Analysis 2018 List Management discussion Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also rate the ability of Cuningham Pickett Macreadie McKay O'Brien TDK Polson Byrne Kerr & LeBois but it's very early days for them and they haven't shown enough, YET
I think O'Brien and McKay have proven that they are clearly AFL standard footballers at the very least.

Any chance one of the Hickmonts is picked up as a rookie? Hopefully it encourages the other to come play VFL in the hope of getting a rookie spot the year after and maybe Adrian will come over as a coach.
Not sure they are really talented enough for AFL level. Not every young player that got surname of parent or uncle is good enough for elite level. In fact vast majority are not. Walls, Sheldon, Hunter, Bradley, Goold and Buckley are some kids that sons of gun footballers from our club that were good footballers themselves but still not so good that top level they could master. I do not have high hopes on Hickmott's ever playing at this level but sure they can be good state level or suburban grade footballers. Wayne Johnston's son is very good footballer in suburban stuff. Hicky's kids will probably be the same. Do not get your hopes up too much on those guys. I looked up their stats in WAFL colts about 18 months back and did not stand out as anything to get excited about. Who knows, they may develop. If one of them had a good season this year or next, they got time on their side for sure.

looked up their stats in WAFL colts about 18 months back and did not stand out as anything to get excited about. Who knows, they may develop. If one of them had a good season this year or next, they got time on their side for sure.

I think you must have been looking at the wrong stats or they improved, one of them won the WAFL colts bandf

I think you must have been looking at the wrong stats or they improved, one of them won the WAFL colts bandf

They may have improved. When I looked it was at least 18 months ago and they may have improved but at this years state championship I never heard their names mentioned so I have never felt any need to look up how they going as sounds like not in national draft sight. I have assumed rookie draft sounds about the heights the one old enough to draft has any hope. Their stats I looked at were very underwhelming at time. They probably good kids, enjoy their footy like thousands do of that age but only around 70 each draft batch get drafted. It is still a big ask to expect them to get picked up. I hope the older one does, just to get a chance. If either develops anything like their father they can make it. He did not really make impact until he mid to late 20's from memory.

They may have improved. When I looked it was at least 18 months ago and they may have improved but at this years state championship I never heard their names mentioned so I have never felt any need to look up how they going as sounds like not in national draft sight. I have assumed rookie draft sounds about the heights the one old enough to draft has any hope. Their stats I looked at were very underwhelming at time. They probably good kids, enjoy their footy like thousands do of that age but only around 70 each draft batch get drafted. It is still a big ask to expect them to get picked up. I hope the older one does, just to get a chance. If either develops anything like their father they can make it. He did not really make impact until he mid to late 20's from memory.
I agree. We all love the romance of f/s. But they simply don't have AFL characteristics. Not big enough. Not athletic enough. And nothing special about their skill level or footy smarts. Solid state league players. But unlikely to end up much more.

I really like Ed don’t get me wrong. Met him in south Melbourne and had a chat for 20 mins great guy, do not disagree about that. Just his disposal this season has been really poor, often at times when there is no pressure. It’s IMO. We can never actually know, I like his Hardness at tackling and getting the ball, but I think his disposal would keep him out of a top 4 team.

Because of the game Carlton play, poor disposal hurts us more than pretty much all teams other than WCE and Hawthorn. Ed’s disposal is not that bad and if he played for Rich or Coll you would not really notice it.

With McGovern , Setterfield , Fasolo and Walsh added :

Simpson Weitering Plowman
Docherty Marchbank Williamson
SPS Cripps O'Brien
Murphy Curnow Pickett
Fasolo McKay McGovern

Kruezer Keneddy Dow

Fisher Setterfield Curnow Walsh

To big down back imo need that shut down player like lamb. An take out pickett who for some reason people keep over rating I'd rather lang with a full pre season

To big down back imo need that shut down player like lamb. An take out pickett who for some reason people keep over rating I'd rather lang with a full pre season
Too big down back? Weitering and Marchbank as the talls. Plowman as a medium defender who can play tall or short, and three rebounders. How is it too tall?

Lamb won't even be on our list this time next week.

