List Mgmt. 2017 Trade & Free Agency Discussion thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've got bugger all currency to deal with to trade up. It's all well and good to get annoyed at North for not trading up higher picks for elite talent, but we have nothing to work with ATM. This could change after a season as some youth show how good they really are and clubs will start chasing them and offer overs to get a few of them. Outside trading aged veterans, who's current stock price is low due to their age, we have little choice but to give it a year and get the picks we need for academy and father-sons.

I'm not sure this is true. I think we could get top ten picks for Brown, Cunnington and Tarrant; then 10-20 for Higgins, McDonald, Ziebell, Wood (perhaps), and Garner.

Im not saying that that list of players is a poor one, but whilst talented I see them being essentially a replica of what we had circa 2014/15 good to very good but not quite enough to get over the top for a flag.

Like I said above our goal should be to try to upgrade picks in this and next draft to augment that solid core. I think carrying all three of daw/goldy/pruess is foolish and if we can use one to get into a better drafting position whether we get into the higher rounds or upgrade something then we should look into it.

I still think we have enough experience to guide the young guys so I don't see it as a melbourne situation.

Bang what?, those two elite players were able to take a game by the scruff of the throat and seemingly win a game off their own boot. Even if Simpkin turns into an A grader do you see any current players as being able to do what Martin does. It was what stopped us taking the next step in our previous tilt and may just stop us again.

Shows that you dont necessarily need a boatload of A graders for success. 22 soldiers all marching together can get the job done as evidenced by 2016 and 2017 premiers.

Of our list I would see to different degrees the following players as tradeable, some may not be worth a lot and most I would prefer to keep

Goldy
Wood
Dumont-
Durdin-
Clarke

Probably not worth the effort
Daw
Atley-

Actually this list probably tells us a lot about the drafting and development on our list we have jettisoned 1800 games of experience and have only the compo pick for wells to show for it, plus never got close to a flag. The fact is we need to be creative and find a way to be able to keep an open mind and consider more non conventional deals.

Wood
Dumont-
Durdin-
Clarke

you are taking the P155 now surely ....

I enjoyed this year more than the bullshit 9 - 0 streak the year before - some of our kids are exciting to watch

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app[/QUOT
But they were genuine A-Graders.

A top 3 of Martin/Cotchin (in the finals series anyway) and Rance is something that at this stage I can see us replicating.
Reiwoldt makes 4 A graders i would think. Its all gravy what won the flag was deep b grade talent. Wich is shown by our vfl playing in the granny

Shows that you dont necessarily need a boatload of A graders for success. 22 soldiers all marching together can get the job done as evidenced by 2016 and 2017 premiers.

No but you need at least a couple of dominant players, realistically Im not sure any (maybe simpkin) of those listed will be that guy.

Wood
Dumont-
Durdin-
Clarke

you are taking the P155 now surely ....

All of which I rate as players and would like to keep but all are tradeable, if you get the right deal

No but you need at least a couple of dominant players, realistically Im not sure any (maybe simpkin) of those listed will be that guy.
McKay and Simpkin are the only two I see making it as A-graders.

All of which I rate as players and would like to keep but all are tradeable, if you get the right deal

WOW - NONE of them are tradeable at this point of a rebuild - it puts us 4 players backwards. What are we getting 4 picks in the second/third round - you wont get first rounders/or player swaps so therefore thats insane thinking. You keep these guys and push on.

WOW - NONE of them are tradeable at this point of a rebuild - it puts us 4 players backwards. What are we getting 4 picks in the second/third round - you wont get first rounders/or player swaps so therefore thats insane thinking. You keep these guys and push on.

OK mate, maintain the status quo nothing will change.

For what?

Trading those guys would be sideways moves, particularly in a shallow draft year. What are we going to get for Clarke, a second round pick who might be just as good as he is but 2 years further behind in his development?

Those are the B-B+ level players that I would expect would form the core of our next challenging side, with the top end added through high draft picks over the next 2 years and then FA acquisitions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For what?

Trading those guys would be sideways moves, particularly in a shallow draft year. What are we going to get for Clarke, a second round pick who might be just as good as he is but 2 years further behind in his development?

Those are the B-B+ level players that I would expect would form the core of our next challenging side, with the top end added with high draft picks over the next 2 years and then FA acquisitions.

So you think these players will magically develop into being able to hoist us into contention mode. I think those 4 will be solid but that's it, if you persist with these types and they maintain where they are now we are 2 years behind anyway.

So you think these players will magically develop into being able to hoist us into contention mode. I think those 4 will be solid but that's it, if you persist with these types and they maintain where they are now we are 2 years behind anyway.

No we move on players like Thomas and Swallow as has been reported. You continue to develop the 4 blokes you mentioned. Crazy stuff to be getting rid of those four.

For what?

Those are the B-B+ level players that I would expect would form the core of our next challenging side, with the top end added through high draft picks over the next 2 years and then FA acquisitions.

Yep this. Spot on.

Those 4 (aside from Wood actually) are all under 23. Clarke is a second year player. What do we do when the 2nd rounder we get for Clarke gets to his position in a couple of years time? Do we trade him for yet another pick? That just leaves us in a state of perpetual rebuild.

I don't expect any of those guys to carry us to a flag; but I would expect them to develop together to the point where they're 25/26/27 and forming the core of our side while the A-Graders we pick up with high picks and FA over the next few years do the business at the top end. It's these guys that will be our Vlastuin's, our Ellis', Our Astbury's, our Dahlhaus', our Roberts', our Daniel's etc.

I get what you're saying but you're looking at the wrong guys and the wrong age profile. If we're being serious, the guys we should be looking to trade out/delist are the middle of the road, C-B grade 25/26/27 year olds, but who might still have some currency, like Atley, Macmillan, Thomas, Mullett or players that are older, clearly past it and have no chance of being part of our next push, like Swallow, Goldy, Gibbo (which we did).

Those 4 (aside from Wood actually) are all under 23. Clarke is a second year player. What do we do when the 2nd rounder we get for Clarke gets to his position in a couple of years time? Do we trade him for yet another pick? That just leaves us in a state of perpetual rebuild.

I don't expect any of those guys to carry us to a flag; but I would expect them to develop together to the point where they're 25/26/27 and forming the core of our side while the A-Graders we pick up with high picks and FA over the next few years do the business at the top end. It's these guys that will be our Vlastuin's, our Ellis', Our Astbury's, our Dahlhaus', our Roberts', our Daniel's etc.

I get what you're saying but you're looking at the wrong guys and the wrong age profile. If we're being serious, the guys we should be looking to trade out/delist are the middle of the road, C-B grade 25/26/27 year olds, but who might still have some currency, like Atley, Macmillan, Thomas, Mullett or players that are older, clearly past it and have no chance of being part of our next push, like Swallow, Goldy, Gibbo (which we did).

Correct - Durdin 21 Dumont 22 Clarke 20 Wood 24 - this is not the age profile we should be looking to offload.

Hence my view is we need to get creative.
Getting creative in a weak draft and getting a weak return in minor pick upgrades gets us nowhere. Next year is the year for creativity, not now. Take our medicine, get a high pick for next year and get our father-sons and academy picks.

Last edited:
FMD trading Clarke.. we sound like a bunch of lads muttering about pawning off stolen TVs and copper piping, after spending half the night huffing glue in an Abbotsford squat. End this abominable week ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back