Game Day 2017 Collingwood Intra Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Given I'm the appointed leader of the pack with my assessment of his weaker 3rd period and these seem to be subjective views it seems we're in furious agreement so I'll stick with provocative.

Wasting valuable internet space is certainly an area I need to improve on so all's well that ends well :thumbsu:
The first quarter was his best. Didn't see much of him in the third.

Guaranteed Maynard would be picked round one bar injury. To play a pure hbf role his only competition would be Sinclair IMO.

I think Ramsay and Smith are competition as small half back flankers. I also like Varcoe there. There are some mediums that likely feature also, such as Shaz.

I think Ramsay and Smith are competition as small half back flankers. I also like Varcoe there. There are some mediums that likely feature also, such as Shaz.
Yeah there are definitely lots of blokes competing for spots in the backline. Ramma offers more dash out of the backline and Smith is probably the safest by foot and has the smarts. Maynard while doesn't add a lot of line breaking ability yet I think it's something that will come into his game, hopefully this year. Shaz is a personal favourite of mine so would love to see him start round one.

As for Varcoe I think he starts on the wing and pushes through HBF and HFF depending on match ups. Will be interesting to see how Bucks starts the backline in round one.

I finally just watched the intraclub, and I feel the need to make some quick points.

- It goes without saying how nice it was to see Elliott, Wells, Scharenberg and Ramsay get through unscathed and have pretty decent hitouts.

- Will Hoskin-Elliott won me over. I think he'll be an excellent addition.

- Goldsack is depth now. He's always been on the fringe, but I think he's slipped further down the pecking order.

- I actually think Blair did a fair block of work and is probably unfairly maligned.

- I'm not sure how the backline will fare in actually stopping the opposition from scoring, but I feel that we've got some pretty solid ball users to work with.

- Our midfield bats deep and we've got 5 genuine midfield stars. Pendlebury, Treloar, Adams, Sidebottom and Wells.

- I know he's maybe still a bit light framed, but I wouldn't put it past Josh Daicos to see some game time in 2017. He's all class.

- Couldn't really get much a gauge on the forward line. Moore was quiet though.

I doubt he would have even been drafted if he wasn't a f/s.

Given he wasn't bid on with about half a dozen "live" selections remaining I am likewise inclined.

Its interesting to read the theories of him cruising through. That's the time you're most likely to get injured in game and its an un-professional approach because it isn't easy to shift gears at the next level up.

I won't deny people that opinio its only that for mine Sando summed it up best when he mentioned that he's the type to step up to the level. I underrated that potential in his game as I did with Crisp, which annoys me because I'm like that in the workplace, so I'll put that in the memory bank.

Players like that are worth their weight in gold if they make it because the gap between their best and worst is lessened. Challenge them to tap into their full potential and you'll see them strive above and beyond, IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've watched the full replay now.

Surprised to see criticisms of Blair and Aish in this thread. I thought both were actually really good. I don't read too much into intra-club matches, but I think both played good games.

I think every player floated in and out, and that is largely due to player management and also the fact players were switching sides etc.

In the first period, it was clear that the Black side had the much stronger side, yet Aish and Treloar single handedly kept them in it. Both were instrumental early. Then sides switched around. Treloar was probably the most consistent player throughout.

Phillips is looking really good as well. I reckon his foot-skills and decision making are really improving, and his endurance makes him find a lot of the ball. We could do with a really nice left footer on the wing. Josh Smith also continues to impress despite the fact I seemingly can't squeeze him into my best 22 just yet. He's making it hard not to include him though.

Grundy v Cox was a good battle. Cox held him own realistically and was quite good around the ground. He looks to be more of an 'AFL player' now, as opposed to someone just learning the game. He gets to the right spots and makes the right choices. Grundy though was very good around the ground and he looked really fit.

Wells really wasn't a factor. He got a few possessions and used it ok, but he was more out there just for a bit of a jog more than anything. I'm happy enough with his progress. He really only needs one JLT game and he should be ready to go. I'd prefer he works into the season anyway than dominate early and then just break down.

Our key defenders ultimately did ok, but really we didn't have any key forwards to challenge them. The best forward on the ground was Ash Close in the end. Schade looks solid, and Dunne gets involved. Both will be decent stop-gaps this year, but the fact is that we need McLarty to come on quickly. Goldsack was also useful, and I think he will be important this year. I thought he had a decent game.

