Votes: 48 10.4%
  • Brayden Fiorini(GC)

Votes: 22 4.8%
  • Wayne Milera(ADEL)

Votes: 20 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I couldn't care less about the Rising star award. Im more concerned about who will be the best player over their careers and I'm pretty happy with Curnow to be Completely Honest.

Probably shouldn't be posting in a rising star discussion thread. Comes off as sour grapes

Ainsworth got nominated for 10 possies and 3 goals? Jesz.

Imo SPP. the impact he has as a first year player is unreal.
Burton is class dont get me wrong but SPP is right in the engine room.

Just looked through all the rising stars' stats on footywire (average/per game and totals) and gee wish we got a full year out of witherden

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imo SPP. the impact he has as a first year player is unreal.
Burton is class dont get me wrong but SPP is right in the engine room.

Just looked through all the rising stars' stats on footywire (average/per game and totals) and gee wish we got a full year out of witherden

SPP goes missing in big games. Burton has been consistent the entire year.

Burton's season has been consistently at a level that none of the other 3 have been able to match....It's that simple.

You got the consistently part right.

The part about a level the other 3 haven't been able to match?

Wrong.

Can't speak for the others but Charlie Curnow's 2nd half of the season has been of a higher standard.

Wrong.

Can't speak for the others but Charlie Curnow's 2nd half of the season has been of a higher standard.

Curnow finishing strongly the past 2 months for sure and doing his chances no harm.

The only thing holding Curnow back from being a complete player is he doesn't hit the scoreboard often enough for a key forward. That's about the only weakness in his game right now.

I think that may improve though with more games under his belt over the next few years.

Wrong.

Yep, Curnow's second half has been outstanding. Burton's has been of a high level but definitely not to Curnow's.

Yeah I'm tipping our bloke Burton but any of the players being mentioned wouldn't be non deserving. Think Burton has probably been the most consistent but boy do I like Charlie he's going to be great to watch

Take a look at @AFLPlayerRating's Tweet:
The third picture shows just how consistent Burton has been. Whilst still being the highest scorer over the year as a whole. Which is what this award is for. Curnow freakish finish though

Take a look at @AFLPlayerRating's Tweet:
The third picture shows just how consistent Burton has been. Whilst still being the highest scorer over the year as a whole. Which is what this award is for. Curnow freakish finish though

The problem with this is that the player ratings are utter garbage.

I think Burton's year compared to the other nominees is analogous to Sam Mitchell's career compared to a large percentage of the AFL players in the past decade. (Ablett probably the only exception)

By this I mean that he's consistently performed at a very high level (relative to his peers) and while other players have perhaps had higher peaks at different points, no one else has maintained the same consistently high level over the same period. For those who remember their high school maths, this would be "the area under the curve".

This is illustrated well in Sam's case by his polling in the Brownlow over the years. Consistently polling well most years to the point where he's amassed one of the highest tallies ever yet only won the award once during that time (and sharing it with another in that year).

In terms of the Rising Star this year, I think only Curnow has had a higher peak than Burton. But if you were to take that "area under the curve" of their season long performances then Burton comes out clearly ahead - in my opinion. This is all well and good in theory, but I doubt we'll all ever decide on a single metric by which we can assess players on.

2017 Rising Star Discussion

Back