2017 trade/draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone knows what Judd said regarding Jones.

But does did his blocking make up the rest of his game? Virtually played a man down, but it's cool he blocked for Judd?

Judd was one of the best players in the modern era, if you sacrifice a player to allow him to play at his best, it's 100% worthwhile.

But does did his blocking make up the rest of his game? Virtually played a man down, but it's cool he blocked for Judd?
Comments like this make me think you don't know much about footy. Next you'll be saying you don't rate Masten.

Jones jogged all day he couldnt chase . So totally agree was like a man down . The player he played on always cut us up . Couldnt kick over a jam jar even worse than scott selwood so was very frustrating when he couldnt kick a goal from 30 m . He was a link and only effective when he hand passed to Judd which any one could do

Oh goody we're back to Rowan Jones arguments

FFS

Some players aren't superstars but they can still play a vital role. Too difficult a concept for some to grasp though

Who's arguing?

10 years on, someone brings up Jones and after acknowledging how valuable he was, i asked the broad question of whether it was worth carrying a player like that, purely for his role as a blocker for Judd.

No need fill your diaper early today Keyser.
So you acknowledge he was valuable but then question his place in the side.

Makes sense

So you acknowledge he was valuable but then question his place in the side.

Makes sense
As far as blocking for Judd and apparent selfless acts go, yeah.. i acknowledge that is valuable to have.

But i don't believe you can carry a player for 4 quarters week in week out, with that being his most positive trait.

Didn't realize it was illegal to have an opinion. It's 2017 though, so yeah... makes sense.

As far as blocking for Judd and apparent selfless acts go, yeah.. i acknowledge that is valuable to have.

But i don't believe you can carry a player for 4 quarters week in week out, with that being his most positive trait.

Didn't realize it was illegal to have an opinion. It's 2017 though, so yeah... makes sense.
Yep, you'll never win a flag carrying a player like that

Oh wait

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which is the point, you need someone to do the grunt work in order to make Judd do what he did.

No RoJo/Chick/Stenglein/Embley doing blocks and sheppards in packs and the likes of Cousins/Kerr/Judd have a harder time of it.
And Chick/Stenglein/Embley/Braun were quality with ball in hand. I never had faith when RoJo had to make a decision or execute the a play. I think all players need to be doing the blocking and shepparding hence my continual anger at senior players like LeCras/Masten/etc for being front running soft ***** who don't play the team game. Judd could get away with it because we would in no way in hell ever want him having extra knocks when he was considered the Greatest player ever after his first 6 seasons. At the time, there was no one in the league you would want the ball in their hand more than Judd.

Jones is no different to someone like Hutchings. Just an honest toiler.
Harsh on Hutchings. He kicks goals and is confident ball in hand. Our 06 team would have been better with Hutch doing RoJo's role. Anyhow he's a premiership hero, so it's all ok and he didn't spud up '05 like a few.

Is Rowan re-entering the draft?

Harsh on Hutchings. He kicks goals and is confident ball in hand. Our 06 team would have been better with Hutch doing RoJo's role. Anyhow he's a premiership hero, so it's all ok and he didn't spud up '05 like a few.

Is Rowan re-entering the draft?

05' could have gone either way. Was a ripping game.

Masten will have a big year. Average 23.6 possessions, play 20 games,kick .7 goals per game in the seniors.
With our ball winning mid stocks being elevated with the arrival of Mitchell and hopefully an improved redden masten will be one of the main beneficiaries

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
If Masten averages 23.6 possessions, then we will likely break the Essendon record for the most backwards kicks. Oh dear!

mattyc75 - you talk about dropping others ahead of Masten. Can you please describe where Masten will play? I am only seeing outside midfield because he is not a forward, he is not an inside mid and he is not a defender. Based on 2016, he cannot lay a tackle, he cannot break a tackle meaning he is restricted an outside mid. His point of difference is endurance. What does that mean? He keeps doing his same crap deep into each quarter.

For the juniors watchers out there,stop hanging out the front of schools in your panel vans and get down to a footy match.
Throw some names out there,doesn't look for for high end west Aussies this time round judging by the few threads up already over in the trade/draft pages.
Also who do you think we will target from other teams at the end of the 2017 season

Back on topic - the WA U18 squad was dominated by guys who were 18 or 19, very little seen from bottom age payers.

Of those bottom age playersin the squad, the ones I recall are Young (EP), Patmore (Claremont), Naughton (Peel), Cahill (EP), Starcevich (EP) and Taylor (Swans). Not much to get excited about with the WA prospects in the carnival so not seeing anyone from WA as a likely prospect for the first round with possibly Starcevich as a late 2nd rounder but that is all. Taylor was 191 cm in 2016 - he is one to watch but suspect he will need to grow to make it as a 3rd tall.

That said, I hope we go the SA rout and pick players based on 2017 performance. Example - Logue would not of been seen as a top prospect 12 months ago. We need to see them in 2017 and stop doing our usual of having firm decisions before the season starts.

If we go tall early in this year's draft, then it is likely to be an interstate recruit. I also expect SA to have a strong showing in the 2017 draft.

The academy prospects this year are again strong. Will be interesting to see what happens with GSW and their lost points. They have another 3 or 4 top 20 prospects.

Last edited:
If Masten averages 23.6 possessions, then we will likely break the Essendon record for the most backwards kicks. Oh dear!

mattyc75 - you talk about dropping others ahead of Masten. Can you please describe where Masten will play? I am only seeing outside midfield because he is not a forward, he is not an inside mid and he is not a defender. Based on 2016, he cannot lay a tackle, he cannot break a tackle meaning he is restricted an outside mid. His point of difference is endurance. What does that mean? He keeps doing his same crap deep into each quarter.
It was tongue in cheek but I would say he would be vying for an outside mid spot with jetta.jetta was horrendous last season
Duggan,redden,yeo and jetta could very well be best 22 regulars this season bit all 4 have a lot to prove.
Masten can find the ball and I don't subscribe to the thinking that player Xs 6 possessions are better than player Ys 20.especially if its one of the 4 players I mentioned above
There are Always injuries and form slumps in a season so someone like masten is going to be very handy maybe not as a prime mid but someone who can benefit from the priddis and Mitchell types

Jones jogged all day he couldnt chase . So totally agree was like a man down . The player he played on always cut us up . Couldnt kick over a jam jar even worse than scott selwood so was very frustrating when he couldnt kick a goal from 30 m . He was a link and only effective when he hand passed to Judd which any one could do
You obviously didn't watch the interview with Woosha and Jones's highlights!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back