Was obviously pleasing to see Daicos do well. He definitely looked like he belonged. That sort of game is going to suit him though, and it will be interesting to see how he goes against a full strength AFL side. He did enough to earn himself a JLT spot though, which is realistically all he has to do at this stage.

Shaz, Elliott and Ramma were obvious highlights. I thought Elliott and Ramsey in particular look AFL ready and had good games. Shaz was ok. He is clearly still lacking penetration in his kicking, and he really just works for the easy kicks and just uses it very cautiously. But he took a nice mark and slotted in nicely across half back. I think his tank and conditioning at this stage is not going to allow him to really break into the AFL side just yet. But after so long out, he was probably ahead of where I expected him. Was a nice game from him.

At this stage with Shaz, I'd just be working on his fitness and instructing him to beat his man defensively. As he develops, he'll become an offensive weapon too. He looks his best though body to body where he can force his man under it and take an intercept mark.

Really pleasing hitout. Can't wait for the JLT to start.

Peter Daicos was a star from a very young age. Gavin Brown by comparison progressed on a more normal learning curve.

So if Daic jnr is better than his old man at the same age (but behind Brown jnr at the draft) ....then thats additional fuel to my theory he tanked last year!!

Not sure he tanked but he was carefully managed stayed out of the elite systems (which impacted on his fitness) until his draft year, he often displayed elite talent but would go missing (which i put down to being behind on endurance compared to many other tac and champ players).

I only got to watch 5-6 games of his last year but it was enough for me to see his potential, he is elite disposer great vision, great clean hands, smart with ball in hand and gets to good spots often.

Brown jnr will also likely prove to be a good player but in a different way.

Tongue in cheek by myself to claim he tanked. Based on optimism that we got a bargain rather than some sort of draft manipulation allegation. Although by your own admission he was kept out of the usual junior system by the club and wasn't at the same fitness level as his peers. That's the benefit if father son first dibs. Some may call it tanking!!!

I've watched the full replay now.

Surprised to see criticisms of Blair and Aish in this thread. I thought both were actually really good. I don't read too much into intra-club matches, but I think both played good games.

I think every player floated in and out, and that is largely due to player management and also the fact players were switching sides etc.

In the first period, it was clear that the Black side had the much stronger side, yet Aish and Treloar single handedly kept them in it. Both were instrumental early. Then sides switched around. Treloar was probably the most consistent player throughout.

Phillips is looking really good as well. I reckon his foot-skills and decision making are really improving, and his endurance makes him find a lot of the ball. We could do with a really nice left footer on the wing. Josh Smith also continues to impress despite the fact I seemingly can't squeeze him into my best 22 just yet. He's making it hard not to include him though.

Grundy v Cox was a good battle. Cox held him own realistically and was quite good around the ground. He looks to be more of an 'AFL player' now, as opposed to someone just learning the game. He gets to the right spots and makes the right choices. Grundy though was very good around the ground and he looked really fit.

Wells really wasn't a factor. He got a few possessions and used it ok, but he was more out there just for a bit of a jog more than anything. I'm happy enough with his progress. He really only needs one JLT game and he should be ready to go. I'd prefer he works into the season anyway than dominate early and then just break down.

Our key defenders ultimately did ok, but really we didn't have any key forwards to challenge them. The best forward on the ground was Ash Close in the end. Schade looks solid, and Dunne gets involved. Both will be decent stop-gaps this year, but the fact is that we need McLarty to come on quickly. Goldsack was also useful, and I think he will be important this year. I thought he had a decent game.

Was obviously pleasing to see Daicos do well. He definitely looked like he belonged. That sort of game is going to suit him though, and it will be interesting to see how he goes against a full strength AFL side. He did enough to earn himself a JLT spot though, which is realistically all he has to do at this stage.

Shaz, Elliott and Ramma were obvious highlights. I thought Elliott and Ramsey in particular look AFL ready and had good games. Shaz was ok. He is clearly still lacking penetration in his kicking, and he really just works for the easy kicks and just uses it very cautiously. But he took a nice mark and slotted in nicely across half back. I think his tank and conditioning at this stage is not going to allow him to really break into the AFL side just yet. But after so long out, he was probably ahead of where I expected him. Was a nice game from him.

