2018 Rookies

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, only one deliberate donut. Mid premos are Mitchell, Kelly, Oliver, Crouch, Fyfe. Even choosing the vc and c will be difficult.
Need a DPP so I can swing fwds into midfield during the byes. Currently have Bayok WCE as M11. Looking for max late games.
FWIW Petruccelle can be had $6k cheaper.

I have him pencilled in at present. Not a Roo supporter but went to the North board to look at their best 22. Hibberd marginal at the moment and fighting with 2 or 3 others for the one (possible) defensive position. North have heaps of defenders.

Winning the time trial is a plus. I guess wait til Rd1 team is announced. Their board is heavily in to Ahern M/F making an early debut.
Yeah im thinking ill start him over a Murray/Murphy as a def rookie. He was thought of pretty highly last year and another pre season certantly wont hurt him. dont mind spending the extra 30k or whatever it is on him if he'll get game time which youd think he would barring a horrible pre season or injury.

What are your thoughts on Hibberd going into next year mate? showed glimpes in the couple of games he played and could surely play most games this year depending on his pre season.
Dunno. Given that they’re likely moving Clarke back, he’s competing with him, EVW and maybe Macmillan for a spot. He can go up to the wing as a Gibson-style run-all-day accumulator and competing with Hartung for that role. Marley and Wrighty both need to come back from injury too, which is more competition for general defender spots. I think Atley plays forward this year and ideally Macmillan on the wing, while McDonald will likely be an almost full-time mid/winger.

I like him. He’s taken a couple of games to adjust every time he’s gone up a level and was looking decent when he got injured last year. He’s got a natural tendency to accumulate that will serve him well at his starting price.

There’s a few with good records of being well connected on the North board who say the club thinks very highly of him. Surely he plays a fair bit of senior footy this year.

Dunno. Given that they’re likely moving Clarke back, he’s competing with him, EVW and maybe Macmillan for a spot. He can go up to the wing as a Gibson-style run-all-day accumulator and competing with Hartung for that role. Marley and Wrighty both need to come back from injury too, which is more competition for general defender spots. I think Atley plays forward this year and ideally Macmillan on the wing, while McDonald will likely be an almost full-time mid/winger.

I like him. He’s taken a couple of games to adjust every time he’s gone up a level and was looking decent when he got injured last year. He’s got a natural tendency to accumulate that will serve him well at his starting price.

There’s a few with good records of being well connected on the North board who say the club thinks very highly of him. Surely he plays a fair bit of senior footy this year.
Yeah thanks for your input mate, i think all us coaches over estimate how many young fellas will be getting games this year as we all think north are rebuilding and they'll be getting games into youngtsers e.t.c but at the end of the day im sure Scott will be playing his best 22 week to week. Do you think LDU will walk straight into the round 1 line up barring injury?

Yeah thanks for your input mate, i think all us coaches over estimate how many young fellas will be getting games this year as we all think north are rebuilding and they'll be getting games into youngtsers e.t.c but at the end of the day im sure Scott will be playing his best 22 week to week. Do you think LDU will walk straight into the round 1 line up barring injury?
LDU is a gun. Only a Scott would not pump games into the kid looking towards the future.
Expensive but should play round 1 and score well

LDU is a gun. Only a Scott would not pump games into the kid looking towards the future.
I would have thought so mate yeah, especially now swallows gone.

Well, one of the reasons they debuted 11 players last year was injuries, and some of the injured players would expect to come back into the best 22 so there is still competition for spots between the likes of Durdin/Nielson/McKay and Hibberd/EVW/Mountford/Williams.

One way or another they'll use 30+ players so there ought to be plenty of games for rookies at some point, it’s just a case of when, and do they get a clear enough run to make some cash. Personally I’m well and truly ready to see blokes we’ve invested good draft picks and development time into playing.

And LDU will get the Simpkin treatment and play from rd1.

Ok, I know it’s all lol norf lol Scott but there’s no reason to think he’ll park good kids in the vfl at this point. He definitely had a bias for experience during 14/15/16 when that list was 'peaking' but he pumped games into kids when he started in 2010 and aside from the retiring 4 downgraded Swallow's and Thomas' roles to make room for kids last year.

The problem with North rookies this year is the same as last year: there’s so many to choose from that aside from 1-2 anointed ones you just can’t tell who’s going to get the right run of games at the right time to make money.

Ok, I know it’s all lol norf lol Scott but there’s no reason to think he’ll park good kids in the vfl at this point. He definitely had a bias for experience during 14/15/16 when that list was 'peaking' but he pumped games into kids when he started in 2010 and aside from the retiring 4 downgraded Swallow's and Thomas' roles to make room for kids last year.

The problem with North rookies this year is the same as last year: there’s so many to choose from that aside from 1-2 anointed ones you just can’t tell who’s going to get the right run of games at the right time to make money.
All we need is consistency.

Last year North rookies were all list cloggers

Thanks for answering all things North.

Thoughts on Alex Morgan? Apparently went alright in Norths scratch match.

Did you confuse the name Lyon with Scott?
They don't even sound the same mate..
Want me to get you a napkin for that egg?
Lyon just invented it but Brad mastered it last year didn't he

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are the chances of Mitch Hibberd starting round 1 for the roos and holding his spot, i read a few days back that he won the 2k time trial (i think) i dont mind spending 170 k on a 2nd year rookie if they are going to play a dozen+ games and make some decent money. There has to be a few Kangaroos rookies that will get a few early games surely.

