List Mgmt. 2017 Trade & Free Agency Discussion thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any updates on today's happenings? Who'd we get? Who'd we trade? Who'd we delist? Did we move up the draft order?

looking forward to reading the awesome news.
I think we're lucky to have probably our most prominent ITK also one of our most prominent shitstirrers. Other boards wish they could.

He would be the 2nd or 3rd best player at our club. Dumb post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Disagree. Whilst he may be 2nd or 3rd for us...he aint at Adelaide.

Two 1st rounders massive overs IMO. Agree he has been trading on being a no.1 pick rather than putting runs on the boars since.

Carlton will have 20 (TWENTY) first round picks on the list if they get two picks back for Gibbs (subtracting him from the equation). TWENTY. That's astounding.

And they are still a bottom 4 club.

That's precisely why trading good or very good players for unproven ones is not a sound recruiting strategy and thankfully one that our club has mostly avoided in recent years.

Any best 22 player still under 28yo should never be suggested in any trade unless it's to bring in another player who will walk into our best 22.

Trading a best 22 player who wants to stay at North for even a 5-10 range pick is nonsensical because they may not make it.
e
And they are still a bottom 4 club.
That's the draft though. As other posters above have said..draftees are unproven and it is often very hard to split (like this year's top 4) and gems like Danger etc can be unearthed or lucked into outside of the top 2 or 3 picks.

I personally believe draft picks are over valued in the eyes of many people, and would rather trade later round picks for players with track records, so long as they fit our age profile.

Eg people bang on about how shallow the draft is, yet (what is now) 23 is sacrosanct. I would have entertained trading it for Stringer and Dogs 3rd. As for Balic being traded in the 60s....FFS what are we doing? We must have a.*Hird type identified for our 3rd rounder.

How did that work out for Melbourne? For Carlton?

The reality is that Scott/Club went for a long-shot flag and in doing so, got to a point most of the senior players have little to no value or letting them go would hurt the development of the team. They all talk about Goldstein because they know Preuss has the quality to take over the role and we probably wont be killed in the ruck. Goldy's pay isn't an issue at all, we could theoretically pay his entire contract providing him salary free for 2 years. The problem is he is contracted, he has to agree to leave. You don't want to destroy the culture of the club to try and fast track a rebuild maybe one year prematurely, you put more at risk than you potentially gain.

Hawks got nothing for pushing Mitchell and Lewis off a cliff, nothing that is going to hasten their rebuild, it put an immense amount of pressure on O'Meara and Mitchell 2.0, so what was gained? List space for 5th round picks? Woo hoo!

This is a nothing article and Pelican offers nothing in terms of an alternative that is either realistic or would provide us with an advantage, he only knows one way, get rid of players until you become noncompetitive and then have the club tell you to take a hike.

He hasn't taken into consideration the type of players we have recruited over the last 4-5 years, the setbacks many of them have had with long-term injuries or what exactly the clubs needs. The reality is we are unlikely going to get what we need in this draft by putting anyone one on the chopping block, we aren't going to get an early first round pick, nobody has that value.

Goldy has a contract, we can't put a gun to his head and tell him to go. We can say Preuss is our priority and he may have to play a lot more in the VFL in the next two years, but if he doesn't want to move it is more likely because he has kids and it can be complicated with kids, especially if you aren't on good terms with the mother. Moving interstate might compromise his access to his own kids, depending on his relationship. We don't know the details, I doubt he knows the details either.

Given the route we have gone, it would seem pretty obvious that our club would like to have access to more/better picks, we just don't have the currency.

I am not sure I agree "long-shot flag" we were on schedule and then injuries absolutely cruelled us and we are still to recover.

I am not sure I agree "long-shot flag" we were on schedule and then injuries absolutely cruelled us and we are still to recover.
"lots of clubs had injury issues this year"
"North's injured players arent even in their 22"
"North's injured players are spuds"
"every team has injuries....something a good club deals with. its called depth. North have no depth"

Funny how Freo, Suns and ourselves sitting near the bottom whom were crucified with injuries...and mediocre teams who have average lists (Port and Richmond) who had next to none were sitting near the top.

Injuries came when we played better sides when we lost most of the games in 2016 and thats what happened. We never had the rotation that Bulldogs had with our list so we lacked experience on players outside our best 22. Bulldogs did it this year and it didnt work out well at all....which was part of the reason why they had an unsettled team (performance wise).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“You can’t rebuild by delisting players”… Take a risk North, says Pelchen

Former St Kilda and Hawthorn list manager Chris Pelchen has urged North Melbourne to accelerate their aggressive rebuild by looking to take more risks at the trade table.

After delisting a slew of veterans, including AFL games record holder Brent Harvey last season, the Kangaroos have continued that trend in 2017. The likes of Sam Gibson and Lachlan Hansen have been moved on, while Andrew Swallow and Lindsey Thomas seem likely to depart the club.

Despite the big name cuts, Pelchen isn’t sold on North’s rebuilding plan, thinking they need to start getting a return on their senior players.

