Autopsy 2018 Rd 16 Bolton's Battered Blues Belted By Brisbane *Play Nice*

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Games like that emphasise that the club wont be taking Lukosius with pick 1 .
Totally smashed in the midfield for run and uncontested possessions , 24 marks inside 50 for Brisbane is incredible again emphasises the lack of run and accountability up the field .
Midfield issues need to be addressed in the off season with the best available draft assets we have .

Yeah because another key forward to help Charlie isn't what we need either?

I'm partial to doing a deal with the Suns for pick 3 and another later 1st for pick 1.

That gets us a midfielder and a forward.

You are a top poster numbers !

It just annoys me that we have all these kids who are picked on ability, and they get sucked into a team totally lacks self belief.

Ok we’re not winning games, but hell, we’re out of games after an hour.

That’s an above the shoulders thing.

????? Marks on JSOS can’t have only 9 disposals.Dosent get it often enough.There are excuses for players who have not had any preseason ie Lang,Kennedy (who was good today).

Games like that emphasise that the club wont be taking Lukosius with pick 1 .
Totally smashed in the midfield for run and uncontested possessions , 24 marks inside 50 for Brisbane is incredible again emphasises the lack of run and accountability up the field .
Midfield issues need to be addressed in the off season with the best available draft assets we have .

Midfield issues? We have issues all over the park and only one first round pick.

Even when the midfield get the ball it's either Charlie or bust for the forward line.

He holds his ground quite well in tackles, strong base.

Durable, consistent, leadership pedigree.

Still probably the lightest midfielder in the draft. I'd be most upset if he ends up being a Darcy Parish.

unacceptable effort. Same old players letting us down with poor skill errors.
We are a rabble there is no other way to describe it. It’s clear as day that this zone that we try to implement once a month doesn’t work! We get belted every time we try to play a high press ... Melbourne, Freo, North Melbourne, Brisbane I can go on....

Like clockwork Bolts will come out and say effort is unacceptable etc etc and for the next two games we’ll play man on man and be competive and go down by a few goals. Three weeks later after the media say Carlton have played a few “competitive” games our fearsome leader will try the high zone defence again and we’ll get belted off the park.... rinse and repeat!!!!! When’s he going to realise that he doesn’t have the cattle to do this.
We don’t have the small forwards to pressure the ball carrier, our midfield is one paces and at the moment all of our half backs are injured.... I mean blind Freddy can see what’s going on in these beltings. It doesn’t help when we have so many plodders on the ground but ffs Bolts plan for what you have!!!

We are a disgrace and let’s be honest we are going to get creative with pick 1 to try and get some more midfielders with class into this team because we are miles off.

Bolts has next year to turn this around or he’s out.

Polson - see you later offers nothing .. is too small is not clean and doesn’t put enough pressure on.

Graham - out
ROwe - out
Wright - what’s happened is finished
Jones - poor disposable and brain fades kills us
JED LAMB - if there is a player in the history of the Carlton football club who is more hated by our own supporters I can’t recall... is a smart arse, and a rubbish footballer.

Marc Murphy today proved once and for all that he is not the captain of this football club from next year onwards.... diabolical leadership all day

We will kill Cripps and Charlie if we don’t turn this around and soon

That was bad,but what can you do. I'll go to bed as a Carlton supporter and i'll wake up as a Carlton supporter. For me there is no other option. Some of the comments on the matchday thread were a disgrace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Polson certainly wasn't the worst out there today. But he has played about 6-7 games right now and it still looks as if he hasn't had a single clean posseion coming in. Every time he gets the ball, it is only ever fumbling, juggling, sloppy hands. Then comes a series of clangers. Needs to do more than apply pressure.

There was a reason why Lang was initially dropped to the VFL. Today was the reason why. Understandable that he came as a late selection in. But he looks so disinterested. It's like he only wants to contest when he feels like it.

O'Brien while alright towards the end, must've had O'Shea's boots on. Almost every single kick went straight down the throat of a Brisbane player. Without the proper support, he has absolutely no composure.

Pickett was the same. Came good very late, but no one and I mean NO ONE gets caught holding the ball where he did, especially to a team like Brisbane. That was just pathetic. Almost could have answered for whether he'd get a game or not next week.

And the answer is pretty simple. FFS, PLAY HARRY MCKAY!!! Even if it were an attitude problem, I wouldn't blame him. It seems he's been set higher standards compared to the rest. After the delivery today, I honestly couldn't fault him if he were to have played and fail to make an impact.

Last edited:
Thought SPS was solid, Fisher came good as the game went on, good to see L’Ob get his first goal, Lamb is ok in defence. Marchbank, Kennedy good early. Thomas battled manfully. Polson faded after first quarter. Little glimpse in the last with the run off half back and the long kick to Graham.

I would play McKay for the rest of the season. Hopefully Cuningham back in the VFL next week then straight back into the 22 afterwards.

Ins: Simpson, Dow, McKay
Out: Weitering (inj), Phillips (inj), Graham,

Ins Next year: Docherty, Williamson, Plowman

this with lang out ....

Our problem is our coach thinks he is smarter than he actually is.

