List Mgmt. 2018 Draft/Trade/FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're 12 or 8 you can be embarrassed
But if you're older than 18 with half an idea about football and you have any understanding about what's going on at a football level then your comment is imbecilic
It's not pretty but we are the worst team in the comp at the moment for a number of reasons not all readily controllable- and we played the best team whose modus operandi is ultimate pressure on the ball carrier followed by a dynamic spread at the ensuing turnover
Richmond had close to their best 18 on the paddock yesterday
They will likely win another premiership
Even with our best 18 we're probably nowhere near them
It makes me sad after 10 years of seemingly going nowhere-but that's the reality
To blame Dew for poor disposal and bad decision-making under pressure from the best team going round is childish
You can sit with my kids next match if you like-sounds like you have a lot in common
I commented on how the team were playing including some of my favourites like Miller who butchered his disposals but he was far from alone.
What I blame Dew for is not being prepared to put the best team on the park.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I blame Dew for is not being prepared to put the best team on the park.
Barlow parents ill, apart from Scrimshaw I can't see who is available vs Richmond that can improve the result .( Shoenfield , Sheer , Heron , Spencer ,Dawson).

Gold Coast are eyeing Geelong free agent George Horlin-Smith as an option to bolster their midfield stocks.

While he is far from a certainly to join the Suns, it’s understood Gold Coast have substantial interest in Horlin-Smith, 25, who has played just four senior games this year, the most recent in round nine.

The South Australian, who could walk to Gold Coast as an unrestricted free agent, has been limited to just 51 games in almost eight years since being drafted by the Cats at pick 37 in the 2010 draft.

He played 21 matches in 2014, but that remains the only year in which he has reached double figures. He has again struggled for opportunities this year, unsurprisingly given the loaded nature of the Geelong midfield, which includes Patrick Dangerfield, Gary Ablett, Joel Selwood, Mitch Duncan, Tim Kelly and Scott Selwood.

While the Suns’ tall department will take a hit with the departure of Tom Lynch, their midfield is particularly short on quality players over the age of 22, having been depleted by the loss of Ablett, Jaeger O’Meara and Dion Prestia to rival clubs.

Aaron Hall, strongly linked to North Melbourne, is out-of-contract and looks a good chance to leave as well.

The Suns have tried to renew the depth of the midfield in recent years. They gave up pick two in last year’s draft to land Lachie Weller from Fremantle, and have also acquired Harrison Wigg and Jarryd Lyons from Adelaide in recent seasons, as well as bringing in cheap reinforcements like Nick Holman and Michael Barlow.

Horlin-Smith has been on the Suns’ radar before, having been thrown up as a possible part of the trade that ultimately got Ablett back to Geelong at the end of last year.

Inside midfielder Horlin-Smith signed a three-year extension with the Cats in 2015, and is renowned as an exceptionally good character, who would help the young Suns list. A talented junior cricketer, he led the Australian under-16 team on a tour of the West Indies in 2008.

Daniel Menzel is Geelong's other free agent, also falling into the unrestricted category, and has been linked with St Kilda.

Gold Coast are eyeing Geelong free agent George Horlin-Smith as an option to bolster their midfield stocks.

While he is far from a certainly to join the Suns, it’s understood Gold Coast have substantial interest in Horlin-Smith, 25, who has played just four senior games this year, the most recent in round nine.

The South Australian, who could walk to Gold Coast as an unrestricted free agent, has been limited to just 51 games in almost eight years since being drafted by the Cats at pick 37 in the 2010 draft.

He played 21 matches in 2014, but that remains the only year in which he has reached double figures. He has again struggled for opportunities this year, unsurprisingly given the loaded nature of the Geelong midfield, which includes Patrick Dangerfield, Gary Ablett, Joel Selwood, Mitch Duncan, Tim Kelly and Scott Selwood.

While the Suns’ tall department will take a hit with the departure of Tom Lynch, their midfield is particularly short on quality players over the age of 22, having been depleted by the loss of Ablett, Jaeger O’Meara and Dion Prestia to rival clubs.

Aaron Hall, strongly linked to North Melbourne, is out-of-contract and looks a good chance to leave as well.

