List Mgmt. 2017 Trade & Free Agency Discussion thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, my mistake. I should have used your word "stint". Better now?

I can't see the point in whinging in 2017 about what may or may not happen in each of 2018, 2019 and 2020.
I'm just making forecasting what I see in store for this list. The only person that is "whinging" is you. No need to have a go at me because I don't see us rocketing up the ladder with a midfield of Cunnington, McDonald, speculative types like Mountford and kids we haven't even drafted yet.

So you enjoyed going to the footy more this year than last year?

Despite making the finals, the second half of last year was painful to watch and yes, I enjoyed this year to that

Of course winning 10 games to start the year was enjoyable but I think many knew it was a false dawn - we just didn't think it was that much of a false dawn!

I'm just making forecasting what I see in store for this list. The only person that is "whinging" is you. No need to have a go at me because I don't see us rocketing up the ladder with a midfield of Cunnington, McDonald, speculative types like Mountford and kids we haven't even drafted yet.

Whatever, if you feel the need to look at it that way, fine.

Personally, I'm on the side of the people here who are getting sick of the unreasonable pessimism.

Personally, I'm on the side of the people here who are getting sick of the unreasonable pessimism.
I'm optimistic in the long term. Pessimistic in the short-med term. I think the fact that we have so few young high draft picks and then also so few mid-aged/older players to trade to boost our draft position shows that the list is in a very poor state. We're also hurt by a lot of our best or most promising players being injury prone (Ziebell, Higgins, Garner, Wood, Wright, Jacobs, Ahern etc).
Next year's draft couldn't have come at a better time for us and pick 4 this year should also be really handy in getting a gun for the future. I think we have a really strong and supportive club culture to nurture young kids and our older players (Tarrant, Ziebell, Higgins, Brown, Macmillan etc) are all strong leaders. Also think we'll see the benefit from hitting the 2013-16 drafts so hard for KPPs. Having McKay, Durdin, Larkey, Brown, Nielson, EVW, Watson etc means we can focus on midfielders for the next few drafts and hopefully by the time we come through the other side should have a strong and well balanced team. I don't see 2018-21 being our time to strike though.

yep- my area is currently massively overspent due to a series of unforeseen events over the last 3 months, I have asked finance for an increased budget and if they could sack the dills in my team!!

On the footy front I haven't bothered asking as it's quiet and we're not trying to bring anyone in, we're focused on getting players out. And what i find concerning or if that's to strong a word then try interesting, we it would seem have best 22 that no on else wants. And while the reasons may vary the end result is still far from flash.

Buckle up the next couple of years will hurt like Hansen instead of Selwood.

12 debutantes of which 11 are still on the list (Wagner gone) - another 10 who are under 23. Thats 21 players or half the list under 23 and who all have 1 to 2 or more years under their belts now. Then the core of around 8 between 24 and 27 and another 7 of which 4 are 29 one 30 one 31 and one 34. I think there should be genuine optimism about the next 2 years and even more so if we go to the draft. Not sure where this sudden "we are shit and will be for the next X years " has come from.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even if you had a problem with it there is nothing you can do but suck it up and just watch the youngsters have a crack

I enjoyed this year more than the bullshit 9 - 0 streak the year before - some of our kids are exciting to watch

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

12 debutantes of which 11 are still on the list (Wagner gone) - another 10 who are under 23. Thats 21 players or half the list under 23 and who all have 1 to 2 or more years under their belts now. Then the core of around 8 between 24 and 27 and another 7 of which 4 are 29 one 30 one 31 and one 34. I think there should be genuine optimism about the next 2 years and even more so if we go to the draft. Not sure where this sudden "we are shit and will be for the next X years " has come from.

My concern is that out of that list of debutantes only Simpkin appears to be a true A-Grader, they are all solid however.

Over the next few years (1-6 in other words the time that these players will reach their ceiling) we will lose, Goldy, Thompson, Swallow, Thomas, Higgins, Zeibell, Cunnington, Tarrant all of which at times have been influential for us. Again the players in the deb list will cover some of that and we have a good opportunity with pick4 plus next year potential FS but I feel we need to augment that with more high picks in this draft. That is where my concern is at.

