MRP / Trib. 2017 MRP/ Carlton Tribunal News & Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Leave religion out of it thanks folks!

I can understand a call to keep it respectful, but surely we are allowed to raise the question of whether or not him being a part of a religious minority that has been receiving a lot of bad press, and him being an AFL ambassador to people of the afore mentioned religion had an impact on his sentence given that is was explicitly mentioned in a statement in front of the tribunal?

I can understand a call to keep it respectful, but surely we are allowed to raise the question of whether or not him being a part of a religious minority that has been receiving a lot of bad press, and him being an AFL ambassador to people of the afore mentioned religion had an impact on his sentence?
Forgive me if i missed your point, but are you saying houli played the sympathy card and the tribunal were reluctant to come down hard on him because of his faith?

I couldn't care less about his religion
What pisses me off is that Waleed played the racism card as part of his character reference.
That is completely irrelevant to what happened on the football field at 3.30 last Sunday.
It should not be allowed and should have no bearing on the outcome of the case.

Last edited:
Character refs shouldn't make Fall difference to a blatant hit like that .The force and intention was there for all to see ..
I get it, Dadda, and I'd like to think that would be the case, but that's the way the courts work, and I assume, the Tribunal as well. No matter what crime you are being sentenced for, character refs can reduce your sentence. And as I said, one from the PM would carry an extraordinary amount of weight.

Forgive me if i missed your point, but are you saying houli played the sympathy card and the tribunal were reluctant to come down hard on him because of his faith?
Well that's the question now isn't it. It cant be denied that the card was played by his defence, not the AFL. Why would his religion have even been mentioned otherwise?

I can understand a call to keep it respectful, but surely we are allowed to raise the question of whether or not him being a part of a religious minority that has been receiving a lot of bad press, and him being an AFL ambassador to people of the afore mentioned religion had an impact on his sentence given that is was explicitly mentioned in a statement in front of the tribunal?
I think that this culminated in him being a political pawn for Turnbull ultimately winds up being the relevant point from that.

They just launched a campaign today, and the national conversation is currently (at least in part) turned onto the idea that Islam is a peaceful religion like many others, but there is an issue of extremists groups within it. All very legitimate, valid stuff, and a heavy suspension would take the shine off it.

Would it have been a devastating blow to that? No, but they only had to write a quick letter to ease the burden.

Well that's the question now isn't it. It cant be denied that the card was played by his defence, not the AFL. Why would his religion have even been mentioned otherwise?
I agree, it shouldn't have any bearing at all.... But Malcolm obviously likes him so I guess that was the main reason he got off so lightly... Doesn't the PM have better stuff to do though?

Can you provide a quote of said statement please?

Can you provide a quote of said statement please?

“It’s very hard to think of a better example of the strength and resilience of our great multicultural society than the work that Bachar Houli does,” Turnbull said as part of the submission.

Aly, a Richmond supporter and prominent member of the Islamic community, wrote of Houli’s “humility and gentleness”.

He said Houli is “the first devout Muslim to play AFL … and bears the burden of a community that is desperately short of heroes and role models.”

“He delivers some of the most powerful and constructive messages that any athlete in recent times has been seen to offer young minds,” the Richmond counsel relayed of Aly’s statement.

“He does this in the face of racial abuse, which Aly has seen time and time again.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/ri...b/news-story/d2e233da4893cd880a4093172fca5897

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“It’s very hard to think of a better example of the strength and resilience of our great multicultural society than the work that Bachar Houli does,” Turnbull said as part of the submission.

Aly, a Richmond supporter and prominent member of the Islamic community, wrote of Houli’s “humility and gentleness”.

He said Houli is “the first devout Muslim to play AFL … and bears the burden of a community that is desperately short of heroes and role models.”

“He delivers some of the most powerful and constructive messages that any athlete in recent times has been seen to offer young minds,” the Richmond counsel relayed of Aly’s statement.

“He does this in the face of racial abuse, which Aly has seen time and time again.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/ri...b/news-story/d2e233da4893cd880a4093172fca5897

Based on that they should have given Jed 2 weeks for being in his way.

People need to chill out. The bloke has an impeccable record at all levels, does a lot of community work and managed to get some heavy hitters to provide character references. Is 2 weeks a joke? Totally. Is it weird our PM is wading into a tribunal hearing? No doubt.

Is evidence of an AFL lead conspiracy to support Islam while screwing Carlton? Relax friends.

I take that as focussing on his community work and standing, rather than hiding behind his religion, as was implied.

People need to chill out. The bloke has an impeccable record at all levels, does a lot of community work and managed to get some heavy hitters to provide character references. Is 2 weeks a joke? Totally. Is it weird our PM is wading into a tribunal hearing? No doubt.

Is evidence of an AFL lead conspiracy to support Islam while screwing Carlton? Relax friends.

How about you tell Jed to chill out.

Great post..

The one thing that frustrates me with this is that the tribunal system already effectively takes good character into account through the points system. If you have a bad record, you get a bigger punishment. Why are they further diluting penalties with external references?

Remove this Banner Ad

MRP / Trib. 2017 MRP/ Carlton Tribunal News & Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Back