List Mgmt. 2017 Trade & Free Agency Discussion thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So will GWS come knocking on the door tomorrow morning for Goldy? Either way glad it’s all over tomorrow , been a boring trade period thus far.

I dunno, i thought its been pretty short. Havent been paying much attention since we have a track record of trading steak knives for steak knives and allowing all currency to drain out of players where we cant even get steak knives.

I do understand the uproar re trading our best/favourite senior players - I realise the importance that they bring.

However,

I also understand the need to change and plan and be bold as a football club. We can't keep playing everyone on our list until they have no value - especially with where our list is currently at. The most important thing for us now, is planning for our next run at finals which is realistically 2020.

How do we do this? Well this isn't my job, and the suggestions that do get put forward get bombarded with negativity - but all I ask is that we plan as well as we can over the next 3 drafts and trade periods to ensure that the list is in a position that can take us to the promise land. For me, allowing senior players to fizzle out of form and lose any value between now and then is not the answer.

Would love to get involved in this Weller trade but I feel like Gold Coast don't quite have the later picks for it.

2 and 37 for 4 and 23 is giving up too much from our end, but 2 and 26 for 4 and 23 doesn't make any sense for Gold Coast. If they had a pick around 30 it might work.

Would be amazing to get in a position to grab one of LDU and Rayner, who seem to be the two real difference makers in the draft. Would you significantly downgrade 23 for that opportunity?

Not sure about all year round, but it should start the day after the season ends and finish about a month or so before the next one begins. There should also be non-consensual trading and live trading on draft night. It would be a far better, and fairer for the clubs, system. I also wouldn't be opposed to a mid season trade/draft period of about a week so you can adjust to surprises or injuries.
The fact is, no matter how long or short it is, a stack of deals will get done on the last day. Pelchen said this 10-odd years ago.

There will always be deals where you think the offer you have might not be the best possible. So you don't sign off on them until you're sure nobody is coming along with a better offer. This means 12:00 tomorrow. If it started yesterday, or a month ago, there really is only one day that counts.

Would love to get involved in this Weller trade but I feel like Gold Coast don't quite have the later picks for it.

2 and 37 for 4 and 23 is giving up too much from our end, but 2 and 26 for 4 and 23 doesn't make any sense for Gold Coast. If they had a pick around 30 it might work.

Would be amazing to get in a position to grab one of LDU and Rayner, who seem to be the two real difference makers in the draft. Would you significantly downgrade 23 for that opportunity?
I don't follow the draft very closely but if the top 2 are difference makers then we absolutely must do that deal if it's on the table. Would be crazy not to.

Depends how good the 23rd best player in the pool is.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Tarrant, I get the arguments for trading him but I'd be concerned if, say, Thompson got injured or began to fall away. Big risk that kids are exposed in a below-average team and their confidence deteriorates.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think you have to think about it and discuss it. As it all depends on how old they are. Tazz is great but he is a rapidly aging KPP. Ok. Maybe he ages just like the rest of us but he's still almost 30. He does have obvious currency in trades. And we haven't been doing much of that lately.

The club obviously isn't doing it so as I have said there is no need to argue

But I will finally say, it's better to get something for older players. Particularly when previously ageing champions have left for nothing

The problem with that comes when you want to retain players. If players think they’re going to be traded off when nearing their later years, they’re more likely to take an offer from a rival club while in their peak, especially when there’s the possibility of premiership success.

Players aren’t just a commodity that can be sold off for max return.

The problem with that comes when you want to retain players. If players think they’re going to be traded off when nearing their later years, they’re more likely to take an offer from a rival club while in their peak, especially when there’s the possibility of premiership success.

Absolutely. I think clubs have to be very careful, that in cutting lists, as we have done the last two years, the loyalty factor becomes secondary and survival as an AFL player becomes the primary emotion. I think there might be a bit of a shock factor to the rest of the playing group in the de-listing of Gibbo and Fishy. That sort of de-listing needs to be managed carefully and bearing in mind I have no idea how the discussions with these two were handled, I would have preferred for them to be retained on the list through the trade period and then de-listed if no suitors turned up.

There could even be a commitment with both of these players that they would be rookie listed for another year if they didn't find trades. Both remain of AFL standard however if rookied would be handy as both depth players and in the new VFL outfit.

Two rookies, being Fordham and Taylor have already been de-listed, which in my view shows that while there are some success stories out of the Rookie lists of clubs, there are also many who never make the grade. I doubt if we would miss out on much in a supposedly poor draft year if Gibbo and Fishy were rookied rather than us taklng a couple of speculative kids.

There needs to be sensitivity in the handling of the departures of all players and we cannot afford to appear too harsh or as Donkey Chop has stated, we may have greater trouble in the future, retaining players at their peak.

Probably won't be taken up but we could try trading 4+23+Swallow for Suns 2+26

Sure. But I certainly don't think you could say that about north to this point. We have never approached one trade with that kind of thinking. And I'm not saying you make it an ongoing policy. But if it was a win win for both parties, as in you ask tazz if he would rather rebuild at North over the next 3 years or play finals for more money, he might not be against a move.

North get a potential good player for the future. And we have a real look at what Durdin and Neilson have got. We have kept Thompson for depth, hell as someone else said we could have kept Hansen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back