stuff either. If you listen to radio or whatever their understanding is passing at best.
I suppose most continue to think we need a key forward - if Naughton is warranted at pick 5...and i do think he is a good choice for us....then maybe A Pearse become that key forward tall. But how do we get the mids we need?
Naughton my end up a forward. I generally don't know if he is capable (I doubt it, but don't know). I do know A Pearce is a defender. He looks 1000x better down back than up forward.

If we want a forward then we are going to need to draft one. If Naughton can do it, that's great. Otherwise we are right back to the good old days of playing defenders there (Johnno, Luke) and being disappointed.

Matera/Ryan: Sonny permanently midfield?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes I agree with that...... any others in the 40 to 60 pick range?
But need time to develop at peel.

There is some YouTube clip for Tac cup

From AFL draft central website
Greater Western Victoria Rebels vs. Dandenong Stingrays (Peter Williams)
10 Jordan Johnston
– A quieter game for the exciting talent. Johnston started in the midfield to show what he could do on the inside and he did not disappoint, earning a few free kicks after burying himself under packs and winning the ball first. He showed good vision across half-back under pressure, hitting up a teammate with a lateral pass while under pressure. Johnston also continued to apply defensive pressure despite not winning much of the ball, laying a few tackles and providing shepherds for his teammates. Johnston had a highlight earlier in the last term with a clever spin but then ruined it with a kick that landed in an opposition player’s lap. Johnston had a rare shot at goal late in the final term but his shot drifted away for a behind

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Live Event 2017 AFL Draft - #2, #5, #42, #60, #66, #70, #77, #80, #90

Back