Game Day 2017 Collingwood Intra Club

Remove this Banner Ad

I saw him run onto the ground then saw him no more. I have since watched the first 2 qtrs of the replay and have failed to spot him at all. Physically he reminds me too much of a Gault type, a bit skinny and unlikely to be first choice against the bulkier tall forwards.

He wasn't spotted because neither was his opponent mainly Moore.

His old man did say he thought he was more advanced than him at the same stage of their careers.
Gary Abblet Jr. didn't look anything special when he started.
Josh could be a huge surprise packet.
The younger one is even better apparently.
Love the recollections of two brothers as juniors and who is regarded as the better one.
Sometimes the lesser one does surpass the better one so to speak.

My all time favourite such story, I know it will be Carlton, but it's still a great story.

Carlton recruiters wanted this junior Don Nicholls to join their club.

Well dad, he wasn't the dad for nothing, thought I better look after both my boys.

Mr Nicholls Snr says you want young Don to join you well you better take the fat kid out the back with you as well, or forget Don, it's his younger brother.

Carlton agreed, they really wanted Don.

Well brother of Don, he turned out ok.
John Nicholls!

We probably dont see Blair that differently. He just hangs in there as far a selection in the team. Maybe you have him out of it and I have him just in previously and out now.

Still that "role" probably takes a little more mental strength than you give it credit for. A lot of players would struggle with the sacrifice and the chase.

One thing I have often put up on these threads is I believe Blair would be more highly rated by Bucks, Pendles and the playing group than he would by BF in general. Do you disagree with that idea? If you don't does it give any substance to the thought that he plays a more valued role in the team than many on here would believe?

They likely do but they also have a higher emotional investment in him.

The role is also a major focus of N.Buckleys he has a great footy brain and likely has forgotten more about footy then I KNOW but other coaches see the role differently, or at least the player filling the role.
They try to get their goals sneaks to be more defensively minded when not in possession but still use HIGHLY creative types to fill that role as to be also dangerous threats when the ball is in their teams hands making the opponent much more accountable.

Also you can not fault his effort or output from the intra club game, he played reasonably well by any comparison I thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alot of good medium/small defenders/forwards coming through.

Maynard, Howe in defence are locked in
Fasolo, Elliot in the forward line are locked in
Probably a group of 6-10 players contesting for the remaining 4 roles on a flank.

Really don't see the need to play Pendles as a backman or as a forward for any duration of the game.

If he needs a break, let him rest on the bench.

If he's up and ready, play him mid.

Alot of good medium/small defenders/forwards coming through.

Maynard, Howe in defence are locked in
Fasolo, Elliot in the forward line are locked in
Probably a group of 6-10 players contesting for the remaining 4 roles on a flank.

Really don't see the need to play Pendles as a backman or as a forward for any duration of the game.

If he needs a break, let him rest on the bench.

If he's up and ready, play him mid.

Agree with that, except not convinced that Maynard is locked in yet. There's a fair bit of competition. Is he significantly ahead of Ramsay, Sinclair, Langdon, Shaz, Varcoe, Smith whichever mid(s) are likely to rotate through or simply play back flank?

Agree with that, except not convinced that Maynard is locked in yet. There's a fair bit of competition. Is he significantly ahead of Ramsay, Sinclair, Langdon, Shaz, Varcoe, Smith whichever mid(s) are likely to rotate through or simply play back flank?
Guaranteed Maynard would be picked round one bar injury. To play a pure hbf role his only competition would be Sinclair IMO.

Guaranteed Maynard would be picked round one bar injury. To play a pure hbf role his only competition would be Sinclair IMO.

I rate his potential very highly, but don't see why his performances to date would make him a certain selection.

He has the rebounding skills of all the soft half-backs you mentioned, and he can also defend. He's a more complete footballer than Sinclair, Ramsay, Shaz, Langdon, Varcoe and Smith. Both him and Howe can play lock down roles as well as rebounding roles, Buckley loves his backline flexibility, probably thinks about it when he does his business with his missus... Lock.

Last edited:
Yet Robert Harvey praised his game...... I didn't see him either!

“There was a bit to like with some of the new guys like Henry Schade, who did well...."

Was opposed to Moore much of the game and I don't recall him having any impact.

He has the rebounding skills of all the soft half-backs you mentioned, and he can also defend. He's a more complete footballer than Sinclair, Ramsay, Shaz, Langdon, Varcoe and Smith. Both him and Howe can play lock down roles as well as rebounding roles, lock.
I agree re Maynard. He is tough and has decent skills. I thought he was one of the better players yesterday, notwithstanding which he is sure to feature in our round one team. I also like Ramsay and can see him getting a spot ahead of Sinclair down back. I am still not convinced on Shaz but am not going to judge him on yesterday's game, although he was prominent in the first quarter. It seems players like to feed him the ball because he uses it well. It's nice to have some good disposers of the ball to select from down back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2017 Collingwood Intra Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Back