Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Noah Balta

• Aiden Bonar

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick5 for Jack Martin and pick 24. Geez i'd do that. We should be right in Jack's ear, GC are a rabble and I could quite easily see a mass exodus on the horizon.

I don't gush over a lot of players in the competition but Jack Martin is seriously a player I can't help but do so towards. Not because we're both boys from the Kimberleys' either ;) Has potential to be a real superstar which is being wasted away over on the Gold Coast. I can't imagine how much better he would be if he had an actual coach, was in his home state and played along side a bigger indigenous group that has some real culture installed.

I said a few weeks back - Jack Martin is very gettable but I think it's up to Fremantle. I would feel comfortable giving up Pick 5 + 3rd Rounder for Jack Martin and 2 of their 4 2nd Round picks.

If we're going to be ferocious during the trade period - I seriously hope he's prioritized over Wilson. We don't really need Wilson as much as Martin but this board has sort of been conditioned now to think he's some must get attribute to our list.

Last edited:

I don't gush over a lot of players in the competition but Jack Martin is seriously a player I can't help but do so towards. Not because we're both boys from the Kimberleys' either ;) Has potential to be a real superstar which is being wasted away over on the Gold Coast. I can't imagine how much better he would be if he had an actual coach, was in his home state and played along side a bigger indigenous group that has some real culture installed.

I said a few weeks back - Jack Martin is very gettable but I think it's up to Fremantle. I would feel comfortable giving up Pick 5 + 3rd Rounder for Jack Martin and 2 of their 3 2nd Round picks.

If we're going to be ferocious during the trade period - I seriously hope he's prioritized over Wilson. We don't really need Wilson as much as Martin but this board has sort of been conditioned now to think he's some must get attribute to our list.

Don't think you're seeing much change from pick 5 alone to be honest. The bloke is a gun.

5 and 3rd for Martin and their 2nd... maybe gets it done if he wants out. To get 2 of their 2nd in return is almost a steal and can't see them doing that.

Matera could be the steak knives in the deal.

Don't think you're seeing much change from pick 5 alone to be honest. The bloke is a gun.

5 and 3rd for Martin and their 2nd... maybe gets it done if he wants out. To get 2 of their 2nd in return is almost a steal and can't see them doing that.

If Martin wants to leave or has plans to do so next year I think they would do it now. After that trade they would still have 2, 5, 19, 33 and 40 in 2 rounds. (That's 5, 6 if we don't get another 2nd Rounder) and we'd take 22 and 24 of them. I think they will be pretty busy trying to get player swaps happening (Which won't involve those picks above) AND trying to slim down their picks a little. They're not in a position to go and draft 10 players again this year.

Last edited:
Martin is a gun but contracted to 2019. Where did this trade talk about him start from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nowhere. Tundrawolf said that our Pick5 will be on the trade table.

I came up with a few dream trades:

Pick5 for Jack Martin and pick 24. Geez i'd do that. We should be right in Jack's ear, GC are a rabble and I could quite easily see a mass exodus on the horizon.

Pick5 and 2018 2nd rounder for Hogan.

I just have a feeling that Hogan is gettable...his personal situation and our pick 5, plus a swap of 2018 seconds?
Now that the Dees missed finals, they would be pretty reluctant to let Hogan go. They have to get better and a playing Hogan makes them better. Not too many of their other forwards stood up when really required.
Jack Watts, however, would have to be on very thin ice.
Note: I don't want Watts at Freo !!!

I haven't been following any of the U18's but are the cream of the midfielders this year that much better than Brander or Naughton? Would we be reaching taking Brander or Naughton if one of the highly touted mids is available at our pick? One side of me says don't reach for a KPP because we need one but the other is saying grab the KPP player because we need one.

Although, if Hogan is available as a swap for 5 then in my eyes, there's no decision that needs to be made.

I haven't been following any of the U18's but are the cream of the midfielders this year that much better than Brander or Naughton? Would we be reaching taking Brander or Naughton if one of the highly touted mids is available at our pick? One side of me says don't reach for a KPP because we need one but the other is saying grab the KPP player because we need one.

Although, if Hogan is available as a swap for 5 then in my eyes, there's no decision that needs to be made.
Unless we pick the next Dangerfield, Martin, midfielders who kick goals, how else do you improve our
scoring? Even Fyfe hasn't kicked a goal a game this year.
We need players that score, and a gameplan to enable this to happen, we have proven at times this
year with our inside fifty count, the ball is coming in enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are after more than just those two.

I was told Freo will be "ferocious" in their recruiting.
Whether that comes off or not is another thing but expect us to be in the thick of things during trade week.
Interesting...I am just trying to think of WA players of note that might be gettable and good outside of Gov and Matera. The rest are all contracted

As well as the common sense intelligent move.If you're being ruthless it's always going to be like that strategically.
The strategy does't really matter as long as they do it well. If you can use 4 picks and get 4 good+ players - that is a good strategy. If you can use those picks to trade for 4 good+ players - that is a good strategy.