The Suns have tried to renew the depth of the midfield in recent years. They gave up pick two in last year’s draft to land Lachie Weller from Fremantle, and have also acquired Harrison Wigg and Jarryd Lyons from Adelaide in recent seasons, as well as bringing in cheap reinforcements like Nick Holman and Michael Barlow.

Horlin-Smith has been on the Suns’ radar before, having been thrown up as a possible part of the trade that ultimately got Ablett back to Geelong at the end of last year.

Inside midfielder Horlin-Smith signed a three-year extension with the Cats in 2015, and is renowned as an exceptionally good character, who would help the young Suns list. A talented junior cricketer, he led the Australian under-16 team on a tour of the West Indies in 2008.

Daniel Menzel is Geelong's other free agent, also falling into the unrestricted category, and has been linked with St Kilda.

This looks like a journo has rehashed a article from last year to make it easy on himself when we where in for GHS , since then we have lost footy manger , list manger so can’t see any truth in it .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd take him.
He's had a good year should be able to get 2 maybe 3 years out of him then move into coaching.

Go get McVeigh, Lloyd and Newman
Yeh, I reckon they'd be good gets for you guys. On another note, Swallow has just confirmed he wants to extend his contract and wants success at the Suns. If you can get the same out of May then things might start to come good.

GC actually don't want to be taking any free agents this year or you will dilute the compo pick for Lynch.

GC actually don't want to be taking any free agents this year or you will dilute the compo pick for Lynch.
A GHS contract won't be big enough to affect the Lynch compo.

Worst case is that if we think it might and just trade a 4th rounder or something to the Cats for him.

Jon Ralph said on afl tonight that Gold Coast have contacted Sydney to inform them despite the rumours about them being very interested in Jake Lloyd they won't be offering him a contract.
He said the Suns have changed focus and will be going after midfielders and key positions players in the trade period.

Also said Swallow will re-sign on a long term deal and again mentioned his brother Andrew will be looked at for a development role with the Suns

Wasn't it Ralphy a few weeks ago saying Swallow is looking for a way out?

Good to see we are going to be more focused in the Trade Period instead of going scatter gun. Lloyd would be a nice cream player, but not what we need at the moment.

Craig Cameron said tonight he expects to take 5 picks in the top 30 to the draft and inject more quality kids to the list.

Said we will have a decent list turn over this year.

And chatting to him afterwards, he likes Lukosius a lot...

Good - should be Walsh or Lukosius at #2

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Craig Cameron said tonight he expects to take 5 picks in the top 30 to the draft and inject more quality kids to the list.

Can we play 2MP, Crossley, Day and Lukosius in the same team ?

Last edited:
Cameron also said we are going to bring in multiple mature mids via trades/pre-season draft/rookie draft, but no big dollar A-graders. Going for reliable depth and hopefully a few diamonds in the rough from state leagues.

Makes me wonder how much truth is in the Levi Casboult rumours then.. We'll be a bit bare up forward with bedwetter departing but I am expecting 2MP will become our number 1 key forward.

Can we play 2MP, Crossley, Day and Lukosius in the same team ?
In 4 years time, Lukosius is probably your best forward/player and you look to build your forward structure around 2MP and Lukosius and ask, which players suit those two.

Lukosius is an elite kick, possibly the best in this years draft class. And as has been mentioned before, he can play in a similar style to Nick Riewoldt, up down the field.

I’m supportive of Cameron taking 5 picks to the draft. But if we are getting mature players in at well then 8-10 people have to be moved on... In addition may mean we don’t pick up so many academy players

Cameron also said we are going to bring in multiple mature mids via trades/pre-season draft/rookie draft, but no big dollar A-graders. Going for reliable depth and hopefully a few diamonds in the rough from state leagues.
Good work mate, I’m glad Cameron liked lukosius because we would be silly not to take him if he was there. Glad they are doing the smart thing and getting the correct players in. Hopefully it’s done right this time

I’m supportive of Cameron taking 5 picks to the draft. But if we are getting mature players in at well then 8-10 people have to be moved on... In addition may mean we don’t pick up so many academy players
Agree with the 5 draft picks - but very wary of the 'mature' players to be bought in. For example - I'd stick with Lonergan if it were a choice between him and Horlin-Smith. Better the one you know - than taking a chance on another's cast off.
As for the Academy players - I think the club should have a policy that selects it's best Academy performers . Why fund an Academy if you don't propose to utilise its best product..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back