I've noticed a few people have Cam Oshea in defence as a 166 k rookie, is he likely to get many games early for carlton?
At this stage, not likely for a few reasons.

He has to battle guys like Clarke, EVW, Josh Williams, a returning Wright (whose 2015 season stats just shadowed Easton Wood's in a similar role) and Morgan (the guy that joined from Essendon) for the last HB spot. North has a truck load of general defender and HB types atm, which doesn't help Hibberd.

He does however, have a few things going for him. The coaches love him, popular with the supporter base, a proven accumulator at VFL level, one of the fittest at the club, a good size and works hard.

Wright is no guarantee to return being out for nearly two years, Clarke isn't as strong a defender as Hibberd (with Clarke being a natural mid, but is playing back due to his workrate, meters gained and he's an accumulator as well) and Morgan is coming from a long way back, however, he has impressed during match simulations with his class and pace. Josh Williams is a darkhorse for this position, due to his impressive debut against Essendon (first kick, first goal), his sheer pace and class (something Atley has never become at HB), although he is fairly raw and skinny, but at 189cm with his pace and class, he'll definitely get games in 2018. Ed Vickers-Willis (Two Dads) is an interesting one, the club would probably give him an automatic bench spot at least due to his lockdown abilities, has high intelligence, averaged 14 disposals as a lockdown HB type in his first year (which is solid enough in a fairly shit 2017 North side) and rarely concedes goals.

As for other rookie and safer options at North, I have a few suggestions.

Ahern, valued at 123K, a former number 7 draft pick that oozes class, think a Daniel Wells type of replacement as he glides across the field (rather than outright pace like a Smith or an Atley), but he more of a natural accumulator than Wellsy. Has missed 2 years due to ACL issues, but is primed to go round 1, although a bit depends on pre-season form, but there are no long-term injury concerns over Ahern. Also dual position as a MID-FWD doesn't hurt either.

LDU, many on the draft board think he's a star and his class has stood out at North thus far (not hard to do tbh) during match simulations.

More obscure rookie options:
Alex Morgan, is only being mentioned due to his good form during match simulations, but has never was a massive accumulator at Essendon. Starting at HB competing with a number of players.

Hibberd, more of a chance than Morgan, but he can really find the footy.

Ben McKay, played the one game against Brisbane, got knocked the **** out by Sam Durdin, but is very much in the Robbie Tarrant Gorilla Defender mould and seemed right at home. He is touted as a KPF, but can easily end up as a FB, vice versa for Sam Durdin. McKay is battling Larkey and Waite for a spot up forward and Durdin down back at CHB. Thompson and Nielson are fighting for the third undersized KPD spot. Impressed at VFL level as a KPD and scored 50 SC points in two and a half quarters against Brisbane. Like all North KPD's, prefers intercepting the footy and enjoys playing from the front, although not as much as Durdin. Durdin is a safer option here if you are bothering with either of them.

Josh Williams, is lightening quick, has class, but he is fairly raw and skinny, but at 189cm with his pace and class, he'll definitely get games in 2018. Value at 117k atm. Is however, competing with a number of players for only 1-2 spots.

Durdin at 202k is a stretch, but he'll be getting plenty of games in 2018, KPD, but capable of playing CHF with ease. Scored 99 SC points against Brisbane as a roaming Riedwoldt style CHF, kicking a goal, taking a number of marks and picking up 17 disposals. He is very capable of intercepting the ball as well as a KPD, taking 11 marks (18 disposals and 75 SC points) against Essendon earlier in 2017. Is a swingman for North, so immensely valuable and has put on considerable size, so he'll only get better at this stage. * Edit, apparently Durdin's SC price is a bet steeper at 292k, so maybe avoid him for the moment.

Don't worry about Nielson or Larkley, one is a lockdown KPD and the other is a project KPF.

RobZombie has covered the rest in very good detail and actively watches the North squad on the training track quite often.

Last edited:
Thanks for answering all things North.

Thoughts on Alex Morgan? Apparently went alright in Norths scratch match.
Classy and pacey, but struggles to find the pill and is competing with a few for 1-2 spots.

Classy and pacey, but struggles to find the pill and is competing with a few for 1-2 spots.
Had a look at his inside footy ratings over past two years. Seems he was either injured or had little impact on games. I guess JLT will give us a bit more insight into any improvement.

Correct me if im wrong but is this years pre season comp not that afl x comp or what ever the **** they call it? as in its like 20/20 cricket but the footy version so as in we wont get a proper look at the rookies and how they will fare in the season proper?

If so then the Pre season wont help us much at all. If not id be glad to be wrong and move along people nothing to see here.

Correct me if im wrong but is this years pre season comp not that afl x comp or what ever the **** they call it? as in its like 20/20 cricket but the footy version so as in we wont get a proper look at the rookies and how they will fare in the season proper?

If so then the Pre season wont help us much at all. If not id be glad to be wrong and move along people nothing to see here.

2 old school JLT games then the aflx shit

Other way round isn't it?

Pffft aflx **** that shit off and give us back state of origin
I have ZERO interest in AFLX ......can't wait for AFLW

Should be an AFLW SC Comp for us who are totally bored ATM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back