2017 Trade & FA Targets Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's true around the ground but elite contested marking forwards are gold. Ben Brown and Daniher both make the forward entries of their teams only need to be adequate rather than efficient. There is definitely less need for field players to be contested players generally though, spread and run is everything now. Burst speed and gut running are king.

That's great so we should be able to get players like...
Dangerfield
Oliver
J Kennedy
Fyfe
Mitchell
Cunnington
Martin
Wines
Ablett
Selwood

..... on the cheap. Since they are the top contested players.

The top contested markers get 2 to 3 contested marks a game. With only Ben Brown averaging more goals than contested marks amongst that group.
So i guess the question is ... How important are those 2 contested marks?

Tend to agree joff
Think he will honour the contract and stay on
Lots of talk l over here he will walk but I think it's just fallout from the GF

Another little bit of Goss which is not really trade related is a lad at work says he has very good friends that are right into the crows, big members, donate financially etc etc
Was at the shin dig for them after the GF, they are massive Taylor walker fans
They said he was drinking with his mates away from everyone else and looked to be having a great time away from the team, wouldn't think he lost a GF as capt....it actually made them very disappointed and are not that much of a fan anymore....onto the flip side sloaney look devo after the loss
Nothing major but I loved it as i always thought walker was over rated as a capt tbh

They also booked a seat for the cup next to walker on the return flight I'm told
Lol

Its been great over here
Port members loving it at work

No you should care but trying to get rich quick or a magic short cut won't happen. Save money no matter how much you earn and invest in something. Buy shares don't spend the dividend andcreinvest every cent in more shares it will compound and you will get rich down the track. I know more set up people with modest incomes than I do high wage earners. Don't by expensive cars unless they are an investment, they are like throwing away money. Don't use credit unless it's an emergency. You can pay me a commission later when you are rich.
Sounds like you have swallowed Rich Dad Poor Dad!

Lol, I'm just lightly teasing mate. For what it's worth I agree with your quoted message. And I'm doing fine thanks!

Not really Brandon White is probably an intercept medium defender/ third tall defender type and so is Tomlinson. Tommo's not really ideal on Joe Daniher types but is very mobile. Similar to Lever but with average to poor disposal. Brandon isn't really a running defender despite his lack of size and while Tomlinson isn't exactly a traditional KPB he's probably slightly better on taller players because of his height. They aren't miles apart and not a crazy comparison.

Either way putting another back in to the squad would make it harder for Brandon to get a foot in with Savage, Geary, Webster, Roberton and Gilbert all playing similar roles already. I don't know if Tomlinson pushes out Brown or not but we thought Dempster wasn't great on the really big guys and that's like moving back to that- someone has to come out .

Interestingly Danny Frawley said we had a solid defence that operated very well on SEN and needed to get players into other areas first and thought someone like Talia for KP depth was a good idea but use picks elsewhere. To me Adelaide had the best defensive unit for the last couple of years but a bit of an ordinary midfield and it's cost them flags despite being the best team for 2 years straight. I want quality mids.
False. Can tell you from close to the source that he'd be a direct replacement for Brown but with the ability to play higher up the ground as required.

It'd be interesting to see a club go completely one on one and hold positions rather then zoning for a season and see how that goes.
I'd love to see NBA teams going full court press defended again as well... russell Westbrook would score 80 a game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I swear sometimes I think people don't watch any games when it comes to discussing players. Tomlinson is a defender and would take Nathan Brown's position if he came to us. Yes he is an athletic freak and has great insurance.

The talk of him playing anywhere but the backline is crazy. And for what it's worth he is a good solid 1v1 defender. He is worth around pick 12 and if we give up pick 7 I'd want a second coming back our way.

genuine mids/inside/clearance
Steven
Ross
Armitage
Steele
Dunstan
Stevens

Genuine Outside/wing
Newnes
Sinclair

Theres a hole there

We have a lot of inside mids, but not necessarily good inside mids.

There are 26 players in the AFL who get more clearances than Jack Steven.
30 who get more than Ross.
50 more than Dunstan
63 more than Steele ( who IS only 21 or so ).
90 more than Koby Stevens.

2016 Steven was 18th for clearances. Armitage was 36th.
2015 Armitage was 14th.

Yes we have a lot of inside mids, most of them are 2nd rate.
Steven : Was not up to his usual standard this season. Is a good clearance player, an average contested ball winner.
Ross : Is improving, he's now OK at clearances, though i doubt he'd be as good as the best in any of the other teams. He's also well away from the best contested ball winners.
Armitage : has not been good the last 2 years. if he can wind back the clock a bit he's great. None of our other players have won contested ball like he did in 2015. Koby Stevens is NOT a replacement.
Steele: Youth in his favour, if he can string some performances together he has serious potential. A demonstrated 10 clearances and 20 contested possessions in one game isn't something every player has on their resume. Averaged the most contested possessions for StKilda in 2017
Dunstan : Has demonstrated he CAN get clearances, though no so much contested ball. After 69 games needs to do it a LOT MORE.
Stevens : Is OK without being outstanding.

Its because this lot aren't great I kind of hoped we could trade one of them for a player like Gaff. Dunstan most viable.

Steven. - Trading him would cost us on-ground performance.
Ross. - Trading him would cost us on-ground performance.
Armitage - No currency and potentially a big performance boost if he plays well for us.
Steele - Will be massive, and we just got him in.
Dunstan - Can be covered by one of the others. Not outstanding in any area.
Stevens - Unlikely to be tradeable after one year.

Dunstan averages the same number of contested possessions as Sinclair.

I swear sometimes I think people don't watch any games when it comes to discussing players. Tomlinson is a defender and would take Nathan Brown's position if he came to us. Yes he is an athletic freak and has great insurance.

The talk of him playing anywhere but the backline is crazy. And for what it's worth he is a good solid 1v1 defender. He is worth around pick 12 and if we give up pick 7 I'd want a second coming back our way.
No doubt he'd come as a defender, it's what we need.

But it's understandable people are asking what his best position it. He was drafted as a forward and only found a spot in the Giants side when he moved to defence last year. He's also played some very good footy on the wing for the Giants, as well as racking up 52 and 44 touches playing through the middle in the NEAFL.

You'd be arguing with people at your own funeral ...
I wondered what you were talking about...then remembered I put Plugger on ignore...BF is now a wonderful place!

No doubt he'd come as a defender, it's what we need.

But it's understandable people are asking what his best position it. He was drafted as a forward and only found a spot in the Giants side when he moved to defence last year. He's also played some very good footy on the wing for the Giants, as well as racking up 52 and 44 touches playing through the middle in the NEAFL.

I wouldn't worry about NEAFL form. If you cant get 40+ on a regular basis then you should just give it away.

I wondered what you were talking about...then remembered I put Plugger on ignore...BF is now a wonderful place!

All it means is you know less and less about the game of footy. I love it people lack so much confidence that they need to tell others who they have on ignore because they like the likes. All I think is they are as soft as butter. Anyway you will just miss the big trade news I just heard about involving our club. Very interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back