2nds 2018 Casey Demons Thread - Grand Finalists

Remove this Banner Ad

Balic is injured if I'm not mistaken??

Pretty terrible game from Casey on Saturday night. Started in the middle with playing a 23rd man as ruckman against Zac Smith. Zac Smith for the most part sucks, but the skinny 17 year old was no match for him. Not sure where Filipovic or King were (injured?) but that hurt a lot.
Pederson was ok and presented pretty well, but nothing to write home about. Garlett was poor i thought, choosing when he felt like having a crack.
Tim Smith clearly best on ground for Casey, but I don't know how Smith, Hannan and Fritsch can all play in the same forward line? All far too similar for mine.
Petty looked shaky with the ball, and did a few silly things. Plenty to work with, but i think he is still a long way from senior selection.
Stretch seemed to play more inside in the VFL, which might be why he can't string any form together. Plays inside at VFL level, puts a couple of games together, comes to AFL and is expected to play outside. So not only does he have to step up a level, he has to change his role also.
Sam Frost is just about the dumbest footballer ive ever encountered, but i still really like him for some reason. At one stage he was at full back, gets a goal kicked on him, and as he takes off to run to the bench he still turns around and lips off to his opponent. I dunno why, but i really liked it for some reason - the dude youre playing on just embarrassed you, but you still have the hide to turn around and mouth off.
Unfortunately haven't seen much improvement from Declan Keilty since coming onto the Rookie list. He still plays his role well for Casey, but he hasn't gotten any better in a full time environment unfortunately.

If you have any specific questions about players from Saturday night, just ask, i'll see how good the memory is.
Dion Johnstone?

Dion Johnstone?

DJ seemed to play a bit more midfield than i have seen from him in the past. I wasn't a fan of him in the middle. He got lost around the contest very easily and i thought it was a pretty poor game in general.
I'm still very bullish about him overall though. He still did some nice things, and i really like his aggression, but very limited impact in his time on the ball. With Balic, Trac, Viney all out, our mdifield at Casey has obviously suffered a bit, so I'm not sure if his move into the mids was more out of neccessity, or if they are trying to add something to his game, but if something they are going for long term he is a fair way off. He is worth persisting with though in my opinion, he works hard and goes hard at the ball and the man, and his disposal is clean, so if he can work on positioning himself better at the contest i still think there's plenty to work with.

DJ seemed to play a bit more midfield than i have seen from him in the past. I wasn't a fan of him in the middle. He got lost around the contest very easily and i thought it was a pretty poor game in general.
I'm still very bullish about him overall though. He still did some nice things, and i really like his aggression, but very limited impact in his time on the ball. With Balic, Trac, Viney all out, our mdifield at Casey has obviously suffered a bit, so I'm not sure if his move into the mids was more out of neccessity, or if they are trying to add something to his game, but if something they are going for long term he is a fair way off. He is worth persisting with though in my opinion, he works hard and goes hard at the ball and the man, and his disposal is clean, so if he can work on positioning himself better at the contest i still think there's plenty to work with.
Thanks mate.

Any word on what’s actually happening with Balic?

Stretch seemed to play more inside in the VFL, which might be why he can't string any form together. Plays inside at VFL level, puts a couple of games together, comes to AFL and is expected to play outside. So not only does he have to step up a level, he has to change his role also.
That it so spot on. I've been saying it for ages. They play him in a different position in the seniors. Hell, they used to play him in the midfield in the VFL then pretty much off half back in the Demons side!

I think there's plenty to like about him, and he has a knack of kicking some important goals.

Someone else mentioned getting 4 kicks and 16 handballs as a sign he's done? Seems to me that in the VFL that is his role. He plays inside. I think his light frame and the way they want him to be this speedster outside ball mover in the AFL confuses people as to what his game really is. Problem is, to be a true insider, he'd probably need to bulk up, and to be a true outsider he doesn't really have the explosive pace.

Damien Keeping appointed coach of the women's team, to replace Colin Garland who quit about a month ago for personal reasons. Don't know if I'm keen on a failed AFLW coach getting the gig. And an appointment made only a few days before the first match, and actually after the season has started (Casey had a bye this week), is not the best preparation.

Damien Keeping appointed coach of the women's team, to replace Colin Garland who quit about a month ago for personal reasons. Don't know if I'm keen on a failed AFLW coach getting the gig. And an appointment made only a few days before the first match, and actually after the season has started (Casey had a bye this week), is not the best preparation.

About time the Casey women's team had their own thread, I think.

VFL round six
Casey Demons v Box Hill
Casey Fields
Sunday May 13 Home, 2.00pm

B- 42. J Wagner 44. J Smith 55. H Petty
HB- 56. O Baker 45. D Keilty 33. J Kennedy-Harris
C- 29. J Hunt 72. J Viney 13. C Wagner
HF- 12. T Bugg 17. S Frost 36. J Garlett
F -54. H Balic 38. T Smith 47. L Filipovic
R 21. C Pedersen 2. M White 15. B Stretch

Int
37. D Johnstone 18. J Lockhart 9. M Gent
22. G Lok 27. A Scott 14. M Lewis 6. J Munro 24. C MacHaya
23P 39. J Di Pasquale

(Log in to remove this ad.)

VFL round six
Casey Demons v Box Hill
Casey Fields
Sunday May 13 Home, 2.00pm

B- 42. J Wagner 44. J Smith 55. H Petty
HB- 56. O Baker 45. D Keilty 33. J Kennedy-Harris
C- 29. J Hunt 72. J Viney 13. C Wagner
HF- 12. T Bugg 17. S Frost 36. J Garlett
F -54. H Balic 38. T Smith 47. L Filipovic
R 21. C Pedersen 2. M White 15. B Stretch

Int
37. D Johnstone 18. J Lockhart 9. M Gent
22. G Lok 27. A Scott 14. M Lewis 6. J Munro 24. C MacHaya
23P 39. J Di Pasquale
That’s an unbelievably strong VFL team. I don’t know if we have fielded a stronger team than that in the VFL in the last ten years.

Yep. 16 of the 18 on the ground are AFL listed!

And the other two were formerly listed, if that is Mitch White listed as on the ball.

Plenty of interest in this game. Balic and Viney back from injury, Hunt with plenty to prove, and Petty and Baker should be refreshed after the bye to hopefully continue their good starts to the season

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds 2018 Casey Demons Thread - Grand Finalists

Remove this Banner Ad

Back