“I have been confused with what North Melbourne is doing,” he told SEN Breakfast.

“I know that they’re looking to rebuild, but if you’re going to rebuild, you need to look at trading some of your more established players out for players who will attract interest from other clubs and take a risk.

“They’ve delisted half a dozen guys, and yes some of those players like Gibson could still play at this level next year, potentially Hansen as well, and Aaron Mullett is another one. They’ve got no return on those guys. They’ve got salary cap space but they haven’t got anything done in a trade.

“If you’re going to rebuild, you need to let something go and take a calculated risk. You may be criticized publicly for it in the first 12 months because that player could be performing well at an opposition club, but you have to look at the bigger picture.

“You can’t rebuild by delisting players. All you’re going to do is allow the cycle of one pick in each round to dictate your draft and that’s not good enough.”

Todd Goldstein’s name has been mentioned in the rumour mill constantly, but it’s believed the 2015 All-Australian has attracted minimal interest from rival clubs. One of the elements working against the Roos’ favour with the 29-year-old is his financial situation.

“I think Goldstein is an obvious one, but he is a highly paid player, which then puts a bit of an anchor around a trade,” Pelchen said.

“They should be offering to pay a substantial amount of Todd Goldstein’s money to try and get some value back in a trade sense.”

“I have been confused with what North Melbourne is doing,” he told SEN Breakfast. - It's pretty obvious isn't it? 11 debutants last year and we're putting games into them instead of Gibson, Mullett and Hansen.

“I know that they’re looking to rebuild, but if you’re going to rebuild, you need to look at trading some of your more established players out for players who will attract interest from other clubs and take a risk." - Sorry, which established players are expendable and would have opposition clubs drooling so much they're going to be throwing Top 20 picks at us?

“They’ve delisted half a dozen guys, and yes some of those players like Gibson could still play at this level next year, potentially Hansen as well, and Aaron Mullett is another one. They’ve got no return on those guys." - Maybe because nobody else showed one iota of interest in giving up anything worth having on Gibson, Mullett or Hansen?

“They should be offering to pay a substantial amount of Todd Goldstein’s money to try and get some value back in a trade sense.” - I'm fairly certain someone has thought of this but no one wants him because he's been shit for 2 years.

“I have been confused with what North Melbourne is doing,” he told SEN Breakfast. - It's pretty obvious isn't it? 11 debutants last year and we're putting games into them instead of Gibson, Mullett and Hansen.

“I know that they’re looking to rebuild, but if you’re going to rebuild, you need to look at trading some of your more established players out for players who will attract interest from other clubs and take a risk." - Sorry, which established players are expendable and would have opposition clubs drooling so much they're going to be throwing Top 20 picks at us?

“They’ve delisted half a dozen guys, and yes some of those players like Gibson could still play at this level next year, potentially Hansen as well, and Aaron Mullett is another one. They’ve got no return on those guys." - Maybe because nobody else showed one iota of interest in giving up anything worth having on Gibson, Mullett or Hansen?

“They should be offering to pay a substantial amount of Todd Goldstein’s money to try and get some value back in a trade sense.” - I'm fairly certain someone has thought of this but no one wants him because he's been shit for 2 years.
It's pretty ****ing obvious I would have thought. It astounds me so many people are so ignorant.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

We need to bottom out so well done by the club. Its plan B after missing out on Martin and Kelly and despite the shit that's been flung at us, stick to the course.

Pelchen is the luckiest recruiting manager EVER and he now thinks he's an expert. Come at us all of you flogs.

Wow - just wow

So 6 years ago in the midst of the GWS and GC draft years he picked a guy with our first pick at 18? that had the best kick in the draft but no other elite skills and it unfortunately didnt work out for us? Joyce must be useless. You should probably understand that Bryce Lewis was likely the one prioritising the talent at the time in the draft and not Joyce.

Not only that, pick 18 wasn't even really "pick 18" because they had the ability to pre pick the eyes out of the draft with 17 year olds. It's the equivalent of something like pick 40 in a normal draft. Wanna guess how many of them are a bust?

Then again....if Richmond can win one....anyone can. I really need to make a poster of that and put it on a wall.

Of Arden St...

They are going to be a force to be reckoned with in the future

Mate, people have been saying that about Carlton since Chris Judd went there. See it then believe it. Potential is the dirtiest word in the world.

We never had the consistency of effort, would put in 3-4 howlers per year, never consistently played well on the road, our skills weren't consistent at a high standard, our pressure wasn't consistent. Brisbane and GC weren't a certainty on the road, we don't show up in Adelaide, we are somewhat competitive in WA.

It was a long shot, it would have been a Bradbury flag if we managed to nail one, would have needed a WCE or Crows type of GF lay down effort on the road to have a hope and that was extremely unlikely because we never played well enough to win a double chance/home finals.

Barely scraping into the 8 was never a form-line that inspired confidence that we were a realistic contender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back