Votes: 22 4.8%
  • Wayne Milera(ADEL)

Votes: 20 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Clarkes last 6 weeks:

27, 25, 27, 31, 24, 20.

They give it to Hayward after 3 possessions?

KB trolling North fans it seems.

Brayden Fiorini in 15 games
9x 20+ disposals
4x 25+ disposals
2x 30+ disposals
4th among rising stars for average possessions
also didn't receive a nomination.

Didn't even get one after a 32 possession, 7 mark, 2.1 goal, 12 tackle, 5 clearance game

That actually made me feel a bit better thanks :thumbsu:

Who is eligible next year besides Witherden that may win? (besides the 2017 draftees)

Brodie, Setterfield, Perryman would be some. But Witherden is the clear favourite at this stage obviously
Darcy, Cox and Logue should all be eligible next season.

seems to be a bit of a Charlie Curnow push going in in the media at the moment. three of their "experts" (including robbo) tipping him to win. also a "can young blue pinch rising star?" story today. probably clickbait but it should be remembered that the afl media (and the judges) appear to have memory spans similar to goldfish.

seems to be a bit of a Charlie Curnow push going in in the media at the moment. three of their "experts" (including robbo) tipping him to win. also a "can young blue pinch rising star?" story today. probably clickbait but it should be remembered that the afl media (and the judges) appear to have memory spans similar to goldfish.

Was that a Herald Sun article? Can't find it anywhere

McGrath - solid performer, will be a good player but unlikely to be a game breaker.
Burton - great decision maker and skills, in the classic Hawthorn mould.

He's had a good year, but I doubt long term whether McGrath will even be a top 10 from this draft. Much rather have Burton. Most exciting prospect (biased, obviously) is probably Charlie Curnow, based on what he has already shown in multiple positions.

I disagree, McGrath has all the tools to be a jet of a player. Although, being biased myself, I see Burton
Was that a Herald Sun article? Can't find it anywhere

It's lumped in with a bunch of finals stuff:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...t/news-story/6d78f7a147f307d00a2fa438b6be0419

9x 20+ disposals
4x 25+ disposals
2x 30+ disposals

Didn't even get one after a 32 possession, 7 mark, 2.1 goal, 12 tackle, 5 clearance game
Wowwwww if those stats are correct, that's bloody disgraceful from the selectors.

9x 20+ disposals
4x 25+ disposals
2x 30+ disposals

That's a little misleading. It reads as if all 15 games have been 20+ disposals
I took it as 9 games above 20 PLUS 4 games above 25 + 2 games above 30, which would be incredible so I went to check.

It's actually:
1x 30+ disposals
2x 25-29 disposals
5x 20-24 disposals

So a total of 8 out of 15 games above 20 touches. Still should have got a nomination, but the initial post was a bit misleading (and slightly inaccurate - did I miss a 30 possession game somewhere?)

I took it as 9 games above 20 PLUS 4 games above 25 + 2 games above 30, which would be incredible so I went to check.

It's actually:
1x 30+ disposals
2x 25-29 disposals
5x 20-24 disposals

So a total of 8 out of 15 games above 20 touches. Still should have got a nomination, but the initial post was a bit misleading (and slightly inaccurate - did I miss a 30 possession game somewhere?)

I took it to mean a total of 9 games, not 15.

My question is, which Rising Star eligible player gets the most Brownlow votes, and how many do they get?

Clearly the midfielders have a huge advantage here, because umpires arent interested in forwards unless they kick 5+, and have zero interest in defenders at all.

Lance, I know you wont be interested, so maybe just a paragraph on daffodils?

It's actually:11
1x 30+ disposals
2x 25-29 disposals
5x 20-24 disposals

15 overall career games - two of which were last year during the last 2 rounds including the 32 disposal game.
The point of the post was more the fact that unlike what had been stated by Mr_Nyah, a high possession young player with a long run of consistency not getting a nomination is not unprecedented, and also that the 'plastic franchises' are marked just as harshly north is. GWS for example also only had 1 nomination this year and that was for Taranto who up until he was injured was in the top 5 to take out the award.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When Cripps was in his eligible year he missed out because 'Hogan is a tall therefore bonus points apply and deserves RS'

When Weitering was eligible as a tall and had a great season, Mills wins as 'only tall FORWARDS get said bonus points in RS'

This year Curnow has had a ripping season as a tall forward but apparently players are now only judged on how well they can defend.

Based on this, I can't see Curnow wining the RS

When Cripps was in his eligible year he missed out because 'Hogan is a tall therefore bonus points apply and deserves RS'

When Weitering was eligible as a tall and had a great season, Mills wins as 'only tall FORWARDS get said bonus points in RS'

This year Curnow has had a ripping season as a tall forward but apparently players are now only judged on how well they can defend.

Those Carlton players didn't win because they didn't perform as well.

Hogan's rising star season was a fair bit better than Curnow's this year. Hogan kicked 44 goals from 20 games. Curnow has 20 goals from 21 games.
Now obviously goals aren't the only stat that matters but that is a HUGE difference. That's not even in the same stratosphere in terms of performance.

Not sure how that's anti Carlton bias in any way. 44 goals as a forward that's played less than 10 games (in his case 0 at the start of his rising star season) is incredible.

Playing the victim a bit here. Hogan and Cripps was a tough one but Weitering was scraping third behind Mills and Daniel in my opinion. Parish deserved points for playing an important role in a decimated squad also, he was about equal with Weitering.

Playing the victim a bit here. Hogan and Cripps was a tough one but Weitering was scraping third behind Mills and Daniel in my opinion. Parish deserved points for playing an important role in a decimated squad also, he was about equal with Weitering.

Cripps was a clear winner in his year. The party line was 'hogan is a tall' which is why he was viewed to be the more impressive candidate. After a quick google search of 'Jesse hogan rising star' this was in fact the first article which came up..

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...e-battle-of-rising-stars-20150904-gjf0sk.html

Weitering had an off the charts year for a true key position player. Not saying he was better than Mills, but the gap between Mills and Weitering was a lot smaller than the gap between Cripps and Hogan. Following the precedent Weitering should have been given the nod for the degree of difficulty in his role.

The point of my original post is that if we are to look at this years leading candidates seasons, they are all pretty close. Curnow should win based off of the logic behind Hogan winning the award.

Cripps was a clear winner in his year. The party line was 'hogan is a tall' which is why he was viewed to be the more impressive candidate. After a quick google search of 'Jesse hogan rising star' this was in fact the first article which came up..

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...e-battle-of-rising-stars-20150904-gjf0sk.html

Weitering had an off the charts year for a true key position player. Not saying he was better than Mills, but the gap between Mills and Weitering was a lot smaller than the gap between Cripps and Hogan. Following the precedent Weitering should have been given the nod for the degree of difficulty in his role.

The point of my original post is that if we are to look at this years leading candidates seasons, they are all pretty close. Curnow should win based off of the logic behind Hogan winning the award.

Cripps was huge, but a 1st year kid kicking 44 goals in a poor team is unprecedented.

Curnow managed half the goals in more games. So that logic is rubbish.

Cripps was huge, but a 1st year kid kicking 44 goals in a poor team is unprecedented.

Curnow managed half the goals in more games. So that logic is rubbish.

Hogan played a stay at home FF role, Curnow is starting at CHF and moving into midfield and even ruck. Basing the comparison purely on goals doesn't work.

Remove this Banner Ad

2017 Rising Star Discussion

Back