Callum Moore
Mabior Chol
Tyson Stengle
Jason Castagna
Ivan Soldo

Delistings/Retirements
Ivan Maric
Chris Yarran

That is 8 senior listed players still to be signed plus the 2 already moved on meaning just on a quarter of the list are still to be told of their futures.

At this stage I'm expecting the following to happen which goes against what some others believe should/could happen.

I expect us to explore trading Lennon and Miles as clubs will look at them and think that they have something to offer. Lennon and Miles for picks in next years draft would be ideal given the apparent strength of the draft pool next year. Having been a part of the premiership side I'd give Townsend a couple more years and wouldn't be opposed to Batchelor getting another year on minimum coin as a handy depth player, while Drummond can be delisted with the promise of a rookie spot given he is recovering from another knee reco.

That would mean Hunt Morris and Elton join Maric and Yarran as delistings/retirements.

Those changes would see us head into the draft with the following:
15, 17, 50, 53, 70, 88 & 106

Hopefully Naish is bid on outside the first round meaning we get to use our first 2 picks on a couple of talented kids who fill a need and the 3rd round picks pay for Naish. With the remaining 3 picks I would elevate Castagna and 2 of Stengle Moore or Soldo to the senior list and re-rookie Chol and the remaining rookie who missed out.

Key Dates:
Free Agency Period
Friday 6th October - Sunday 15th October
Wednesday 18th October 3 day matching period ends.

AFL Trade Period
Monday 9th October 10am - Thursday 19th October 2pm

List Lodgement 1
Tuesday 31st October 2pm
  • Promotion of Rookies to Senior list
  • International Scholarship Players
  • Alternate Talent Player Nomination
  • Club Notification of Rookies not accepting new offer
  • Player Requested to be removed from lists(retired)
  • Nomination of Draft Eligible Father/Son players lodged
  • Nomination of Draft Eligible Northern and NGA academy players
AFL Delisted Free Agency Period 1
Wednesday 1st November - Wednesday 8th November

List Lodgement 2 & TPP Estimates
Thursday 9th November 2pm

AFL Delisted Free Agency Period 2
Friday 10th November - Friday 17th November 5pm

Delisted Senior Listed Players Draft Nomination
Friday 17th November 2pm
Players can nominate for National or Pre Season Draft

Delisted Rookies Draft Nomination
Friday 17th November 2pm
Players have to nominate for National draft or not eligible for Pre season or rookie drafts

Final Draft Nomination and Father Son Bidding Nomination forms to be lodged by 2pm Friday 17th November.

AFL Draft
Friday 24th November

Last edited:

knowing full well that we just won with few tall players BUT.......

we MUST still go after talls as an absolute priority. Once hampson, elton and chol are cut, all our eggs are in the basket of moore, garthwaite and soldo. we need to be planning for the 3-4 years in the future when jack, rance and co are close to done. given jack bloomed the quickest and even he took 4 years, it must start now. we also need to consider that we need some more depth for injury.

Besides, in a few years the game will probably change and the small style we have might not work anymore. And even if it would, I dont see why we cant go after a taller player in the mould of jack, who can compete at ground and in the air, even if he isnt a great mark (jack obviously is). a 10cm upgrade on a caddy/townsend (who arent quick) would be perfect. those blokes arent quick but are still able to pressure and fit into the gameplan, so why cant someone taller?

Exit interviews will be Monday and Tuesday?

I wonder if someone will go hard for one of our smalls, such as Castagna... might get a chance to have someone pay overs. We need to be smart in this period to try and position ourselves for a sustained period near the top of the tree. Talls the pressing need.

Agree with the delistings RT noted but would be fine with keeping Miles on the list if we can't get some value for him. No longer need Hunt, Morris or Elton and sad as it is I think Lennon is done at Tigerland.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 15 and 17 to the saints for pick 6 or 7.

Saints offload 15 for Gaff.

Keep 2 first rounders.

We get a top 10 pick and don't give up a first rounder for Naish.

I know trading players like Edwards and Grigg is tempting due to their temporary inflated worth (although FWIW I really rate both), but I feel that it would really undermine our bond that we've formed this year. One of the most important ingredients for our success is how close the group is, trading two of the most senior guys on the list, for perhaps second rounders at most, would shatter that.

I'd be open to trading our first picks if something good came up, e.g. schache, but otherwise happy to take them to the draft and hope that naish slips past. As for list changes I love our depth so wouldn't make too many changes. Would delist Elton and Morris and keep the rest if possible as they are great back-ups and realistically have very little trade value. I'm not sure about Drummond as is yet to get a look-in, but happy to keep him on low wages

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2017 Trade Free Agency and List Management Watch Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back