At this stage with Shaz, I'd just be working on his fitness and instructing him to beat his man defensively. As he develops, he'll become an offensive weapon too. He looks his best though body to body where he can force his man under it and take an intercept mark.

Really pleasing hitout. Can't wait for the JLT to start.

Re the bolded: Spot on exactly how I saw it.

Philips got involved but I can't agree on his disposal or maybe his decision making with the ball. Like the ping at goal he had and missed from 50 when there were clear team mates open close to goal.

Wells is the type of player to do better with a full compliment of "best 22" AFL players around him, he also still looks to be working his fitness to club standards and his team mates probably arent looking for him as much as they will as the year progress'.

Shaz had some good plays and some bad got through it unscathed and will likely need to build himself back up in the VFL both physically and mentally.

Elliott looked good and Ramma looks to have kept his pace.

1 player who hasn't got much attention was the "fresh prince of bel'perth" FASOLO he had some stints through the centre and had some very nice plays his field kicking is elite and goes very underrated, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a run on ball throughout this year.

I watched the first game Daicos played and went to most of his games in the 1980's.
Know exactly how good he was.
I was surprised he would come out and say the kid was more advanced than him at same period.
Lucky the other clubs did not pay attention to the tyre pumping.
Although one of the so called draft experts had Josh around the 30 mark.
Could have been Buckenara.
That one knew what he was talking about.
Think the kid will be great value.

Rumour had it Wright rated him highly as well, Hawks were interested in him. Fits their high value on clean ball handling and kicking skills mantra.

Tongue in cheek by myself to claim he tanked. Based on optimism that we got a bargain rather than some sort of draft manipulation allegation. Although by your own admission he was kept out of the usual junior system by the club and wasn't at the same fitness level as his peers. That's the benefit if father son first dibs. Some may call it tanking!!!

Yeah unfortunately his little brother is already been dominating the elite path ways for a few years now, so don't think we will see the same bargain in 3-4 more years time. But that's OK as well, as you would rather know you had a sure bet then hope you get one.

Rumour had it Wright rated him highly as well, Hawks were interested in him. Fits their high value on clean ball handling and kicking skills mantra.

The best way to avoid Hawthorn getting their dirty prying eyes on our players is to bring Wright back home to Collingwood.

Re the bolded: Spot on exactly how I saw it.

Philips got involved but I can't agree on his disposal or maybe his decision making with the ball. Like the ping at goal he had and missed from 50 when there were clear team mates open close to goal.

Wells is the type of player to do better with a full compliment of "best 22" AFL players around him, he also still looks to be working his fitness to club standards and his team mates probably arent looking for him as much as they will as the year progress'.

Shaz had some good plays and some bad got through it unscathed and will likely need to build himself back up in the VFL both physically and mentally.

Elliott looked good and Ramma looks to have kept his pace.

1 player who hasn't got much attention was the "fresh prince of bel'perth" FASOLO he had some stints through the centre and had some very nice plays his field kicking is elite and goes very underrated, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a run on ball throughout this year.

Yeah I missed Fas. He looked really sharp. Everything he does with the ball is good.

I was glad to see that both he and Elliott were on the same team for most of the match as they really need to learn to work together. I reckon we lost about another 25-30 goals when Fasolo went down, and 30-40 from Elliott.

We just haven't really seen them work together in the same forward line that often. They are both similar players, and I reckon could get in each other's way a bit considering they almost play as traditional lead up full forwards more than crumbers.

So the more game-time they get together is better. I liked seeing Fasolo up the ground, as I reckon at times he can really spark our ball-movement. It may well be that Elliott and Fasolo rotate through the middle a lot...simply depending on who has the better match-up. Most sides will really struggle finding 2 defenders that can with with Billy and Fas in the air and the ground. So isolating the match-ups could work.

Yeah unfortunately his little brother is already been dominating the elite path ways for a few years now, so don't think we will see the same bargain in 3-4 more years time. But that's OK as well, as you would rather know you had a sure bet then hope you get one.

If that's the worst news I hear all season I'll be pretty pleased

I agree. I can live with that. Guaranteed access to a potential gun, the sense of community and continuity from seeing the sons of previous champs play in the black and white... and most likely a semi-bargain thrown in. Pretty good deal.

Moore wasn't really a bargain but we're all very happy we secured him and he was absolutely worth the pick.

We just need to get a grandfather-grandson rule in place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2017 Collingwood Intra Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Back