Votes: 48 10.4%
  • Brayden Fiorini(GC)

Votes: 22 4.8%
  • Wayne Milera(ADEL)

Votes: 20 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

This popularity contest is named the Rising Star Award. Not the young player most consistently playing slightly above average football in their position award.

Charlie's stocks are rising like no other player in the league. Should win it in a canter.

He's certainly timed his run well. McGrath is still getting heaps of media hype though so their last games could prove telling which may be tough on Curnow.

Actually its awarded to the eligible player who has had the best season. nothing to do with popularity or an opinion.
Given that there are no weekly votes or any guarantee that the judges have watched all games, I reckon it is just a popularity contest, especially when you factor in that most of the judges are not the deepest thinkers. Votes are definitely the collective opinion of the judges.

Its a pity Andrew was good enough to play seniors from the get go.

If only he'd been allowed to cruise around in the VFL this year and rack up his 2nd pre-season he'd have smashed it next year.

He's certainly timed his run well. McGrath is still getting heaps of media hype though so their last games could prove telling which may be tough on Curnow.
The Essendon media personalities are making sure he is in the spotlight at the right time.

Albeit deserved.

Its a pity Andrew was good enough to play seniors from the get go.

If only he'd been allowed to cruise around in the VFL this year and rack up his 2nd pre-season he'd have smashed it next year.
Isn't that what all the EFC supporters were saying about Francis in January backing him into RS favoritism?

Isn't that what all the EFC supporters were saying about Francis in January backing him into RS favoritism?
Probably.

I didn't read this thread in January, good memory by you though. :thumbsu:

Given that there are no weekly votes or any guarantee that the judges have watched all games, I reckon it is just a popularity contest, especially when you factor in that most of the judges are not the deepest thinkers. Votes are definitely the collective opinion of the judges.
Spot on. It's not meant to be but the format forces it to be. At best the judges will do a sanity check by taking a gander at some stats before they vote. Most, if not all of them will not have watched more than 4 games each round. This is where Curnow having such a strong finish to the season will do his chances good.

Might have been discussed earlier but...

Wouldn't Curnow have been the obvious opponent for Burton last saturday night? I was expecting a bit of a duel when I headed to the game, so I was suprised to see Burton playing forward suddenly. They weren't trying to "protect his lead" were they?

FWIW I think Burton is a gun. But he would have been shown up by Curnow had he played on him.

Wouldn't Curnow have been the obvious opponent for Burton last saturday night? I was expecting a bit of a duel when I headed to the game, so I was suprised to see Burton playing forward suddenly. They weren't trying to "protect his lead" were they?

FWIW I think Burton is a gun. But he would have been shown up by Curnow had he played on him.

Curnow is way to good for Burton in the air. Would've been silly. Though Burton probably would've had him on the spread and ran off a bit, which he did quite well anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clarko has been very vocal during his reign that individual awards aren't what he wants his players playing for. This isn't to say he'd make a move like that to either sabotage or help Burton win the Rising Star, but in fact the complete opposite. It would not factor into his thinking in the slightest.

We tried a lot of different things Saturday night, with Clarko having realistically considered finals as out of the equation. It's disappointing that our ball movement from half back and through the midfield was so shit because Burton did a great job of getting free or one-out in forward 50 throughout the first half (probably not visible on tv given the ball was hardly there). It wasn't until after half time when he went back that we managed to turn that around. Ironically that was when he got a goal too!

Curnow H2H with Burton would've been nice to see, but the way Hawthorn's backline works it would've only ever been a direct match up for at most only minutes at a time. And with Burton tasked with the key play making duties, in light of Sicily being shutout by Lamb, it would've been even rarer.

And there's absolutely no assumptions going on in that statement whatsoever.

Contra: It's lucky Burton didn't play on Curnow, otherwise the Carlton lad would have been given a footballing lesson & his chances at the RS gone along with it.

See how that works?....Just ask Tex Walker.

He did play on him mate, beat him for 3 quarters, then got moved forward in the last in an attempt to win the game.

What am I missing about Butler? Looking at the Player rating stats he has the highest average and he's also recorded the second highest individual score for the year amongst the nominees. Surely he's got to be a look in.

IMO Burton will win it for his consistency throughout the year. Every game has been quality. Though (an honestly all bias aside) Charlie Curnow has the highest ceiling of the lot and will go on to be the best of the group. The back half of the year he's been incredible. Very lucky to have snagged him.

They played a few contests but nothing major.

You're right it would have been a good contest, Curnow stronger in the air being a good advantage though, but Hawthorn have always shown a tendency not to follow forwards who play high, preferring to let those players leave the forward 50 and maintain a stronger defensive 50.

I'm not sure how many forward possessions Curnow had but I don't recall too many (which is in no way a criticism, just an explanation of why the two didn't often cross paths).

Burtons had the best year and should win. Curnow will be the best player of the rising stars. He's the one RS that I would swap burton for in a heartbeat

Sure but has had a very quiet 6 weeks.

Up untill the last 3rd of the season, SPP's numbers & output were right up there alongside Burton's....He's since blown both a fuse & a Tyre, to have limped towards the line rather badly.

What am I missing about Butler? Looking at the Player rating stats he has the highest average and he's also recorded the second highest individual score for the year among the nominees. Surely he's got to be a look in.

He's had a really good & consistent first year....24 goals is nothing to be sneezed at, although playing forward pocket means he doesn't see alot of action or get alot of ball to hand (222 disposals from 19 games @ 12 average)....His goal tally elevates his SC average up towards McGrath, Curnow & SPP.

He's also had some very poor games indeed where he only collected 4 disposals twice, 7, 8x2, & 9...Although in both those 8 disposal games he snaffled 2 & 3 goals respectively....He's also had games of only 10, 11 twice & 12 disposals, with no more than a single goal in any of them.

That's 10 out of 19 games with very low numbers, but with 2 returns encompassing multiple goals.....I'm not entirely sure that puts him in the equation TBH with you....Although he certainly warrants a mention.

If the Essendon bloke was ever to make this said team of the week then put your house on their supporters Puffing their chests about it.

Fact is Burton has been outstanding this year and would walk into any team in the comp, the AFL team of the week is just acknowledging how good he has been.

People talk about credibility but when they awarded the Rising Star to Palmer ahead of Cyril Rioli then the said credibility went out the window.

Anyway back on topic, I think it will come down to Burton and SPP with Burton the winner.
All bias aside I think SPP or the Essendon bloke will be worthy runnerups to Burton.
Burton wins this award.

I think SPP 2nd.

The Essendon bloke who had his first good game in about 6 weeks to come third.

it gives me great joy that you can't even bring yourself to call him by his name

2017 Rising Star Discussion

Back