The first sign of this was switching weitering up forward after his first stellar season in defence, he hasn’t been the same player since. Bolton thought it would be a good idea to teach every player to play multiple roles on the field, that failed miserably.

Next Bolton wants to play this zone defence that only results in our players being stuck in no mans land every time the opposition have the ball, and he can’t accept that he is wrong so continually sticks with it.

Next after that is Bolton thinks that going in tall every week against smaller faster opposition is the smart thing to do, problem is he is to dumb to recognise you can’t control the air when half your team can’t hit the side of a barn with their kicks.

And lastly, he thinks that by playing these mature hacks every week that somehow it will make us more competitive when it is these same mature hacks that drag the team down every week instead of helping the kids.

Wake the **** up bolton, you are not as smart as you think you are .

course I'm disappointed, Bb - ultimately it's a game - you'd think some of these posters had just had their pet dogs rotary-hoed into the lawn.....

Alas for many it's an ingrained tradition. Tribal and for the absolute majority is probably part of their identity so with that emotional and financial investment there will be a lot of people who are deeply crushed by days like today (I admit I am) and openly question things.

I have said before that a 1-21 year would be a disaster for the club. Purely because you don't have that intermittent win here and there to release some of the angst. Loss after loss after loss and the pressure just builds and people will walk away, will be interesting to see how crowds hold up and when membership restarts how quick people will recommit.

So we will get number 1 pick and I would say a good chance of a priority pick...no idea what number that will be. Probably for another thread but what should we do with these picks?

We won't get it if we don't ask for it!

And this club is too pigheaded to not want to stand up to media nobodies and let them dictate our list management strategy to us

Pathetic

Think it has a lot to do with us throwing extra numbers behind the ball against better teams.

It’s why we always stay competitive but never actually win or go on the front foot.
You can have numbers behind the ball and still play attacking footy if you work hard enough in transition and take the aggressive kicks.

I thought last week against Port was probably the best balance I've seen between attack and defence maybe all year. If we broke even in the middle last week, I reckon would've won.

It's baffling how easily our structure has turned to shit against Brisbane and Freo. It can't be that easy.

I'm gonna be seriously annoyed if Mckay doesnt play next week. We might as well get games into him and it providers an extra target rather than going charlie every time.

You reckon this was worse than the game against the Dees? The one where we lost by 107 points?

You are wrong, and I don't even think that was the worst point, which I'd put somewhere around round 6 last year against Port, where we were insipid with a young squad but Gibbs, Murphy, Cripps and Kreuzer all playing good footy and our back 6 working for once.

As for this game, I say this every single week; why oh WHY do people continue to get surprised at where we're at? Did people expect Brisbane to lie down and just kind of let us win? Did they expect the game to progress in a different fashion once they got on top? Did they expect Brisbane to be an easy beat even at their home ground, the ground where they beat Hawthorn easily up there?

We are not very good at football this year. We're bad. Accept it, and you'll feel a little better. The games we'll win will be from fragile sides the next rung up, who take it easy against us and we sneak a win against them, rather than beating up on sides around our level. Watch the matches instead for signs of progress from the younger players that will be better than their mentors soon.

Samo was great early, but looked like he got switched to the back flank late. I'd prefer to see him play onball all day; he's clean and he tackles hard. Fish was a bit lazy early, but built into the game and his running kick to Graham was classy. LOB tries really hard, and is willing to keep going even if he makes a mistake, which are fantastic traits for a young player. Jack needed to find more of it, how long did it take to switch him into the midfield, he looks great when he's in there. Weitering was terrific for most of the match, why people started tearing into him is entirely beyond me. Marshbank played early like he'd missed nothing, but he marked the ball by slotting in front of Hipwood, and when he stopped Hipwood became unstoppable. Kennedy was terrific early, faded but stayed consistent for most of the game. Charlie is getting tunnelled, and it's the only way they're ever going to stop him; the AFL needs to do something about this ASAP, to avoid players getting seriously injured as a consequence.

Pickett was quiet, and looked stuffed most of the match. Polson did some terrific things, and is worth persisting with, but we needed more tackling from him today, he only laid 2. Lang took some severe short steps, and he doesn't look fit enough.

We needed another option to kick to other than Charlie, and we needed to adjust to their switching play far better than we did. That they milked high contact and the umpires seemed to believe that Cripps and Charlie lack backs, necks, heads, and arms in their adjudication makes it feel far worse, but ultimately this is where we're at.

Deal with it in your own way.

I think you might've misinterpreted what I meant by lowest point and your rationale I totally agree with, in a wasted season like this all I want/hope is to see some young players do some nice things. (As you said Samo, LOB, Polson showed glimpses and give us something to work with.)

My perspective is that if we're going to be comprehensively beaten like today I want to see McKay in the forward line with Charlie amongst others, lets see what we have in reserve and throw them into the deep end.

I'd rather see us at least try one-on-one.

It has to be better than corralling, zoning-off, and getting caught out the back every. single. time.
Feels like a work rate is the real issue. You have to be a pretty bloody lazy team to lose by 10 goals playing in a defensive zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back