Carlton have got 2 good quality young players in Setterfield and McGovern through trade, but what it has cost us is a lack of other tradable assets and room in our roster. We can’t bring in any more players (including pick 1) without a delisting. In addition, we have completely depleted this year's draft hand and have a lack of future assets. Our best chance is to upgrade our late picks to a team desiring draft points, which might get us to pick 68+. In itself that isn’t good. The 2 players who are almost guaranteed to be taken in this draft are Walsh and Silvagni so we need at least 2 picks (1 and the latest pick we can get) as draft points aren’t necessary.

2 delistings need to be followed. Off skill, it’s Graham and Kerridge. But Graham mightn’t go. Jack Silvagni reported on SEN that Graham is the mood setter in the team alongside Daisy. This might cause him to be rookie-listed since he’s still part of the team although he isn’t a good AFL player - not for a lack of VFL form. Rowe is also rumoured to be rookie-listed. Lamb is almost guaranteed to get another contract, being a high-quality small defender.

Players won’t get rookie listed until the rookie draft, so Kerridge will have to go soon to create space for player movement.

SOS allegedly reported there would be 8 list changes. ATM there’s 6

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 delistings need to be followed. Off skill, it’s Graham and Kerridge. But Graham mightn’t go. Jack Silvagni reported on SEN that Graham is the mood setter in the team alongside Daisy. This might cause him to be rookie-listed since he’s still part of the team although he isn’t a good AFL player - not for a lack of VFL form. Rowe is also rumoured to be rookie-listed. Lamb is almost guaranteed to get another contract, being a high-quality small defender.
No

So Paddy Dow, SPS and Setterfield are at their peak only B grade talents at best.

Right... o_O

There's a difference between being honest and being negative.

Depends on what you consider to be A-Grade.

So Paddy Dow, SPS and Setterfield are at their peak only B grade talents at best.

Right... o_O

There's a difference between being honest and being negative.

Depends on what you consider to be A-Grade. One definition might be in the top 5 players in the AFL. Another might be at least three time All Australian. Either way, this is a very subjective discussion.

Kennedy is a gun. People will be surprised at how good when he is fit. Big, tough, finds it inside, good hands, clean and can use it. Just a smart footballer. Just one of a 100 reasons we will improve significantly in 2019
Improve significantly? What does that mean? I would be happy with 4 wins next year with big steps made by say 6 of our young guys. Is anyone more bullish than that? 8 wins would be over-achieving in my view?

Improve significantly? What does that mean? I would be happy with 4 wins next year with big steps made by say 6 of our young guys. Is anyone more bullish than that? 8 wins would be over-achieving in my view?

I have no doubt there will be "significant" improvement. Wins are hard to judge because there are so many factors and we still don't know our list for next season.

If you were to ask me know I have no doubt that 6-8 wins is very achievable. Key is getting our players fit and staying fit. Do that and anything is possible.

I have no doubt there will be "significant" improvement. Wins are hard to judge because there are so many factors and we still don't know our list for next season.

If you were to ask me know I have no doubt that 6-8 wins is very achievable. Key is getting our players fit and staying fit. Do that and anything is possible.
6-8 wins would be pretty epic I think. Obviously we are in transition but 6-8 wins would put us a year ahead of where I think we are. I hope you are a better judge than I am!!!!

Depends on what you consider to be A-Grade.

Depends on what you consider to be A-Grade. One definition might be in the top 5 players in the AFL. Another might be at least three time All Australian. Either way, this is a very subjective discussion.
Just goes to show how meaningless terms like a grade really are.

It should have been 8 wins last year, but our fitness staff cooked that entirely as the competition (bar GC) shifted their practice.

6-10 should be the target this year.

It should have been 8 wins last year, but our fitness staff cooked that entirely as the competition (bar GC) shifted their practice.

6-10 should be the target this year.
Again, I really hope you are right but there were at least 10 games last year where we were non-competitive. I think 4 wins for 2019, 8 wins in 2020, and finals in 2021. Am I being to pessimistic?

Being our highest quality small-defender*
Still no

Again, I really hope you are right but there were at least 10 games last year where we were non-competitive. I think 4 wins for 2019, 8 wins in 2020, and finals in 2021. Am I being to pessimistic?
Yes. You need to remember that a more optimally prepared side won't just run out games more, they'll execute better throughout the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back