Saying we 100% must keep or 100% must trade our picks is a BAD strategy. Keep the open mind I say.

@everyone
Also, I think we should move on from Hogan talk and to a lesser extent, Martin talk. Both are contracted to 2019. It is really unlikely. At least Wilson is only contracted next year.

Some random numbers.
Of the teams finishing in the 8. Only 2 kicked less than 2000 points. Richmond who had a stellar defence and Ess who get in because Melbourne leaks like a sieve.
Most of the season those who kick more than 96 points in a game, win. If you make the 8 on 13 wins and 8 losses.

We can kick 80 points without too many problems but that extra 2.5 goals. Gee that's a drama.

Perhaps I'm being a bit simplistic but our number one requirement in the off season is someone who will guarantee more than 2 goals a game, week in week out. I'm not asking for Ablet senior, Plugger or Buddy. But seriously there has got to be someone we can get who will deliver this. I don't care if he is the size of the Mountain or Tyrion Lannister (GOT reference, apologies if you don't watch), can't string two sentences together or has squinty eyes, as long as he delivers 2 goals a game.

http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/frema...antle-eye-peel-youngster-20170829-gy6bdg.html

Wilson, 24, is a Mandurah product and is looks destined to seek a trade back home for personal reasons.

Dockers list powerbrokers will also seriously consider emerging Peel Thunder key backman Aaron Naughton.

The classy teenager has crashed into calculations as a top draft selection in November after selection in the Australian under-18 team this season.

Naughton has also put in some highly impressive outings for Peel's senior side heading into next month's local finals series with the Dockers alignment outfit.

http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/frema...antle-eye-peel-youngster-20170829-gy6bdg.html

Wilson, 24, is a Mandurah product and is looks destined to seek a trade back home for personal reasons.

Dockers list powerbrokers will also seriously consider emerging Peel Thunder key backman Aaron Naughton.

The classy teenager has crashed into calculations as a top draft selection in November after selection in the Australian under-18 team this season.

Naughton has also put in some highly impressive outings for Peel's senior side heading into next month's local finals series with the Dockers alignment outfit.

That article mentions Danyle Pearce is gone, but I thought he had 1 year left on his contract.... it is a Hagdorn article though

The strategy does't really matter as long as they do it well. If you can use 4 picks and get 4 good+ players - that is a good strategy. If you can use those picks to trade for 4 good+ players - that is a good strategy.
Saying we 100% must keep or 100% must trade our picks is a BAD strategy. Keep the open mind I say.
Not too sure what you thought I was saying but I was agreeing with Tundra that it was a commonsense stategy.
All options are open,pick 5 is on the table but naturally if it doesn't help secure something we are happy with it is removed.

Interesting. They have Brander at 4 and Fogerty at 5

2017’S TOP DRAFT PROSPECTS

CAMERON RAYNER (Vic Metro, Western Jets)

Comparisons to Dustin Martin can’t help but boost his draft value. At 187cm he’s the same height as Dusty, plays the same role as the Tigers superstar and has the haircut to match as well. Rayner kicked off his under-18 carnival for Vic Metro with 23 disposals against WA and destroyed SA with 16 possessions, seven marks and five goals.

LUKE DAVIES-UNIACKE (Vic Country, Dandenong Stingrays)

Seen as the outstanding midfielder in the 2017 draft class, the 187cm inside midfielder also has similar traits to Martin or Christian Petracca. While injuries have been an issue in the past, his draft season has been excellent with his stoppage work a highlight.

PADDY DOW (Vic Country, Bendigo Pioneers)

Midfielder with great character who cuts angles, kicks goals, can win clearances and marks overhead. Seven of the eight Victorians the Lions have drafted over the past two years have been country boys. Bagged two goals from 35 disposals on Sunday.

JARROD BRANDER (NSW/ACT, Bendigo Pioneers)

After losing his GWS Academy eligibility, Brander has been in the sights of every team. However, don’t expect him to last long on draft night as the top key forward prospect. At 195cm, the NSW product has the size but also the athleticism to make a mark in the AFL.

DARCY FOGARTY (South Australia, Glenelg)

Fogarty’s under-18 championships campaign was ruined by a knee injury and surgery in July brought his draft season is an early end. However, the South Australian started the year as a No. 1 contender due to his versatility. At 192cm, Fogarty can play forward, across half-back and in the midfield.

JAIDYN STEPHENSON (Vic Metro, Eastern Ranges)

The X-factor option in the 2017 draft, Stephenson has developed into a midfielder with Eastern Ranges this season. His 39-disposal performance against Sandringham certainly caught the eye. At 189cm, the youngster has plenty of upside and could be a surprise selection depending on the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Live Event 2017 AFL Draft - #2, #5, #42, #60, #66, #70, #77, #80, #90

Back