SEN news breaker Sam McClure believes that a Geelong youngster has spurned significant interest from North Melbourne and chosen Carlton as his next club.

The journalist for The Age says out-of-contract Cats forward Darcy Lang will announce his intention to join the Blues in coming days, leaving his current side after four seasons at the Cattery.

“Darcy Lang is moving closer to the exit doors at Geelong footy club and my understanding is that Carlton lead the race there.,” McClure told SEN Breakfast.

“He has toured North Melbourne and met them a couple of times. He’s also met with the Carlton footy club and I think that Carlton are in the box seat to gain his services for next year.”

Lang was recruited with pick 16 in the 2013 AFL National Draft, and had 44 games and kicked 31 goals for the Cats.

However the small forward is seeking greater playing time at a new club, having had limited opportunities with Geelong this season after suffering a shin injury in Round 14.

However he returned to play in the club’s final two matches of the season, impressing in their semi-final win over Sydney with 24 disposals and seven score involvements.

Tim Watson believes the youngster will make a significant impact at the Blues should he move there.

“He is not a big name in this game, Darcy Lang, but he is a very good player,” he said.

“What we saw him play in the finals, that game he played at the MCG, he showed that he has a lot of football left in him.”
Cool...he's coming to North then.

My concern is that out of that list of debutantes only Simpkin appears to be a true A-Grader, they are all solid however.

Over the next few years (1-6 in other words the time that these players will reach their ceiling) we will lose, Goldy, Thompson, Swallow, Thomas, Higgins, Zeibell, Cunnington, Tarrant all of which at times have been influential for us. Again the players in the deb list will cover some of that and we have a good opportunity with pick4 plus next year potential FS but I feel we need to augment that with more high picks in this draft. That is where my concern is at.

McKay will be one if he stays back and doesn't get KTFO...

You can't fast track a rebuild in the equalisation era with a salary cap. Its simple as that.

Sure we can pay heaps for free agents but the cap prevents you getting all of them. Plus by doing this you may improve a bit reducing your draft position the next year.

Patience is something we will need over the next couple of years.

As a high draft pick we expect and hope Jy to be A-Grade but the challenge for our development team is to glean some A-Graders from our 2nd, 3rd and 4th round selections.

Despite hopes, BBB was not expected to be A-Grade but lo and behold, he is. We need to ensure two of Durdin, McKay, Larkey, Nielson, Pruess become A-Grade. While we will try and draft (and Free Agency) elite Mids going forward, how good would it be if one of Mountford, Williams, Ahern, Clarke, Zurhaar etc came from nowhere to become A-Grade al la Sloane or Priddis whom came from a long way back to be A-Grade

Next year, we've got to hit FA hard. Once the AFL world sees that our youth is actually pretty damn decent, FA's would be more attracted to the club.

McKay will be one if he stays back and doesn't get KTFO...

Yep.

My point is it will be a while before we are truly competitive.

Our last GF was 99 the 2000s were mind numblingly vanilla we tried to get there 2014/15 but we are starting again, I hope this doesn't develop into a rich, stk or wb type drought

This years premiership was won by a side that contained only two genuine A-Graders.

As a high draft pick we expect and hope Jy to be A-Grade but the challenge for our development team is to glean some A-Graders from our 2nd, 3rd and 4th round selections.

Despite hopes, BBB was not expected to be A-Grade but lo and behold, he is. We need to ensure two of Durdin, McKay, Larkey, Nielson, Pruess become A-Grade. While we will try and draft (and Free Agency) elite Mids going forward, how good would it be if one of Mountford, Williams, Ahern, Clarke, Zurhaar etc came from nowhere to become A-Grade al la Sloane or Priddis whom came from a long way back to be A-Grade

Yep that would be the goal but im not full of faith that this coaching set up can achieve that, recent history has been littered with players under performing a few surprises aside,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back